• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British government realises Brexit is a mistake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British government realises Brexit is a mistake

The British government is slowly realising Brexit is “an act of great self-harm” and that upcoming EU-UK negotiations must seek to limit the damage, the State’s top Brexit official has said.

The official, John Callinan, said on Thursday: “I see signs in the contacts that we’re having, both at EU level and with the UK, of a gradual realisation that Brexit in many ways is an act of great self-harm, and that the focus now is on minimising that self-harm.”

The remarks by Mr Callinan, the second secretary-general at the Department of the Taoiseach, were delivered at a Brexit seminar organised by the trade unions Impact and Siptu.

Mr Callinan also highlighted the existence of internal divisions on the British side just weeks out from the start of formal withdrawal negotiations with the EU, saying it was clear there was “no single, settled position” on Brexit in London.

“Even within the British government, there are very different views,” he said.

Mr Callinan, along with other Irish officials and Ministers, has been in regular contact with his British counterparts since the UK’s referendum on EU membership last June, in an effort to push key Dublin concerns to the top of the Brexit agenda.
    British government realises Brexit is a mistake, official says

How do we root out the fifth columnists who are spreading these defeatist rumours?

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    British government realises Brexit is a mistake, official says

How do we root out the fifth columnists who are spreading these defeatist rumours?
    Hardly qualifies as a "fifth columnist" since he's Irish, and therefore on the "opposing side" of the argument. You were hoping we wouldn't notice that, eh? Nice try, but no cigar this time, I'm afraid.

Next!
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Of course it is a mistake.

An agent called me for a job in Bristol yesterday. Offering a rate I charged in 2005. So in effect no inflation for the last 13 years.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Hardly qualifies as a "fifth columnist" since he's Irish, and therefore on the "opposing side" of the argument. You were hoping we wouldn't notice that, eh? Nice try, but no cigar this time, I'm afraid.

Next!
        The traitors are the British officials who are spreading this defeatist disinformation to the enemy, you blithering idiot.

Comment

The traitors are the British officials who are spreading this defeatist disinformation to the enemy, you blithering idiot.
          That isn't inferred in the article. I did read it (waste of 5 mins, so don't bother if you haven't) and it's a little bit of "basically what he thinks" and a whole lot of sh*t stirring. Exactly what I'd expect from the other side.
          He "sees signs". He may "see leprechauns" as well, but that doesn't prove their existence. I think your problem is, you're looking so hard for a Brexit-Bad story, you are starting to find them where they don't actually exist. At least Sas is putting in some graft, and bothering to actually do some research. You're just being lazy. (A lazy Northern lass, who'd have thunk it?)
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The official, John Callinan, said on Thursday: “I see signs".

Did he read their tea leaves?

Comment

That's the spirit!

Comment

That's the spirit!
                Giving up so soon?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

An agent called me for a job in Bristol yesterday. Offering a rate I charged in 2005. So in effect no inflation for the last 13 years.
                  That's how it is. Still at least houses are cheap.
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Nice to see your skills are bang up to date then...

Comment

Working...
                    X