• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New York City bans employers from asking potential workers about their past salary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York City bans employers from asking potential workers about their past salary

New York City bans employers from asking potential workers about their past salary. Oh, I sometimes wish it was illegal for agents to ask that question about my past rates. As well as other questions...
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
      New York City bans employers from asking potential workers about their past salary. Oh, I sometimes wish it was illegal for agents to ask that question about my past rates. As well as other questions...
      Tell them you are bound by a confidentiality clause and cannot discuss them.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Tell them you are bound by a confidentiality clause and cannot discuss them.
        That's exactly what I do, yet some insist on squeezing this information out of me leading to me hanging up on them...

Comment

Some insist on squeezing this information out of me
          Fook me. Some of us fought a war on your behalf. Have you ever considered growing a pair, or would you just like me to print you a T-shirt to wear in your safe space?

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
            Fook me. Some of us fought a war on your behalf. Have you ever considered growing a pair, or would you just like me to print you a T-shirt to wear in your safe space?

I'm not saying I'm giving them that information, am I? I just wish they stopped being such idiots.

Comment

... Oh, I sometimes wish it was illegal for agents to ask that question about my past rates. As well as other questions...
              You're not under oath. Answering agents' questions about your past rates is a great way of bumping up expectations, by exaggerating them!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                You're not under oath. Answering agents' questions about your past rates is a great way of bumping up expectations, by exaggerating them!
                Of course, my answer to the questions "what was your previous rate?" is always my real rate + 2 x markup (but I can be flexible... ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X