• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract and car mileage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contract and car mileage

I have today been offered a contract. The only drawback is it is a bit of a journey to the client site. The agent phoned me and said that the client would pay me a mileage allowance of 52p per mile. Quite generous I thought!. So if I pocket this as expenses can I still claim the 40p (or whatever it is) per mile allowed by the IR? Is accepting a mileage allowance from a client IR35 friendly?

Originally posted by decode
    Is accepting a mileage allowance from a client IR35 friendly?
    No. Quite the opposite I'd say. Employees get mileage allowances, real business just invoice for expenses incurred. As a general rule, I never claim expenses from the client, always via an invoice.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
      No. Quite the opposite I'd say. Employees get mileage allowances, real business just invoice for expenses incurred. As a general rule, I never claim expenses from the client, always via an invoice.
      Shouldn’t make any difference. My barrister charged me mileage to and from his place of work (The High Court) I don’t think that will make him come under IR35.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

ticking the stupid box on your annual PAYE returns puts you under IR35, nothing else. 'Tis but a state of mind.

Comment

The fact that the client pays yourco extra to cover the distance you have to travel is nothing to do with your personal expenses. Your personal expenses are between you and yourco. Pay yourself expenses for the travelling you do on yourco's behalf. Charge the client the extra for the mileage plus 17.5% VAT. Rejoice in the extra profit, and laugh at all the rest of us whose clients don't pay us to travel to their site.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by pickle
            ticking the stupid box on your annual PAYE returns puts you under IR35, nothing else. 'Tis but a state of mind.
            Which box? If you don't mind me asking (I'm new to this and haven't done any PAYE returns yet).

Comment

Originally posted by DeadKenny
              Which box? If you don't mind me asking (I'm new to this and haven't done any PAYE returns yet).
              Its also called "should have asked my accountant box"

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                The fact that the client pays yourco extra to cover the distance you have to travel is nothing to do with your personal expenses. Your personal expenses are between you and yourco. Pay yourself expenses for the travelling you do on yourco's behalf. Charge the client the extra for the mileage plus 17.5% VAT. Rejoice in the extra profit, and laugh at all the rest of us whose clients don't pay us to travel to their site.
                That is what I thought. MyCo charges on a mile based rate. I then claim all of this that I can in order to get the money out of the company sans tax.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadKenny
                  Box 6 on the P35 (Annual PAYE Return) that is due to the Revenue each year by 19th May.

If possible I would avoid claiming travel expenses and try and have the rate increased. If you do have to claim mileage then invoice the company and add VAT (if registered). You then claim mileage at the 40/25p rate from your company.

Any extra is left in the company as profit that can eventually be taken as dividends etc.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                  X