• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching mobile phone contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching mobile phone contract

My 24-month mobile contract with Vodafone expires on the 27th March. I want to switch to another network, but the question is when to do it.

Do I have to wait until the end of the Vodafone contract before switching to avoid any termination fees?

Do I have to give 30 days notice?

I find the whole switching process confusing, when my partner switched she was told different things by the old and new network providers, and it got very messy.

Cheers
    Moose

Call vodafone and ask them, as if you get it wrong it's them asking for termination fees etc.

I have never transferred numbers on contract SIMs, but the two times i have done it on PAYG SIMs it has been smooth experience - Get new sim from the new telco, get the code from the old telco, ring the new telco and give them the code. About 24h later your new SIM has the old number and the old SIM is dead.

Comment

You need to give them 30 days notice (or calendar month- whatever)

Comment

Should be in the contract somewhere in writing?

I just pay GiffGaff on an off for any minutes I use. seems simpler than all this contract stuff. Which, I believe, usually means ends up you paying more and wasting money.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

PAYG - it's cheaper, it's better, switch anytime.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You need to give 30 days notice and it can take 1-5 days to do number porting. Though in reality it should take an hour. Make sure you ask for it on a Monday - Wednesday in case anything goes wrong.

The worse was when I was with T-mobile I ported my number to O2 and it was dead for 2 days. So I had to buy a spare. It was T-mobiile's fault they cut me off early. Other operators you port your number and within a maximum of an hour you are your new network.

As soon as you ask for your PAC, Vodafone will put you through to the retentions department to try and keep you. So if you have found an offer you like with another operator say what it is and you may get similar. If you really hate Vodafone just repeat like a broken record you want your PAC.

Edited to say - every few years I port between O2 and EE simply because they have the best tariffs for what I use my phone for.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

As SE says the time taken to transfer will be less than the notice needed, if you ring up Vodafone and ask for a PAC the number will be ported and you will be billed for the remainder of the 30 days, I have known people wait too late to put the transfer request in after giving the 30 days notice and lose the number as they have left it till a day or two before the contract ends
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                PAYG - it's cheaper, it's better, switch anytime.
                Pay as you go tariff | Help & Support | Tesco Mobile

Comment

Tell them you are not going to renew after this, and ask for PUC code. And then wait......let their retention office call you and provide you with a deal that you can't reject. Happy days. You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by mdhd View Post
                    Tell them you are not going to renew after this, and ask for PUC code. And then wait......let their retention office call you and provide you with a deal that you can't reject. Happy days. You're welcome.
                    That's what I did last time. Except, when the first bill came the discount they promised me was missing. And when I complained they said I should have cancelled within the first 14 days, but seeing as how the first bill didn't arrive until a month later I'm not sure how I could have known.

I tried to get them to listen to the supposedly recorded call, but they procrastinated until eventually it was a case of "Sorry, the recordings are deleted after two months, it's no longer available"

They basically lied to me, accused me of lying, and I vowed that when that contract was up I'd move to another company. Arseholes.

Comment

Working...
                    X