• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Houses near Bury and Bolton seem pretty expensive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houses near Bury and Bolton seem pretty expensive

Did a quick Zoopla search for houses near Bolton & Bury (solely out of curiousity, as I have no intention of moving "oop North"), and was amazed at how expensive they seem considering property prices in Bolton haven't risen for years.

Houses for Sale in Affetside - Buy Houses in Affetside - Zoopla

For example, the first property currently found by that search is a four bedroom Georgian house going for £1,650,000 !

I mean it looks nice, with nice views and a separate cottage; but it isn't exactly a mansion, and it doesn't come with much land AFAICS.

Anyone hazard a guess why? I assume it's because they are pretty near Manchester, and the influx of Beeboids flush with cash from selling their London pads has pushed up prices.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Affetside is very nice, rural, nice pub, Reebok family used to live around there, used to knock about with Karen Foster, Peter Fosters daughter (he owned Reebok). She very sadly died of cancer at no age...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Did a quick Zoopla search for houses near Bolton & Bury (solely out of curiousity, as I have no intention of moving "oop North"), and was amazed at how expensive they seem considering property prices in Bolton haven't risen for years.

Houses for Sale in Affetside - Buy Houses in Affetside - Zoopla

For example, the first property currently found by that search is a four bedroom Georgian house going for £1,650,000 !

I mean it looks nice, with nice views and a separate cottage; but it isn't exactly a mansion, and it doesn't come with much land AFAICS.

Anyone hazard a guess why? I assume it's because they are pretty near Manchester, and the influx of Beeboids flush with cash from selling their London pads has pushed up prices.
      In other words, your Right Move gloating session didn't work out for you?

Comment

It looks pretty immaculate but yeah a million plus seems a lot. Unless it is a very exclusive location as stek suggests.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          In other words, your Right Move gloating session didn't work out for you?
          Gloating about what? I'm happy where I am the other side of the country, and I know there are some areas slightly cheaper and others more expensive. I just had a particular reason to be interested in property prices round Affetside and its environs (family history don'cha know)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

You've got to know the area to appreciate the price variances. Affetside is a lovely rural spot right on the tops. The 'local' pub called the Wagon and Horses has had a great make over and views are spectacular up there. Quick drive in any direction will take you past some very grand bespoke houses so you are in premium position. The prices start going doing as you drift towards Bolton or Bury until you hit the outskirts and then they start costing more along the lines you were probably thinking.

I'd guess it's much the same in an rural location. They have a popular hotspot with scattered bespoke properties.

Knowing the area I'd say that's not a bad price for what you are getting, particular with the barn sounding like it's prime for re-development.

If you are looking for a modern pad you could buy my place which is on the market not so far down the same road.
            http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/det...SWZVplh42Al.97
            Last edited by northernladuk; 8 May 2017, 17:04.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Isn't the pub in Affetside called the Pack Horse? Must be 30 years since I was there mind...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Isn't the pub in Affetside called the Pack Horse? Must be 30 years since I was there mind...
                That's it! I knew it was something to do with horses. Used to be a ye olde pub at the front with a bit of a horrible bolt on for eating in the back. Done it all out and knocked in to one. Very nice it is as well.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The posh part of Bolton is called Heaton, some really dear places there, and it's not that far from the shiithole that us Bolton Town Centre....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    The posh part of Bolton is called Heaton, some really dear places there, and it's not that far from the shiithole that us Bolton Town Centre....
                    You want a bit of wet with that love?

Comment

Working...
                    X