• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data science and predictability of outcomes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data science and predictability of outcomes.

Why have our resident data scientists not predicted brexit?

They did not ask Mystic Meg?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Why have our resident data scientists not predicted brexit?
      Because it's hard to predict crazy black-swan events?

Comment

So, I work with people who spend more time telling you about their ability and qualifications on machine learning than making accurate predictions.

I'm kind of going to say much of this is pseudo science.

Comment

Comment

There's deterministic and probabilistic. Deterministic requires *real* facts with which to work with. Since they were not presented during the campaign...

So we're left with probabilistic. Probabilistic requires some similar past event with which to make a prediction. This was the first EU referendum we've had so... we are where we are.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              So, I work with people who spend more time telling you about their ability and qualifications on machine learning than making accurate predictions.

I'm kind of going to say much of this is pseudo science.
              you are obviously a cretin

love ASS
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                There's deterministic and probabilistic. Deterministic requires *real* facts with which to work with. Since they were not presented during the campaign...

So we're left with probabilistic. Probabilistic requires some similar past event with which to make a prediction. This was the first EU referendum we've had so... we are where we are.
                No it doesn't. Deterministic vs. probabilistic is a modelling choice (physical processes aren't fundamentally uncertain at macroscopic scales). Probabilistic predictions don't require historical data any more than deterministic ones. A conditional prediction may be better than an unconditional one.

Comment

Where did I say probabilistic prediction requires historical data? I said it requires a similar event. You could create such an event with which to make your prediction. Stochastic processes don't care for time.

Deterministic prediction never makes use historical data either. That's a major slip up in education that is. They measure the likelihood of events through measurement of some quantity.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I read tealeaves. Shout if you want yours doing.

Comment

Working...
                    X