• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

About time too!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About time too!

Give cyclists priority

Meanwhile, the Government has left the door open to introducing a “universal” rule to give way when turning in order to protect cyclists passing on the inside of vehicles from being cut off.
    About time the road haulage operators are made to invest in the technology that promotes the welfare of vulnerable road user groups.

Sensors should be installed along the nearside elevation of all long vehicles to alert the driver to the presence of an undertaking cyclist.

I'd also venture that sensors should be installed on the underside since, as the rider of a cycle with a very low riding position, I've nearly disappeared under the trailer of a juggernaut on more than one occasion.

I'm bloody furious it's taken this long and this many casualties for this issue to even get out the traps.

I'm also bloody furious that despite doing everything within my power to make myself as visible as possible including wearing a one piece yellow hi-viz outfit and flying a flag off the top of a six foot pole mounted on the rear of my bike I will still be treated as a whipping boy by other road users.

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    Give cyclists priority

About time the road haulage operators are made to invest in the technology that promotes the welfare of vulnerable road user groups.

Sensors should be installed along the nearside elevation of all long vehicles to alert the driver to the presence of an undertaking cyclist.

I'd also venture that sensors should be installed on the underside since, as the rider of a cycle with a very low riding position, I've nearly disappeared under the trailer of a juggernaut on more than one occasion.

I'm bloody furious it's taken this long and this many casualties for this issue to even get out the traps.

I'm also bloody furious that despite doing everything within my power to make myself as visible as possible including wearing a one piece yellow hi-viz outfit and flying a flag off the top of a six foot pole mounted on the rear of my bike I will still be treated as a whipping boy by other road users.
    Maybe sensors should be installed in the brains of cyclists to not try and shoot down the inside of something which weighs 100* their weight?

Comment

Telegraph plumbs new lows.

Lorry drivers already have sensors. They also detect sign posts so don't help much.

A new report by the all-party parliamentary cycling group (APPCG) found that more than 8,500 drivers have been allowed to stay behind the wheel despite having more than 12 points on their licence, potentially putting bike riders at risk.

Rubbish! It puts everyone at risk equally.

Meanwhile, the Government has left the door open to introducing a “universal” rule to give way when turning in order to protect cyclists passing on the inside of vehicles from being cut off.

So cyclists can do what they want? That will only make things worse.

At the moment, most cyclists killed are women killed by lorry drivers. Women need educating about how to cycle. You must either be very passive or very aggressive.

Articles like the one you reference only make the cyclist/driver divide bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Telegraph plumbs new lows.

Lorry drivers already have sensors. They also detect sign posts so don't help much.

A new report by the all-party parliamentary cycling group (APPCG) found that more than 8,500 drivers have been allowed to stay behind the wheel despite having more than 12 points on their licence, potentially putting bike riders at risk.

Rubbish! It puts everyone at risk equally.

So cyclists can do what they want? That will only make things worse.

At the moment, most cyclists killed are women killed by lorry drivers. Women need educating about how to cycle. You must either be very passive or very aggressive.

Articles like the one you reference only make the cyclist/driver divide bigger.

Sorry, I don't agree.

When you have people towing their children in bike trailers over busy roundabouts during rush hour it's imperative that they are given priority.

No, don't agree with that at all.

Comment

Sorry, I don't agree.

When you have people towing their children in bike trailers over busy roundabouts during rush hour it's imperative that they are given priority.

That's just nuts anyway.

Sorry the road was designed for Motor vehicles - whilst I have no problems with cyclists towing their kids you are simply taking putting their lives at risk each day - even if you assume no driver ever makes a mistake there will always be technical/mechanical issues which could cause accidents.

But then i think you are trolling so.....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            That's just nuts anyway.

Sorry the road was designed for Motor vehicles - whilst I have no problems with cyclists towing their kids you are simply taking putting their lives at risk each day - even if you assume no driver ever makes a mistake there will always be technical/mechanical issues which could cause accidents.

But then i think you are trolling so.....
            +1. Why am I arguing with a troll?

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              +1. Why am I arguing with a sockie troll?
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Sorry, I don't agree.

I quite agree. The rule applies in NL. However, as a car driver, cyclist and pedestrian I find that drivers and cyclists are oblivious to the Highway Code especially regarding pedestrians crossing the road at junctions. Moreover, cyclists seem to use their bikes as weapons against pedestrians and even using them as wedges to push in when boarding trains. In my youth, the police would stop cyclists for the slightest infringement. These days’ cyclists go through red lights, ride the wrong way down streets, ride the pavement and some don’t bother with lights.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Cyclists given priority

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    I quite agree. The rule applies in NL. However, as a car driver, cyclist and pedestrian I find that drivers and cyclists are oblivious to the Highway Code especially regarding pedestrians crossing the road at junctions. Moreover, cyclists seem to use their bikes as weapons against pedestrians and even using them as wedges to push in when boarding trains. In my youth, the police would stop cyclists for the slightest infringement. These days’ cyclists go through red lights, ride the wrong way down streets, ride the pavement and some don’t bother with lights.
                    I understand what you say.

I contend it is the very cyclists you mention who stay alive.

It is those who obey the "rules" who get run over.

Comment

Working...
                    X