For many EU citizens probably the last time they are allowed to vote in the UK

SueEllen
4th May 2017, 10:18

:violin:

OwlHoot
4th May 2017, 10:37
Anyone bothering to vote?

Nah, I don't have French citizenship. But if I did, it would be Marine le Pen all the way! :music:

BrilloPad
4th May 2017, 10:39
Nah, I don't have French citizenship. But if I did, it would be Marine le Pen all the way! :music:

She will lose. Though I said Brexit would never happen and TRump would lose.....

Big Blue Plymouth
4th May 2017, 10:41
Anyone bothering to vote?

Nope.

Bored with elections & referenda.

Maybe that's their gambit.....

BrilloPad
4th May 2017, 10:45
I am voting SNP.

xoggoth
4th May 2017, 10:49
Hmmm. Dunno. Might do. Apathy reigns.

VectraMan
4th May 2017, 10:51
I did the voting thing as I was walking past. Nobody else was there; maybe we'll be looking at a record low turnout.

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th May 2017, 12:02
Probably, but with the biggest sense of apathy I've felt in any election before.

Still haven't made my mind up whether to spoil my ballot of just vote Greens, for a laugh.

If the local Lib Dem candidate for our ward had made even something of an effort to tell us about who he is and his policies then I might have been more inclined to vote for him, even if it was just a "not Tory" vote. But instead, it seems he's more interested in simultaneously running for MP in East Ham:

Election 2017: Lib Dem candidate for East Ham Glanville Williams on ‘most important election in a generation’ - Election - Newham Recorder (http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/seasonal/election/election-2017-lib-dem-candidate-for-east-ham-glanville-williams-on-most-important-election-in-a-generation-1-4990047)

Lib Dems came second here in 2013, about 23% to the Tory party's 40%. Turnout of about 35%.

Waldorf
4th May 2017, 12:09

I don't see why EU citizens should have a vote on UK elections. Only British subjects should vote in UK elections.

I've already voted.

vetran
4th May 2017, 12:34
I don't see why EU citizens should have a vote on UK elections. Only British subjects should vote in UK elections.

I've already voted.

Because despite the denials the EU was all about political union.

VectraMan
4th May 2017, 12:35

I don't see why British subjects should have a vote in UK elections. Elections should be for the people that are affected; i.e. the people that live here permanently, regardless of what their passport says.

No taxation without representation.

BrilloPad
4th May 2017, 12:41
Because despite the denials the EU was all about political union.

The anthem would be EU, EU uber alles....

VectraMan
4th May 2017, 12:46
The anthem would be EU, EU uber alles....

It's Beethoven's 9th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiOjzA9K7uw

Lockhouse
4th May 2017, 12:50
We currently have a UKIP councillor who has actually got off his arse and made a bit of a difference to some local projects so he's getting my vote.

BrilloPad
4th May 2017, 13:00
It's Beethoven's 9th:

Its going to change: -

EU, EU über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält.
Von der Maas bis an die Merkel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt,
|: EU, EU über alles,
Über alles in der Welt! :|

d000hg
4th May 2017, 13:26
WE just moved 2 weeks ago; no idea if there are elections here and if we're eligible to vote in them as I've had nothing in the post. I imagine it's even more staunchly Labour than at MP level, an ex-colliery village.

SueEllen
4th May 2017, 14:29
WE just moved 2 weeks ago; no idea if there are elections here and if we're eligible to vote in them as I've had nothing in the post. I imagine it's even more staunchly Labour than at MP level, an ex-colliery village.

You need to sign up to make sure you can vote in the GE.

Have a look today though it could be too late.

d000hg
4th May 2017, 14:44
You need to sign up to make sure you can vote in the GE.

Have a look today though it could be too late.I had naively thought that since the council know I've moved, they'd sort this. Apparently not. We're in the same constituency so if we're too late we'll just go to our old polling station...

SueEllen
4th May 2017, 15:55
I had naively thought that since the council know I've moved, they'd sort this. Apparently not. We're in the same constituency so if we're too late we'll just go to our old polling station...

Oh dear.

It's the same myth as those who think because they are on the council tax register they are automatically on the electoral roll. Instead what happens is they are randomly cross checked with each other and credit reference files particularly where people are claiming discounts or benefits.

OwlHoot
4th May 2017, 16:00
It's Beethoven's 9th:

God I hate that tune!

But then I never liked most of Beethoven's music. With a few exceptions, such as the Moonlight Sonata, it has a relentless, neurotically obsessive quality I find rather unpleasant.

d000hg
4th May 2017, 17:18
Oh dear.

It's the same myth as those who think because they are on the council tax register they are automatically on the electoral roll. Instead what happens is they are randomly cross checked with each other and credit reference files particularly where people are claiming discounts or benefits.

I've updated my details online, apparently you have until May 22nd to register for the GE. They DO periodically send out letters asking you to confirm who lives at your address but I think we missed that for the local elections.

_V_
4th May 2017, 18:47
Yes.

What he/she/it said.

xoggoth
4th May 2017, 22:25
Went up about half hour before polling station closed. Deserted. Judging from the ticks they had on the list the numbers who had bothered looked very low. Looked about 30%, if that.

I voted for Adolph as usual.

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th May 2017, 22:53
Didn't bother in the end. I will vote tactically in the GE but there was nobody I wanted to vote for today.