• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news for Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news for Brexit

And the good news for Brexit is, if you're landed, you'll continue to get your "agricultural" subsidies, paid for by the British Tax Payer

How's that for patriotic, British "Agricultural" Land Subsidies paid for by the British Tax Payer

I am sure there are many members of the NFU who are relieved about this.

Nice

Milan.

As a net contributor to the EU budget the British taxpayer has always been paying the subsidies of UK farmers.

We've just cut out the middle-man.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      And the good news for Brexit is, if you're landed, you'll continue to get your "agricultural" subsidies, paid for by the British Tax Payer

How's that for patriotic, British "Agricultural" Land Subsidies paid for by the British Tax Payer

I am sure there are many members of the NFU who are relieved about this.

Nice

Milan.
      These payments are only guaranteed for two or three years, until about 2020 I think, after which the Government has said it will "review them" or words to that effect.

They sound unfair, but at least they help preserve the countryside and probably result in somewhat cheaper food and less rural unemployment.

My only gripe is that when landowners sell land for development, they should be obliged to repay out of the proceeds past subsidies in proportion (if that is not already the case), although the only snag with something like that is that over time it would amount to gradual nationalization of land as landowners implicit financial obligations to the state steadily increased.
      Last edited by OwlHoot; 1 April 2017, 10:31.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

As a net recipient of funds from the EU Spanish farmers should be lobbying their MP's to ensure the Germans stump up the required extra cash to make up for the shortfall once the UK stops paying into the EU budget.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          As a net recipient of funds from the EU Spanish farmers should be lobbying their MP's to ensure the Germans stump up the required extra cash to make up for the shortfall once the UK stops paying into the EU budget.
          I think it is unlikely that the UK won't be stumping up huge amounts for the privilege of a "comprehensive free trade deal". It will be committed in any case to forking out around 60 billion EUR:

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            As a net contributor to the EU budget the British taxpayer has always been paying the subsidies of UK farmers.

We've just cut out the middle-man.
            You're forgetting that all the money that would have gone to the EU is going to the NHS.

I read yesterday that once again Cornwall is demanding that despite having voted overwhelmingly to leave that the UK tax payer gives them all the money they would have got from the EU.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              I think it is unlikely that the UK won't be stumping up huge amounts for the privilege of a "comprehensive free trade deal". It will be committed in any case to forking out around 60 billion EUR:

Something like three years worth of our old EU bill, or less than five factoring in the rebate (thanks Maggie). Doesn't sounds a bad deal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                You're forgetting that all the money that would have gone to the EU is going to the NHS.

I read yesterday that once again Cornwall is demanding that despite having voted overwhelmingly to leave that the UK tax payer gives them all the money they would have got from the EU.

What's wrong with that? The UK provides funding to the regions. It's not an additional cost.

What will be interesting is finding out how sensibly the EU funding was actually spent. Was it spent on things worthwhile and that improved local lives, created jobs, skills and growth? Or is it going on vanity projects and "Street Art"?

Comment

Cameron is a brexiteer!

David Cameron says he never 'liked' EU and is glad referendum happened

http://dailym.ai/2nndFBD

What a chunt!
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

He said he didn't like the European parliament or the flag, which is not the same as saying he didn't like the EU.

or else he wouldn't have said "I don't want to deal with this sh*t" and resigned.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X