• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FRS VAT Above Low Cost Trader Minimum Spend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FRS VAT Above Low Cost Trader Minimum Spend

Hi,

I have a question as to whether the minimum spend on goods figure to stay over the 2% turnover limit includes VAT or not (not the turnover figure which is inclusive of VAT but) the amount of spend on goods, is that 2% plus VAT or 2% including VAT ?

My actual circumstances are as below

Limited company (me and one employee) turnover per quarter is £35,000

This is £42,000 including VAT per quarter

My understanding is that in order to remain on my current FRS VAT percentage, I would have to spend above 2% of VAT inclusive turnover, so 2% of £42,000 which is £840

My question is this, is my minimum spend on goods £840 plus VAT, or £700 plus VAT (which is £840 including VAT) in order to not be classed as a low cost trader and therefore not to have to move to 16.5% repay rate?

Use gross amounts to work out the percentage. Gross goods purchase costs over gross turnover.

Comment

VAT inclusive figures, so turnover is vat inclusive and costs VAT inclusive. £840 is your magic number.

Comment

so to be clear we need to spend £700 plus VAT ?

which is £840 TOTAL INCLUDING VAT

(NOT £840 plus VAT which would be £1008 total) ?

Comment

Originally posted by jk3838 View Post
          so to be clear we need to spend £700 plus VAT ?

which is £840 TOTAL INCLUDING VAT

(NOT £840 plus VAT which would be £1008 total) ?
          Yes.

Comment

What goods are you thinking off if you don't mind me asking?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              What goods are you thinking off if you don't mind me asking?
              don't mind at all

I'm thinking of purchasing a plotter (which is capital expenditure) and buying in paper and cartridges to supply scale design patterns which I think qualify as 'consumables'

Also we are planning to do more engineering model making, so anything to do with that, steel, wood, modeling clay and perhaps an SLS 3D printing service at some point in the future

Need to confirm with accountant but I think the above will qualify but open to any opinions to confirm or refute that

Comment

Originally posted by jk3838 View Post
                don't mind at all

I'm thinking of purchasing a plotter (which is capital expenditure) and buying in paper and cartridges to supply scale design patterns which I think qualify as 'consumables'

Also we are planning to do more engineering model making, so anything to do with that, steel, wood, modeling clay and perhaps an SLS 3D printing service at some point in the future

Need to confirm with accountant but I think the above will qualify but open to any opinions to confirm or refute that
                The capital expenditure won't count but the consumables should.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  The capital expenditure won't count but the consumables should.
                  yes exactly my understanding

the plotter is capital expenditure and is not included in VAT total

any paper and cartridges purchased each quarter to 'feed it' however, would qualify towards the 2% 'goods' they will require for us to buy for us not to be deemed a low cost trader

So, I think I'm correct in saying that if I use more £700 plus VAT in a quarter, then I can stay on my current FRS VAT rate for that quarter

I will invoice end client for the supply of scale design patterns at a greater value than £700 plus VAT per quarter

Comment

Working...
                  X