• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

68 Reasons why...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

68 Reasons why...

People voted for Brexit...

A list of reasons given by Leavers, gathered from Twitter, Facebook, comment threads, discussion forums and friends.

1. “Because of all the EU laws that we have no say in.”
    “Name one.”
    “There’s loads. Too many to list.”
    “Name one.”
    “…” (Caller to LBC radio station)
    2. “As a protest vote.”
    3. “Because I want it to be a close result.”
    4. “It [Sunderland] already is [a giant jobcentre]. That’s why I voted Leave, to put everyone else in the tulip like us.” (Twitter)
    5. “To stick it to the toffs.”
    6. “To give Cameron a bloody nose.” (Express website)
    7. “To give Cameron a better negotiating position.”
    8. “Because the EU closed the coalmines.”
    9. “Because I thought we had been in long enough.”
    10. “Because I had the hump.”
    11. “Because now our lads will get out of prison, ‘cos there will be jobs for them.”
    12. “The main reason I voted out was because the EU parliament aren’t elected representatives. The second is, they pass laws that affect us, but we aren’t given a say. Third, we need to sort our own house out” (Joanne, Facebook, giving exactly the same — factually wrong — reason in three different ways)
    13. “Because I felt uncomfortable when a group of brown people got on the bus the other day.”
    14. “Because the EU made them change Marathons to Snickers.” [That decision was taken by Mars, not the EU.]
    15. “Because they banned our bendy bananas.” (Express website)
    16. “Because fishermen now won’t have to throw fish back in the water and Muslim women will no longer be told by their husbands not to wear make-up.” (Caller to LBC)
    17. “Because I’ve lived here all my life and when I was growing up, that street over there was filled with shops.” (TV documentary)
    18. “To stop the Muslims immigrating here.”
    19. “Because I want our old lightbulbs back!”
    20. “Because vaccines should not be mandatory.”
    21. “Because the Queen said.” (Pro-Brexit Facebook group)
    22. “Because we should not be signing up to TTIP.”
    23. “Because we are like Germany, and Germany isn’t in the EU.” [Germany was a founding member of the EU.]
    24. “Because the country is full.”
    25. “To annoy my wife.”
    26. “It will be an adventure!”
    27. “Because the value of the euro is going to go down.”
    28. “So that I can get cheap photovoltaic panels from China.”
    29. “Because otherwise, 7 million Turks will come over here.” (LBC caller)
    30. “Because I am fed up with being ruled by unelected bureaucrats.”
    31. “Because I didn’t want my sons to have to join a European army.”
    32. “Because there’s too many Pakistan people in Glasgow.”
    33. “Because it takes more than 5 litres of water to flush my tulip away.”
    34. “Because EU taxes are making our petrol more expensive than everywhere else in Europe.”
    35. “To send them women in the headscarves back home. One of them stole my mother’s purse.”
    36. “Because I don’t like what the EU is doing to Africa.”
    37. “Because I’m scared of black people. They’re so physical.”
    38. “I don’t want to send money to Greece. I don’t care about Greece.”
    39. “Because the EU does nothing for us.”
    40. “Because the EU has devoted 26,911 words to the regulation of cabbages.”
    41. “Because our prisons are full of Polish rapists.”
    42. “Because the roads in Oxfordshire are full of potholes.”
    43. “Because the EU is anti-semitic.”
    44. “So that we can go back to the way Britain was in the 50s.”
    45. “Because they sold off the water, gas and electricity.”
    46. “Because I couldn’t decide, and my boyfriend voted Remain.”
    47. “Because schools are no longer allowed to hold nativity plays in case they offend Muslims.”
    48. “Because the EU spent £13m on art last year.”
    49. “Because they never vote for us in Eurovision.”
    50. “Because if we stop all the immigrants using the NHS, it will work properly again.”
    51. “So we don’t have to queue at the doctor’s.”
    52. “Because I want a more powerful hoover.” (via Facebook group)
    53. “Because the EU is going to ban toasters, and I love toast.” (BBC interviewee)
    54. “So we can have our electrical sockets low down by the skirting rather than have to put them little higher up the wall.”
    55. “Because they are building houses for Filipinos and it’s blocking the view from my kitchen window.”
    56. “Because I don’t understand politics. This is what my friends suggested.”
    57. “Because there’s too much traffic in Sittingbourne.”
    58.”Because they tell me I need scaffolding to clean my guttering.”
    59. “Because I fancied a change.” (Caller to Radio 4 programme)
    60. “My uncle voted Leave because his sister told him to.”
    61. “Because the European Parliament building is the same shape as the Tower of Babel, which is anti-Christ.”
    62. “So all the ******* Chinks will leave.”
    63. “Because the ensuing recession is going to bring house prices down, and I can’t afford to buy a house.”
    64. “Because I want to buy sweets in ounces, not grammes.”
    65. “Because they don’t pay for NHS prescriptions in Wales and Scotland, and that’s not fair.” (Manchester woman)
    66. “So that I don’t have to pay the bedroom tax.”
    67. “Because I’m fed up of the French burning our lamb.” (Frank, Twitter)
    68. “Because I want to use my teabag twice and the EU won’t let me.”
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

A list of reasons given by Leavers, gathered from Twitter, Facebook, comment threads, discussion forums and friends.
    So you (or someone else) found 68 muppets (actually make that 67, whoever complained about the lightbulbs has a bloody good point) and I'm just surprised it wasn't more. Still, you lost the argument, and I don't really care for the hows and whys.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      So you (or someone else) found 68 muppets (actually make that 67, whoever complained about the lightbulbs has a bloody good point) and I'm just surprised it wasn't more. Still, you lost the argument, and I don't really care for the hows and whys.
      Pretty much what the other 67 basically said
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        68. “Because I want to use my teabag twice and the EU won’t let me.”
        FEckin EU. Out now!!

This year is like a daily wail wet dream for its readers.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          FEckin EU. Out now!!

This year is like a daily wail wet dream for its readers.
          I must admit, the teabag one had me confused, either it's a euphemism (possible) or a horrific mis-translation. Or time to up the social care budget once more...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            I must admit, the teabag one had me confused, either it's a euphemism (possible) or a horrific mis-translation. Or time to up the social care budget once more...
            they are all made up by the losers.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So even if all 68 of those didn't vote to leave, that wouldn't have changed the result.

I voted leave, because having sat on the fence in the run up to the referendum, as I didn't want to be part of a political union working towards a federal Europe (but an economic union - yes please), the outrageous fear mongering bolleaux by Osbourne and threats of a punishment budget along with comments by Juncker tipped me to vote Leave.

Had they kept their ghastly gobs shut, perhaps I and other fence sitters would have voted to Remain instead. Clearly those lies more than outweighed 'the bus'.
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
              X