• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Growing old under Generation Y

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing old under Generation Y

I was having a really inneresting discussion about this at the bar of my local hostelry on Friday night with our resident grouch who is generally quite excoriating about the Gen Y, and he seems to think that life isn't going to be much fun for us when we're all old.

Let's face it - when some of us are in our dotage the millenials & their offspring will be running the show.

What with their safe spaces and general namby-pambyness, I think it's entirely possible that they'll enact legislation to prevent anyone over a certain age from driving a car. I can also see a situation where old people will be forced out of their homes & into state approved care homes via punitive taxation or more direct methods.

The future could be rather scary for us budding crumblies.

Besides, as they all spend way too much time in cyberspace and somehow believe that science fiction is going to become reality (c/f the thread bout simulated reality, belief that immortality will be achieved within their lifetimes) maybe a type of Logan's Run world will come to pass & nobody is allowed to live past a certain age. Except, of course, the elite who can afford the elixir of immortality.

What do you think?

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    What do you think?
    I think it's made up bollox and that you peaked with your famous five style homoerotic outings in the country. But that's just my tuppence.

Comment

Oh, and the other topic of discussion (since none of you has bitten) was this; Will you be able to use a driverless car to get back home from the pub while p!ssed?

We came to the conclusion that some killjoy somewhere will decree that you need to be fully compos mentis in case you have to veride the car's driverless function for whatever reason.

Comment

Unending tedium.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I was having a really inneresting discussion about this at the bar of my local hostelry on Friday night with our resident grouch who is generally quite excoriating about the Gen Y, and he seems to think that life isn't going to be much fun for us when we're all old.

Let's face it - when some of us are in our dotage the millenials & their offspring will be running the show.

What with their safe spaces and general namby-pambyness, I think it's entirely possible that they'll enact legislation to prevent anyone over a certain age from driving a car. I can also see a situation where old people will be forced out of their homes & into state approved care homes via punitive taxation or more direct methods.

Besides, as they all spend way too much time in cyberspace and somehow believe that science fiction is going to become reality (c/f the thread bout simulated reality, belief that immortality will be achieved within their lifetimes) maybe a type of Logan's Run world will come to pass & nobody is allowed to live past a certain age. Except, of course, the elite who can afford the elixir of immortality.

What do you think?
          I largely agree with that. When I was a kid we respected our elders. It was normal for us kids to keep an eye on the elderly and shop for them etc. These days it is more common for the youngsters to show resentment to the elderly however, this seems totally opposite to young Europeans I have met.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Oh, and the other topic of discussion (since none of you has bitten) was this; Will you be able to use a driverless car to get back home from the pub while p!ssed?

We came to the conclusion that some killjoy somewhere will decree that you need to be fully compos mentis in case you have to veride the car's driverless function for whatever reason.
            What? Like this you mean?

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-car-elon-musk
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

What do you think?
              Hopefully won't affect me, I plan to be living overseas somewhere warm within 7-10 years if I can keep contracting for that long and one of the southern European countries will let me live there, if not it will have to be further afield.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                hmmm...

Well if the technology is that shaky that there's some chance I'm going to need to override its autopilot in the first instance there's not a cat in hell's chance I'll be getting in one of these contraptions anyhow.

I'd feel safer getting a lift from one of our local's regulars who gets so pissed he has to be carried out to his car in the carpark.

Disclaimer: Even though said drunken soak makes his drunken way home through the country lanes, I wish to make it clear that I totally disapprove of this behaviour.
                Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 8 May 2017, 11:46.

Comment

I was having a really inneresting discussion ...
                  I stopped reading there, because the daft way you spell "inneresting" is really antoying!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Couldn't care less. I'm generation X. I'll be in my old age on my baby boomer parents' money.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Unending tedium.
                    Tediu
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X