PDA

View Full Version : Kids & Chess

MarillionFan
8th May 2017, 18:29
So my 8 year old son who seems to get bored at school/distracted and play up all the time was at home today having been excluded again.

Having completed all of his school work he was set, he was bored so the wife gave him a junior chess set with instructions on the back.

He's never played chess before, but does things like Pokemon which seems to have complex rules.

So he read the instruction manual. After 30 minutes he had the board setup, and understood how all the pieces worked. She then gave him his first game, and he beat her. His ten year old sister who does a chess club, then played him and he beat her on his second game.

I arrived home from work and he said, I've learnt chess, do you want a game? There was a perfectly set up board and he then proceeded to tell me all the rules.

So he went first, I then decided to go immediately for a quick check mate knowing he wouldn't think to block it, and he bloody did. I then attempted another 3 to 4 sneaky attempts before eventually having to resort to playing a little more tactical.

I had a second game, and at no point did he fall for any simple moves. He was completely backing pieces up & trying to pincer me.

When I beat him on the second game, he trashed the board and stormed off. :eyes (sigh)

So in total he's played for about one hour and is already better than his sister and mother. Beggars belief.

SueEllen
8th May 2017, 18:43
Your son needs to learn to be a better loser especially when he can play against that person again and beat them.

MarillionFan
8th May 2017, 18:46
Your son needs to learn to be a better loser especially when he can play against that person again and beat them.

Unfortunately that's one of his major autistic issues. He cannot deal with frustration, and being a worse loser than Ronaldo is a problem

DimPrawn
8th May 2017, 18:58
Unfortunately that's one of his major autistic issues. He cannot deal with frustration, and being a worse loser than Ronaldo is a problem

He needs to read all Assguru's posts. Then he will realise being a bitter loser isn't something to aspire to.

northernladyuk
8th May 2017, 19:02

Chesskids is a good and entirely safe - no chat - online community. Your kid may find the online environment works for him. Not many chess clubs are kid friendly any more although we are lucky to have one nearby.

northernladyuk
8th May 2017, 19:04
He needs to read all Assguru's posts. Then he will realise being a bitter loser isn't something to aspire to.

How is that Swindon divorce support group working out?

shaunbhoy
8th May 2017, 19:05
When I beat him on the second game, he trashed the board and stormed off. :eyes (sigh)

Well the apple never falls far from the tree, apparently. :wink

Mordac
8th May 2017, 19:56
So my 8 year old son who seems to get bored at school/distracted and play up all the time was at home today having been excluded again.

Having completed all of his school work he was set, he was bored so the wife gave him a junior chess set with instructions on the back.

He's never played chess before, but does things like Pokemon which seems to have complex rules.

So he read the instruction manual. After 30 minutes he had the board setup, and understood how all the pieces worked. She then gave him his first game, and he beat her. His ten year old sister who does a chess club, then played him and he beat her on his second game.

I arrived home from work and he said, I've learnt chess, do you want a game? There was a perfectly set up board and he then proceeded to tell me all the rules.

So he went first, I then decided to go immediately for a quick check mate knowing he wouldn't think to block it, and he bloody did. I then attempted another 3 to 4 sneaky attempts before eventually having to resort to playing a little more tactical.

I had a second game, and at no point did he fall for any simple moves. He was completely backing pieces up & trying to pincer me.

So in total he's played for about one hour and is already better than his sister and mother. Beggars belief.

Start teaching him Blackjack & Poker. Some of the best players are to some degree autistic, perhaps you could retire from IT and become his manager. :D

Mordy in "Rain Man" Mode.

stek
9th May 2017, 07:33
My son gets (free) Overwatch Gaming accounts (it's some current computer game), and cos he's so good at it, top 50 in World or something, he plays like mad for half a day to get the account high in the ratings, and sells them on for as much as £300.

Seems to have dried up a bit lately though, need to be proactive in picking the next popular game, and skilling up.

See he's got the ability, but not the nous to look ahead just yet. If he can master that, he'll do ok!

glebe digital
9th May 2017, 08:55
All-time fave quote:

"The slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable."
(Henry Thomas Buckle)

Most kids don't learn to win with grace -or lose with dignity- until they've taken enough beatings. I remember my lad snatched a hanging bishop once, came over all "in your face!" until I ground him to dust in the end game......stick it to the bleeders I say, that way they'll appreciate a good win when they get it.

Buy him a book of openings, or Tal's best games for inspiration.

NotAllThere
9th May 2017, 09:20
I never let my children win - they had to do it by themselves. Now they show me no mercy, which is at it should be.

vetran
9th May 2017, 09:24
I never let my children win - they had to do it by themselves. Now they show me no mercy, which is at it should be.

not bad for 3 year olds....

vetran
9th May 2017, 09:26

sounds like its a win, he was engaged & good at it, grace in losing is hard for adults.

Hope it is something he can build on.

MarillionFan
9th May 2017, 10:26

WHS

I've played Scrabble for as many years as I can remember. When I was a kid I played the adults & never won. At 10 I read the whole fricking dictionary and then started to win some games against my mum and Aunt who was a teacher. You had to practice to get better.

Now as an adult I'm so good, my aunt and mother haven't beaten me in 30 years. In your face bitches!!!

quackhandle
9th May 2017, 10:54
Get him along to a chess tournament, see how he fares against all the indian kids who thrash me (not a hard feat by any means).

I was at a rapid play tourny down the road last month and the kids are very respectful when they win against adults but against each other it's all out war, there was a few games where the arbiter was called in, accusations of cheating etc. quite funny.

My lad gets upset when losing but he's dealing with it better in recent weeks.

qh

d000hg
9th May 2017, 11:04
I'm on chess.com, IIRC you can turn chat off or you could sit in the room while he plays on an account you control.

quackhandle
9th May 2017, 11:06
I'm on chess.com, IIRC you can turn chat off or you could sit in the room while he plays on an account you control.

I can also recommend the PlayMagnus app (Magnus Carlsen, current chess no 1 and WC) you play him at set ages (I can't beat him at 10) and it is a fantastic learning tool, shows available moves for each piece, etc.

qh

quackhandle
9th May 2017, 11:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFq8rBe79L0

:eyes

qh

Uncle Albert
9th May 2017, 11:57
Get him along to a chess tournament, see how he fares against all the indian kids who thrash me (not a hard feat by any means).

I was at a rapid play tourny down the road last month and the kids are very respectful when they win against adults but against each other it's all out war, there was a few games where the arbiter was called in, accusations of cheating etc. quite funny.

My lad gets upset when losing but he's dealing with it better in recent weeks.

qh

DO NOT DO THIS

Chess tournaments are sheer hell. I've taken my kids to endless football, netball, hockey, swimming tournaments and they have all been fine. The chess ones are awful.

It takes an entire day for them to play their 6 matches (assuming they don't carry on to the finals).
99% of the other parents are ultra competetive and force their children to replay the matches with them to improve.
A match can be over in 3 minutes or in half an hour so you can't even sneak off for a pint.
You can't even watch them play.

MarillionFan
9th May 2017, 12:14
DO NOT DO THIS

Chess tournaments are sheer hell. I've taken my kids to endless football, netball, hockey, swimming tournaments and they have all been fine. The chess ones are awful.

It takes an entire day for them to play their 6 matches (assuming they don't carry on to the finals).
99% of the other parents are ultra competetive and force their children to replay the matches with them to improve.
A match can be over in 3 minutes or in half an hour so you can't even sneak off for a pint.

I used to play chess at school and was captain of the chess team in the final year. Played loads of tournaments. Agreed, wouldn't want to watch it though.

MeMeMe1966
9th May 2017, 12:14
When we learned as a kid the adults played without their queen until we beat them consistently and then went into normal mode. It makes it challenging for the adults and keeps the kids interested because they always have a really good chance of winning.

MarillionFan
9th May 2017, 12:15
When we learned as a kid the adults played without their queen until we beat them consistently and then went into normal mode. It makes it challenging for the adults and keeps the kids interested because they always have a really good chance of winning.

Good idea. I'll try that later.

quackhandle
9th May 2017, 12:26
DO NOT DO THIS

MAYBE HE CAN MAKE UP HIS OWN MIND?

:eyes

(the footy tournaments/leagues I used to coach in have been far worse than any of the chess ones I've attended.)

qh

d000hg
9th May 2017, 14:33
I played a lot of chess when I was late primary school age, so I guess 9-11. I definitely recall the all-day tournaments. They were always knock-outs and I nearly always got just on the edge of the sharp end, maybe 5 games played. There was always a little tuck shop and a lot of waiting around in-between rounds.
I've no idea how my parents put up with it in hindsight.

BigRed
9th May 2017, 15:04
Some-one I worked with took his daughter ice skating one half term because she was bored. Fast forward 2 years and he was driving her to train with her doubles partner three nights a week, 200 miles round trip and practice was after the rink closed to the public in the evening.

MyUserName
9th May 2017, 15:10
When I was a kid my father bought me a chess computer. It was awesome. I guess now you do it online? I find gameknot one of the better sites for it. A few people from this forum have popped on and we have had some games on there (tip, never play Old Greg for money at chess).

How about Go? It is easy to learn and due to the nature of the game you can easily handicap one player (by allowing the other to place more stones before the game starts). The difference is that it does not alter the game dynamic. Taking pieces off your board to give someone a chance at chess is fun but it does not teach them to play properly. Once the junior player has won 3 games you remove one of the handicap stones, if they lose 3 you add one on.

ItsYourTurn has Go as one of its games (along with Dark Chess which I love - yes I used to be top of the ladder, if you are asking).

sasguru
9th May 2017, 15:14
It's a good exercise to program a computer to play chess using minimax and alpha-beta pruning. Evaluating the static positions is quite good fun. And the sense of anticipiation when the fooking thing makes a move is something else. In practice the program I wrote (more than 30 years ago) played atrociously, but it taught me a fook load about programming.

d000hg
9th May 2017, 15:33
I loved BattleChess (was that what it was called?) where the pieces turned into monsters and slaughtered each other.

northernladyuk
9th May 2017, 16:34
I played a lot of chess when I was late primary school age, so I guess 9-11. I definitely recall the all-day tournaments. They were always knock-outs and I nearly always got just on the edge of the sharp end, maybe 5 games played. There was always a little tuck shop and a lot of waiting around in-between rounds.
I've no idea how my parents put up with it in hindsight.

I played a lot of chess in my childhood and still play a bit now. They are never knock-outs. Almost always Swiss.

quackhandle
9th May 2017, 16:39
I played a lot of chess in my childhood and still play a bit now. They are never knock-outs. Almost always Swiss.

The rapid play I did was 7 games in one day but yes, the Swiss is normally 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday (depending when/if you take a bye).

qh

northernladyuk
9th May 2017, 16:41
The rapid play I did was 7 games in one day but yes, the Swiss is normally 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday (depending when/if you take a bye).

qh

But the rapid play would typically be Swiss as well.

quackhandle
9th May 2017, 16:44
But the rapid play would typically be Swiss as well.

Probably, I was too busy concentrating on not blundering my queen against the Indian kids.

qh

northernladyuk
9th May 2017, 16:48
Probably, I was too busy concentrating on not blundering my queen against the Indian kids.

qh

Salvaged a draw against one two weeks ago. Was completely beaten but very nearly did him over in an opposite colour bishop ending.

Fronttoback
9th May 2017, 19:19
It's a good exercise to program a computer to play chess using minimax and alpha-beta pruning. Evaluating the static positions is quite good fun. And the sense of anticipiation when the fooking thing makes a move is something else. In practice the program I wrote (more than 30 years ago) played atrociously, but it taught me a fook load about programming.

Are you sure you don't mean draughts?

Writing a chess program is a non-trivial exercise.

You are saying that you completed that in your teens, before the internet?

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

SueEllen
9th May 2017, 19:25
Are you sure you don't mean draughts?

Writing a chess program is a non-trivial exercise.

You are saying that you completed that in your teens, before the internet?

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Yes - odd as it may seem people wrote games before the internet which is what got lots of boys into IT.

Oh btw have you read any chess books? They existed then and still exist now.

redgiant
9th May 2017, 19:29
A friend of mine is a grandmaster and I haven't yet mustered up the courage to challenge her to a game. Yes I don't want to get beaten by a girl :grin

Fronttoback
9th May 2017, 19:45
Yes - odd as it may seem people wrote games before the internet which is what got lots of boys into IT.

Oh btw have you read any chess books? They existed then and still exist now.

Yes I have read and studied chess theory and play on chess.com with guys in the office. I also know what is involved in writing a chess program because I have done it, and it is not something a teenage hacker could pull off. Even describing the different tactics for opening, middle and end game is a project. Draughts or tic-tac-toe, maybe.

But you are right, back in the 80s boys like us did write basic games. Space invaders, adventure games, etc. We usually typed in the code from magazine like INPUT and then hacked it around to change the game.

A chess program is a different level. No, definitely a massive stink on this one Sue.

sasguru
9th May 2017, 19:52
Yes I have read and studied chess theory and play on chess.com with guys in the office. I also know what is involved in writing a chess program because I have done it, and it is not something a teenage hacker could pull off. Even describing the different tactics for opening, middle and end game is a project. Draughts or tic-tac-toe, maybe.

But you are right, back in the 80s boys like us did write basic games. Space invaders, adventure games, etc. We usually typed in the code from magazine like INPUT and then hacked it around to change the game.

A chess program is a different level. No, definitely a massive stink on this one Sue.

Clearly I'm smarter than you. But that was obvious before. how did you write your chess program - standard minimax? It's not trivial but not particular hard either. More tedious than anything.
Recursive procedure to generate moves and hence board positions. Evaluation procedure on quiet positions or pre set level then propagate back up . Position with the highest score determines the next move. spent 6 months of intense work when I was 17. Had to repeat my A levels because of it.

Fronttoback
9th May 2017, 19:56
Clearly I'm smarter than you. But that was obvious before. how did you write your chess programme- standard minimax? It's not trivial but not particular hard either. More tedious than anything.

I can hear you frantically googling "alpha beta pruning" from my pad in the med :laugh :laugh

sasguru
9th May 2017, 20:01
I can hear you frantically googling "alpha beta pruning" from my pad in the med :laugh :laugh

You do come across as a beach bum mediocrity, maintaining other people's code rather than creating your own. Not surprised you find it difficult.

DimPrawn
9th May 2017, 20:06
Clearly I'm smarter than you. But that was obvious before. how did you write your chess program - standard minimax? It's not trivial but not particular hard either. More tedious than anything.
Recursive procedure to generate moves and hence board positions. Evaluation procedure on quiet positions or pre set level then propagate back up . Position with the highest score determines the next move. spent 6 months of intense work when I was 17. Had to repeat my A levels because of it.

Inneresting.

Considering a few years back you were saying you weren't a programmer and you didn't program.

http://www.pmslweb.com/the-blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/28-funny-bullshit-goggles.png

:rolleyes:

sasguru
9th May 2017, 20:21
Inneresting.

Considering a few years back you were saying you weren't a programmer and you didn't program.

http://www.pmslweb.com/the-blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/28-funny-bulltulip-goggles.png

Yes I managed a team of programmers and analysts for a while :rolleyes: Because of course we do the same thing througout our lives. In a forum of cretins you're special.

northernladyuk
9th May 2017, 20:27
Inneresting.

http://www.pmslweb.com/the-blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/28-funny-bulltulip-goggles.png

All done in excel.

Fronttoback
10th May 2017, 09:23

6 months?! I'm talking to Hawko on the desk, he did it in 3 weeks for a university assignment in 1989. I took 4 weeks in about 1992, I reckon.

We are interested in how you handle caching positions back in the day when RAM was scarce and processors slower- or did you have access to a super computer when you were 17? Without a position cache your search would take too long. It would be taking hours to make moves. Unless you were selecting legal moves at random without factoring in any position evaluation!

This is getting more smelly by the minute. :winker:

d000hg
10th May 2017, 12:16

What's Swiss? It's entirely possible I've mis-remembered as I was very young but I definitely remember each tournament ended with me getting knocked out. Maybe winners played winners and losers losers until the final rounds?

MarillionFan
10th May 2017, 12:43
What's Swiss? It's entirely possible I've mis-remembered as I was very young but I definitely remember each tournament ended with me getting knocked out. Maybe winners played winners and losers losers until the final rounds?

Wow. Even at chess club people wanted to knock you out. :fight:

You must really make an impression.

d000hg
10th May 2017, 12:45
Chess is a cold-blooded battle of the mind.

northernladyuk
10th May 2017, 12:54
. Maybe winners played winners and losers losers until the final rounds?

More or less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

BrilloPad
10th May 2017, 12:57
Had to repeat my A levels because of it.

I found that hard to believe.

You got beyond O levels?

You only sort of A levels you would get is with NLyUK...

sasguru
10th May 2017, 13:43
6 months?! I'm talking to Hawko on the desk, he did it in 3 weeks for a university assignment in 1989. I took 4 weeks in about 1992, I reckon.

We are interested in how you handle caching positions back in the day when RAM was scarce and processors slower- or did you have access to a super computer when you were 17? Without a position cache your search would take too long. It would be taking hours to make moves. Unless you were selecting legal moves at random without factoring in any position evaluation!

This is getting more smelly by the minute. :winker:

Caching? Too sophisticated. Can't remember exactly, but I probably limited the search depth to something small maybe 3 before doing the evaluation and propagating it up. Like I said it was far from giving you a good game.
Don't know what your problem is, you seem to be exhibiting some deep insecurity.
And who's Hawko? Is he the one who taught you "Hello World" the other day?

You wrote a chess program in 4 weeks? This is getting more smelly by the minute. :winker:
Well I guess losers gonna be losers. :winker: And in your case the BS is strong.

northernladyuk
10th May 2017, 13:48
Caching? Too sophisticated. Can't remember exactly, but I probably limited the search depth to something small maybe 3 before doing the evaluation and propagating it up. Like I said it was far from giving you a good game.
Don't know what your problem is, you seem to be exhibiting some deep insecurity.

You wrote a chess program in 4 weeks? This is getting more smelly by the minute. :winker:
Well I guess losers gonna be losers. :winker: And in your case the BS is strong.

Another one from the aussielong pole-choker stable, I reckon.

sasguru
10th May 2017, 13:51
Another one from the aussielong pole-choker stable, I reckon.

Yup. He's a genius at writing chess programs, but limited to doing maintenance. Go figure.

Fronttoback
10th May 2017, 13:59

You spent 6 months of your peak youth and wrote off your A-levels to produce something so basic - that it could be done in two weeks? :eek

I bet it's still chugging away on a VIC-20 somewhere... It will make the opening move soon sas!! What a clown :laugh

sasguru
10th May 2017, 14:01
You spent 6 months of your peak youth and wrote off your A-levels to produce something so basic - that it could be done in two weeks? :eek

I bet it's still chugging away on a VIC-20 somewhere... It will make the opening move soon sas!! What a clown :laugh

It's called having a passion for something.
If you had that you'd have a more interesting life than being a middle-aged code maintenance operative without a penny to your name.
You really smell of loser.
:laugh:laugh:laugh

Fronttoback
10th May 2017, 14:07
It's called having a passion for something.
If you had that you'd have a more interesting life than being a middle-aged code maintenance operative without a penny to your name.
You really smell of loser.
:laugh:laugh:laugh

You have just blown your cover as a teenage geek failure. And now you're a statistician with a hobby as a keyboard warrior! I bet you were fighting off the chicks at uni. :laugh

I'll leave you alone now sas because I have mans work to do. What a clown!!.. excellent. :laugh:laugh

sasguru
10th May 2017, 14:12
I'll leave you alone now sas because I have mans work to do.

:laugh:laugh
Yes we know all about your pole-choking. Enjoy.

Fronttoback
10th May 2017, 16:39
Yes we know all about your pole-choking. Enjoy.

Re-read the thread. I've owned you again! I thought you were cool. But it transpires that you're just a failed techie. But now I understand why you insist you are non-techie yet like to get stuck into techies. You have penis envy!

6 months!! 6 months he was at it! I'm having a deep belly laugh here. I bet you were telling all your pals you were working on a rival to "Deep Blue". Oh, please stop. My sides are splitting. What a clown!!! :laugh:laugh

DimPrawn
10th May 2017, 17:18

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Z3lGiUmnLrc/UsYWfgEei-I/AAAAAAAABEs/xfvIraouRWc/s1600/2013+-+computer+chess.jpg

Still waiting he is....:laugh

glebe digital
10th May 2017, 19:25
For you Fronttoback

http://68.media.tumblr.com/2c4b4fb9fb5afdc77fcfa61769050403/tumblr_nqi73h6Zjk1swhf5so1_500.jpg

glebe digital
10th May 2017, 19:28
Chess and Death
Chess and Death (http://achtung-patzer.tumblr.com/post/95187598394/chess-and-death)

sasguru
10th May 2017, 19:29
Re-read the thread. I've owned you again! I thought you were cool. But it transpires that you're just a failed techie. But now I understand why you insist you are non-techie yet like to get stuck into techies. You have penis envy!

6 months!! 6 months he was at it! I'm having a deep belly laugh here. I bet you were telling all your pals you were working on a rival to "Deep Blue". Oh, please stop. My sides are splitting. What a clown!!! :laugh:laugh

You're laughing at my teenage self? I do too sometimes.
You reveal with all your posts what a congenital loser you are.
But then having to choke pole because you have no resources would do that to a man :laugh

Fronttoback
10th May 2017, 19:43

You're laughing at my teenage self? I do too sometimes.
You reveal with all your posts what a congenital loser you are.
But then having to choke pole because you have no resources would do that to a man :laugh

But now I see where your bitterness comes from- you failed at the start and never really recovered. You tried to do the clever stuff and fell flat on your face. And you keep making the same mistake again and again -even today!

Why don't you accept your limitations and keep quiet when the men are talking about you, instead of letting your ego get the better of you and coming back for another failed bite. Take it like the bedwetter you were and always will be, when in the company of leaders of men.

6 months!!! 6 months he was at it :laugh:laugh:laugh

northernladyuk
10th May 2017, 19:53
But now I see where your bitterness comes from- you failed at the start and never really recovered. You tried to do the clever stuff and fell flat on your face. And you keep making the same mistake again and again -even today!

Why don't you accept your limitations and keep quiet when the men are talking about you, instead of letting your ego get the better of you and coming back for another failed bite. Take it like the bedwetter you were and always will be, when in the company of leaders of men.

I am starting to warm to you.

DimPrawn
10th May 2017, 19:54
I am starting to warm to you.

The last person you said that to needed gender reassignment surgery.

northernladyuk
10th May 2017, 19:57
The last person you said that to needed gender reassignment surgery.

Didn't need it.

Bee
10th May 2017, 20:03

What a hell... What!!!!!!!

sasguru
10th May 2017, 20:25

And yet I'm the millionaire and you're the beach bum :happy
That's what's really eating you, no?

DimPrawn
10th May 2017, 20:32

Are you including the £999,000 that your wife earned in that?

sasguru
10th May 2017, 20:40
Are you including the £999,000 that your wife earned in that?

Yes, the other million is mine.

DimPrawn
10th May 2017, 20:44
Yes, the other million is mine.

Those 100% mortgages are great aren't they?

Fronttoback
10th May 2017, 20:47

Yeah, because you're the only contractor on here with cash. Anyway, I wish you all the best sas. Only looking for a bit of banter- and you've been good value. I feel a bit sorry for you now. Good Night God Bless. Don't forget to check your chess program "deep poo" before bed, it might have finally made a move(ment). :throw:

sasguru
10th May 2017, 21:18
:throw:

So much anger. Did you just ponder your future as a middle-aged code maintenance operative?
You're obviously burning up inside.
Relax. Retrain. Get a skill more suitable for your mature years, not one that Prakash from Pune will soon take off you.
I wish you all the best. :happy

sasguru
10th May 2017, 21:20
Those 100% mortgages are great aren't they?

Dunno, never had one. In fact haven't had a mortgage for years.
Is that what you've got?