• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There has to be a better way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There has to be a better way

Been on the bench for 6 weeks now and the emails are driving me nuts. I plough through emails from various jobsites which are full of:
    • Roles they emailed to me every day for the last week
    • Roles which have already been filled (originally advertised in January looking for immediate start)
    • Roles which they probably aren't on the PSL for
    • Roles which never really existed
    • Roles I'm obviously not suited for
    • Permanent roles at the other end of the country (my CV and profile everywhere specifies contracts only)

There has to be better ways to do this. I know that the roles I'm most likely to be interested in and stand a chance of getting come from agents calling me direct anyway. These are the ones which actually exist and haven't hit the general marketplace yet and the agency is on the PSL.

Cut out the middle man. When benched, I book out four hours a day for looking for other contracts by whatever means are appropriate - old clients, LinkedIn, etc.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Cut out the middle man. When benched, I book out four hours a day for looking for other contracts by whatever means are appropriate - old clients, LinkedIn, etc.
      This.

Get out there and network as much as you can. You're a business, have to start marketing yourself. Example, join your local Chamber of Commerce, attend technical seminars, etc. Your relying too much on the pimps to do the work for you.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

That sounds harder work than going through the emails

Point taken, I got my last contract based on one I'd done before. I've got a couple of Conferences coming up so I'll book into the recommended hotels and mingle. I should drag myself to the local usergroups and maybe present as well. I've not had any significant bench time in the past once I got my first contract but it looks like I need to up my game. I'm more winding down than building up though so I don't want to go over the top.

My plan B has failed completely. I'm sure the idea is sound but selling it is proving impossible.
        Last edited by BigRed; 9 March 2017, 13:53.

Comment

Close to 50% of my work is repeat business. I spend a lot less energy procuring work from a past client than I do a new one.

A new client can take me up to a year before the first invoice comes through.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
            That sounds harder work than going through the emails

My plan B has failed completely. I'm sure the idea is sound but selling it is proving impossible.
            Yes, it is hard work, I wasn't being glib. It isn't easy either, you turn up to events and your the one standing in the corner alone whilst everyone is networking! Take a deep breath and dive on in there, it does get easier. I like to think for every direct gig your flicking two fingers to the pimps and acting like a proper business should.

I had six months on the bench last year with 3/4 networking events each month, God it was a slog at times. By May I'd almost ran out of ideas with the warchest seriously dwindled. Did two quotes/POCs never heard anything back, but it's good experience ultimately, I've learned which events will be better for me, not just turn up to ones where no one has a clue what I do.

Good luck (seriously).

qh

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              +1 I last used an agent to get a role in June 2012, ever since then its been via my network of contractors I've worked with and previous clients.

Comment

OP: I'd at least start with tarting up your LinkedIn Profile.

qh

Comment

The thing with networking is you need to start doing it before you need to.That way you are use to doing it and you know people.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And if you have to use an Agency cultivate one or two senior 'consultants' over years. Cattle markets are for cattle.

Comment

Working...
                    X