• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting contract after 6th April

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting contract after 6th April

Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate someone sanity checking my logic as I am new to contracting (and most of the threads here are related to existing public sector contracts).

I am due to start contracting (CL1 via capita) with a public sector body after 6th April. The setup is that the PSB will use Capita to engage an agency who pay my Ltd company. The PSB offer letter stipulates:

"At all times during the assignment period you will be providing your services as an independent contractor, nothing in this letter or otherwise should be construed as creating an employment relationship between yourself and <PSB>."

I assume this means the PSB, as the client, are declaring my contract outside IR35.

My understanding is that the agency, being the body that pays my Ltd company, will hold liability for paying tax and employer/employee NICs should HMRC come knocking and determine the contract to actually be inside IR35.

As such I do not see the value in IR35 insurance (either enquiry or full liability) as it will be the agency who will have to foot the bill.

Is my logic correct or have I made a newbie blunder and missed the point completely?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by koopa View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate someone sanity checking my logic as I am new to contracting (and most of the threads here are related to existing public sector contracts).

I am due to start contracting (CL1 via capita) with a public sector body after 6th April. The setup is that the PSB will use Capita to engage an agency who pay my Ltd company. The PSB offer letter stipulates:

"At all times during the assignment period you will be providing your services as an independent contractor, nothing in this letter or otherwise should be construed as creating an employment relationship between yourself and <PSB>."

I assume this means the PSB, as the client, are declaring my contract outside IR35.

My understanding is that the agency, being the body that pays my Ltd company, will hold liability for paying tax and employer/employee NICs should HMRC come knocking and determine the contract to actually be inside IR35.

As such I do not see the value in IR35 insurance (either enquiry or full liability) as it will be the agency who will have to foot the bill.

Is my logic correct or have I made a newbie blunder and missed the point completely?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, I fear you have missed the point

They are spelling out that you are not an employee of the client - i.e. you will get no sick pay, holiday, training, redundancy etc, etc. No employment rights.

However, employment status for employment purposes != employment status for tax purposes.

You need to specifically ask about the IR35 status of the engagement, and get it in writing.

However, you are right about IR35 insurance - you won't need it, as you will either be inside (taxes deducted) or outside with the client bearing the liability.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mudskipper; 27 March 2017, 06:04.

Comment

Cl1

You may wish to search previous posts on cl1 contracts and IR35 - most likely to be inside? Manpower substitution?

Comment

Originally posted by John Lane View Post
        You may wish to search previous posts on cl1 contracts and IR35 - most likely to be inside? Manpower substitution?
        Absolutely bloody certain to be. If not, you're on the wrong framework...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          The general consensus being that CL1 = Inside IR35 from April then?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Why is that? I.e. wrong framework?

My client has deemed my role to be outside, and it is Capita CL1 contract role.

Comment

Originally posted by polagon View Post
              Why is that? I.e. wrong framework?

My client has deemed my role to be outside, and it is Capita CL1 contract role.
              Have you had an official confirmation of determination or is it just the agency telling you?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Have you had an official confirmation of determination or is it just the agency telling you?
                Not sure how official it is, but got sent it over from the client who used the new beta tool. "HMRC will stand by the result given unless a compliance check finds the information provided isn’t accurate.". So unless that happens it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by polagon View Post
                  Not sure how official it is, but got sent it over from the client who used the new beta tool. "HMRC will stand by the result given unless a compliance check finds the information provided isn’t accurate.". So unless that happens it should be fine.
                  Happy days then. Make sure you get a correctly worded confirmation together with the signed contract and away you go.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Yes, I fear you have missed the point

They are spelling out that you are not an employee of the client - i.e. you will get no sick pay, holiday, training, redundancy etc, etc. No employment rights.

However, employment status for employment purposes != employment status for tax purposes.

You need to specifically ask about the IR35 status of the engagement, and get it in writing.

However, you are right about IR35 insurance - you won't need it, as you will either be inside (taxes deducted) or outside with the client bearing the liability.

Good luck!
                    Thanks Mudskipper - that's really helpful. I've since clarified and the client has confirmed that they consider the contract to be outside IR35 so happy days!

And as it seems with Polagon's contract, CL1 does not necessarily equate to inside IR35, but perhaps only strongly suggests it.

Comment

Working...
                    X