• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passport has to be shown to get work-how many times ! and costs each time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passport has to be shown to get work-how many times ! and costs each time

All

When I started contracting back in 1995 things were alot easier with proving who you were.

I am returning to the contract life after a short spell as permie,and the amount of time/costs incurred for

showing your passport in person to

A> Agency

and now

B>Umbrella company

Why on earth the agency cant share the 'yes its him on the passport' with the umbrella company ?

So ,I spent money on train fares to the agency for a 10 min visit and now an umbrella company want me to visit them {car costs-fuel/parking} for another 10 mins to prove who I am.

Surely a scan of the passport and confirmation from the agency should suffice ?

Another umbrella company were also contacted,and they said a scan of passport was fine,but they dont have a great rep on here.....

Anyone else found this ?

Thanks

Originally posted by Eng59 View Post
    All

When I started contracting back in 1995 things were alot easier with proving who you were.

I am returning to the contract life after a short spell as permie,and the amount of time/costs incurred for

A> Agency

and now

B>Umbrella company

Why on earth the agency cant share the 'yes its him on the passport' with the umbrella company ?

So ,I spent money on train fares to the agency for a 10 min visit and now an umbrella company want me to visit them {car costs-fuel/parking} for another 10 mins to prove who I am.

Another umbrella company were also contacted,and they said a scan of passport was fine,but they dont have a great rep on here.....

Anyone else found this ?

Thanks
    I've hired a look-a-likey. Anything requiring identification or travel I just send woohoo 2.0. Team meetings,go-live, crap holidays I just send woohoo 2.0.

I'm thinking of setting up plan b based on look a likes. If you would like to be my first customer I just need to see your passport, license and a recent utility bill, sorry scanned copies won't do.

Comment

All

When I started contracting back in 1995.. [snipped the life story from such a youngster to The Game..]
      Do you have a beard? That's probably it.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Things changed, now some agencies are not allowed to submit your CV to client before meeting candidate in person and confirming their ID - not all but some signed up such confirmation and demands with clients (usually IBs)
        Please remember the law now even forces landlords to ensure their tenants have legal status in the UK before renting to them, i.e. doing the government job to ensure people have legal status... when you see new Know your Clients / Employees regulations, you'll know its what's required now....
        PIA ...
        Surprisingly, in Europe things are a lot easier going !!! Non of these demands demands !

Comment

Sadly, there is a cost in getting Contracts. It's part of being "in business", tho shortly the Chancellor and his merry band of nitwits are going to be looking at their arses...
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Seriously? Why do you think?

Apart from being able to work it out there are plenty of laws around it now.

Hard life this contracting lark isn't it.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              Do you have a beard? That's probably it.
              Never been an issue for Sue Ellen.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have you not got a fairly unique tattoo, disability, or natural distinguishing mark?

If not, maybe have your bell end inked or some kind of metal attachment?

HTH.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Never been an issue for Sue Ellen.
                  But then I'm a British citizen and when they credit check me I have no crap on my file.

Plus they never look that low.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks for nothing

So glad everyone had an amusing Friday evening posting not very helpful information....

So thanks...

All

A> Agency

and now

B>Umbrella company

Anyone else found this ?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X