• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting through smoke and fire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting through smoke and fire

I feel like my 5 years of contracting have been like working with smoke through fire. I started in IT in central london by recommendation from a friend and earned approx 25k a year. I got bored of the environment and took on a temp contract calculating it was better paid.
    Since then I have been contracting as a field service engineer and have earned anywhere between 45k to 10k a year, depending on how busy i was.
    One thing this work lacks is boredom, one thing I wish it lacked was stress, as getting told by a client that u need to visit 5 sites a day is demoralising.
    Maybe I should make a separate post about the god mode complex that I have seen and sometimes experienced.
    What knowledge do software consultants have, that makes them think they r above swapping out a printer or just doing a rebuild?
    I also admit I have a god mode complex, but I do not compare myself to other IT guys, rather I compare myself to celebrities that get away with doing things that I would get jailed for. Hence, I detest the lamers that only do easy work and get paid more than me.
    I also hate hearing about celebs driving lamborgini diablos as I will be 45 before I can afford one and all they do is get drunk and sell their stories to the papers. What the heck, so long as some idiots are willing to buy heat magazine to fund kate moss drug habit, there will be those that worship celebs for the way they spend their living.

WTF?!!!

Oh please god somebody else wake up. WAKE UP!!!!!!
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
      WTF?!!!

Oh please god somebody else wake up. WAKE UP!!!!!!
      Oh god please will these people go to sleep and wake up on lan in a million years.

The idiots that have nothing to say and cannot think beyond their lonely financial agreements.

If any of them realised a debt could be reduced by allowing a pork sausage up the t40, they would all be clubbing right now and not worrying about being owned.

Half of the adults online seem to be children. A disgrace to the human race.

No wonder asia makes nukes, while westerners make fart cushions.

Comment

Originally posted by azezal
        Oh god please will these people go to sleep and wake up on lan in a million years.

The idiots that have nothing to say and cannot think beyond their lonely financial agreements.

If any of them realised a debt could be reduced by allowing a pork sausage up the t40, they would all be clubbing right now and not worrying about being owned.

Half of the adults online seem to be children. A disgrace to the human race.

No wonder asia makes nukes, while westerners make fart cushions.
        Who's Ian?!!
        What is a t40?
        And what the hell have you been smoking you loon?!
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
          Who's Ian?!!
          What is a t40?
          And what the hell have you been smoking you loon?!
          As your dizzy female I wont charge for english lesson.

Lets begin child.

A Ian or otherwise know as a LAN (Local Area Network), small group of servers and desktops.

A T40 is a battletank, designed by nato to keep chelsea tractors off the roads of london and bagdad i must add. Dont blame me, blame kennie.

Only been smoking hashish and tar. Also injected myself with anabolic steroids and pumped plutonium 357 into my brain with a syrenge loaded with herioin and crack cocaine goin into my joint. Forgive my crood peotry but someone asked. I also pumped a tulipeload of sugar into my arms in the belief i may manage to carry a bladecentre server to the car.

Comment

A T40 is a battletank, designed by nato to keep chelsea tractors off the roads of london and bagdad i must add. Dont blame me, blame kennie.
            No it ain't its an IBM laptop model.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt
              No it ain't its an IBM laptop model.
              Yeah probably.

A ferrarri is an amd laptop.

Comment

Let that be a lesson to you, children, that's what 5 years of being an on-the-road hardware engineer can do to you.

Just say no, it isn't big and it isn't clever.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                  Let that be a lesson to you, children, that's what 5 years of being an on-the-road hardware engineer can do to you.
                  And I think it explains a lot.

Expat in "the youth of today" mode.

Comment

I feel like my 5 years of contracting have been like working with smoke through fire. I started in IT in central london by recommendation from a friend and earned approx 25k a year. I got bored of the environment and took on a temp contract calculating it was better paid.
                    Since then I have been contracting as a field service engineer and have earned anywhere between 45k to 10k a year, depending on how busy i was.
                    One thing this work lacks is boredom, one thing I wish it lacked was stress, as getting told by a client that u need to visit 5 sites a day is demoralising.
                    Maybe I should make a separate post about the god mode complex that I have seen and sometimes experienced.
                    What knowledge do software consultants have, that makes them think they r above swapping out a printer or just doing a rebuild?
                    I also admit I have a god mode complex, but I do not compare myself to other IT guys, rather I compare myself to celebrities that get away with doing things that I would get jailed for. Hence, I detest the lamers that only do easy work and get paid more than me.
                    I also hate hearing about celebs driving lamborgini diablos as I will be 45 before I can afford one and all they do is get drunk and sell their stories to the papers. What the heck, so long as some idiots are willing to buy heat magazine to fund kate moss drug habit, there will be those that worship celebs for the way they spend their living.

nob
                    Last edited by Ivor1; 16 November 2006, 07:56.

Comment

Working...
                    X