PDA

View Full Version : Covent Garden Restaurants

DanTheMan
17th November 2006, 13:11
Any suggestions? I would normally go with the best 'deal' from www.toptable.co.uk but there's loads to choose from. Mid-price, nothing too fancy but I need to show a client a reasonably good time.

Ta
:)

Lucifer Box
17th November 2006, 13:19
Any suggestions? I would normally go with the best 'deal' from www.toptable.co.uk but there's loads to choose from. Mid-price, nothing too fancy but I need to show a client a reasonably good time.

Ta
I quite like Livebait.

SallyAnne
17th November 2006, 13:22
I quite like Livebait.

mmm - theres a livebait in Leeds, very nice.

Lucifer Box
17th November 2006, 13:26
Alternatively, DanTheMan, you can send me £20 and I'll post you two slices of my steak, venison and mushroom pie when it's baked.

Do you like seafood, SallyAnne? I'm a sucker for it myself.

SallyAnne
17th November 2006, 13:29
Alternatively, DanTheMan, you can send me £20 and I'll post you two slices of my steak, venison and mushroom pie when it's baked.

I really do. Unfortunately my lad hates it, so I dont get to go to too many seafood restaraunt. (There were a lot of to's in that sentence!)

I always take full advantage when we're on holiday though - went to Barcelona a couple of months ago and thats pretty much all I ate! (I smelt a bit funny though) :)

DanTheMan
17th November 2006, 13:33
Hmm seafood is always potentially dodgy when you don't know the person. Might just go to 'generic oriental restaurant' and play it safe.

SallyAnne
17th November 2006, 13:34
Hmm seafood is always potentially dodgy when you don't know the person. Might just go to 'generic oriental restaurant' and play it safe.

Ooooh - are you on a first date like? :) :)

Edit: I should really read the threads more carefully - a client, I see.

Lucifer Box
17th November 2006, 13:34
I really do. Unfortunately my lad hates it, so I dont get to go to too many seafood restaraunt. (There were a lot of to's in that sentence!)

I always take full advantage when we're on holiday though - went to Barcelona a couple of months ago and thats pretty much all I ate! (I smelt a bit funny though) :)
That's a shame. Why are there so many people with peculiar fish hatreds? Perhaps it all stems back to a traumatic childhood experience with a can of KwikSave sardines in "tomato"* sauce?

Same here. Went to Lisbon a couple of months ago and had many fine feeds of sealife and assorted crustacea. Bought a turbot last weekend and made a lovely orange sauce to go with it. Sounds a bit odd but it was delightful.

* Tomato content, nil. And not much sardine either.

Lucifer Box
17th November 2006, 13:36

Mr Kongs on Lisle Street does the most excellent steamed razor clams.

SallyAnne
17th November 2006, 13:38
That's a shame. Why are there so many people with peculiar fish hatreds? Perhaps it all stems back to a traumatic childhood experience with a can of KwikSave sardines in "tomato"* sauce?

Same here. Went to Lisbon a couple of months ago and had many fine feeds of sealife and assorted crustacea. Bought a turbot last weekend and made a lovely orange sauce to go with it. Sounds a bit odd but it was delightful.

* Tomato content, nil. And not much sardine either.

You're a rare gem Lucifier.

Also - I've ben trying to shorten your name as a sign of friendship (like Xen, SAS, Flubby, Zeity, etc), and I just cant. Luc is about the best I can come up with, but thats rubbish.
Do you have any pet names you'd like to be called?

Ardesco
17th November 2006, 13:38
I find Tuna Steak most palletable, it has a startling resemblance to rare Beef!!

sasguru
17th November 2006, 13:40
I find Tuna Steak most palletable, it has a startling resemblance to rare Beef!!

Why do you try to make pallets of your tuna steaks?

Bagpuss
17th November 2006, 13:42

She on a seafood diet :rollin:

Lucifer Box
17th November 2006, 13:43

Also - I've ben trying to shorten your name as a sign of friendship (like Xen, SAS, Flubby, Zeity, etc), and I just cant. Luc is about the best I can come up with, but thats rubbish.
Thanks, SallyAnne, you're the tops (excepting Lucy, of course, who I'm most definitely not teasing).

How about LB? That seems nice and to the point.

Lucifer Box
17th November 2006, 13:44
I like tuna tartare. That is most agreeable if done well.

DanTheMan
17th November 2006, 13:44
Client, date... both could have good outcomes. I like seafood myself but never know if other people do. I suppose I could just spring for a maccy d's......

SallyAnne
17th November 2006, 13:45
She on a seafood diet :rollin:

hardy ha ha ha :)

Lockhouse
17th November 2006, 13:45
The Ivy is great. Book 10:30ish in the evening or ring up on the same day for a short notice cancellation. I've even got a table whilst walking past and popping in on the off chance. For 20:00 on a Saturday, It's still 5-6 months wait.

Alternatively Christopher's Bar and Grill do superb food. Carluccio's is a great Italian and J. Sheekey do superb seafood - much better than Livebait IMHO.

Lucifer Box
17th November 2006, 13:48
If we're talking serious seafood restaurants, I would recommend Bentley's on Swallow Street. Better than Livebait without a shadow of a doubt, but not in Covent Garden, which is what the OP wanted.

Although now it seems he wants a sweet 'n' sour pork and chicken chow mein takeaway. :p

Lockhouse
17th November 2006, 13:50
Cafe Des Amis - Right in the middle of Covent Garden. Perfect for client entertaining. Food is good and not too expensive. Plus they used to have a wine bar in the basement for drinks first (not sure if they still have).

Bagpuss
17th November 2006, 13:52
All well and good but can anyone recommend a restaurant where they don't spit in your food?

Zippy
17th November 2006, 13:53
If you want to impress there's always Roadhouse - I think they do burgers :rollin:

Seriously, I liked Navajo Joe.

DanTheMan
17th November 2006, 13:56
Haha yeah just a standard chinese take-away will do! If this was own choice then I'd go to The Guaco (sp?) Grill. Cheers for the suggestions. I suppose I could just decide after a few drinks.

DanTheMan
17th November 2006, 13:59
20% off Cafe Des Amis at the moment and its had good reviews.

Xenophon
17th November 2006, 14:08
Cafe Des Amis - Right in the middle of Covent Garden. Perfect for client entertaining. Food is good and not too expensive. Plus they used to have a wine bar in the basement for drinks first (not sure if they still have).
Not been for years, but last time I was there it was fab.

Xenophon
17th November 2006, 14:09

Cheers SA.

Xenophon
17th November 2006, 14:27
If you want to impress there's always Roadhouse - I think they do burgers :rollin:

Not been to Navajo Joe - is it any good?

Cowboy Bob
17th November 2006, 14:27
Went to Lisbon a couple of months ago and had many fine feeds of sealife and assorted crustacea.

If you're looking for the fishiest tasting fish dish in the world, don't look further than the Bouillabaisse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillabaisse) that can be purchased in Marseille. Mmmmm.....

Zippy
17th November 2006, 14:41
Not been to Navajo Joe - is it any good?

Yep. It's posh spicy bar food really but that suits me :D

PS the bar is a lot, lot better than their website.

Lockhouse
17th November 2006, 14:57
If you're looking for the fishiest tasting fish dish in the world, don't look further than the Bouillabaisse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillabaisse) that can be purchased in Marseille. Mmmmm.....

I find bouillabaisse and cassoulet have the same effect - one is enough to satisfy the craving for at least 12 months. I chased down what was apparently the best bouillabaisse in Marseille and I'm afraid to say found it all rather overrated. Fish in soup, then fish with potatoes. The roule they served with the bread was the best thing about it - but that's just my opinion and there must be something about it for it to be so popular.

EqualOpportunities
17th November 2006, 14:59

Oh the Roadhouse... What a place... The Words 'meat' and 'market' spring to mind... :spank:

Xenophon
17th November 2006, 15:04
Yep. It's posh spicy bar food really but that suits me :D

PS the bar is a lot, lot better than their website.
Mmmmm.... I'm happy with posh spicy bar food.

:yay:

Zippy
17th November 2006, 15:07
Oh the Roadhouse... What a place... The Words 'meat' and 'market' spring to mind... :spank:

Oh yes. It was a great place to go if there were a few of you due to
a) cheap cocktails
b) the aforementioned free entertainment

Desperately grim if you were on your own I should think.

DanTheMan
17th November 2006, 15:29
Des Amis is fully booked ;(

Lockhouse
17th November 2006, 15:53
Palais Du Jardin then? Service can be a bit slow but food is passable.

DanTheMan
17th November 2006, 16:08
I'm actually looking at Fuel at the moment. Purely because the client might like to have a few drinks before hand!

Lucy
17th November 2006, 16:32
All well and good but can anyone recommend a restaurant where they don't spit in your food?

I thought you just eat from a tin ?