• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terrible tragedy at theme park

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible tragedy at theme park

Girl, 11, dies after falling into the water on Splash Canyon rapid river ride while on a school trip at Drayton Manor theme park

Drayton Manor theme park accident leaves girl dead | Daily Mail Online

When I first saw it I wondered why the child wasn't at school. Then I read it was a school trip. It's SAT week!

How the fook is a school trip to a theme park during a school day OK, but it's a fine if you take your kids out and did the same?!?!?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Girl, 11, dies after falling into the water on Splash Canyon rapid river ride while on a school trip at Drayton Manor theme park

Drayton Manor theme park accident leaves girl dead | Daily Mail Online

When I first saw it I wondered why the child wasn't at school. Then I read it was a school trip. It's SAT week!

How the fook is a school trip to a theme park during a school day OK, but it's a fine if you take your kids out and did the same?!?!?
    They do it as a reward for achieving good attendance n stuff

What a shame for all involved

Comment

I often wonder about the attendance figures. On the one hand they say keep kids off for at least 3 days if they have been physically sick and might be infectious, then they send a letter saying your kids attendance hasn't met the required levels for the term My son was rushed to hospital with pneumonia one Sunday and off school for 3 days. At the end of the term we had a letter saying that they understood that there may have been special circumstances but we were below the expected attendance and could we try harder.

Every time I ask my kids what they have done at school they seem to have just wasted part of the day, for example, they often have a play afternoon because the attendance targets have been met. I can't take them out of school to go to a theme park with the family but it's fine for the school to do it. They seem to support things like Young Voices which are just a rip off and an irrelevance to me. It's all about groups taking money out of the system instead of letting parents do it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
        I often wonder about the attendance figures. On the one hand they say keep kids off for at least 3 days if they have been physically sick and might be infectious, then they send a letter saying your kids attendance hasn't met the required levels for the term My son was rushed to hospital with pneumonia one Sunday and off school for 3 days. At the end of the term we had a letter saying that they understood that there may have been special circumstances but we were below the expected attendance and could we try harder.

Every time I ask my kids what they have done at school they seem to have just wasted part of the day, for example, they often have a play afternoon because the attendance targets have been met. I can't take them out of school to go to a theme park with the family but it's fine for the school to do it. They seem to support things like Young Voices which are just a rip off and an irrelevance to me. It's all about groups taking money out of the system instead of letting parents do it themselves.
        Our baby has a pretty serious heart condition, so naturally we're now on a couple of Facebook support groups. It's pretty pathetic how schools are with people - I see some very big and angry arguments in my future.

Comment

Every time I ask my kids what they have done at school they seem to have just wasted part of the day, for example, they often have a play afternoon because the attendance targets have been met.
          This is excellent training for the world of work.

Comment

... I can't take them out of school to go to a theme park with the family but it's fine for the school to do it. ...
            I'm sure that if a trip to a theme park trip was arranged for the day that the school was going to take them, they'd have no problem with that.

Ah well - at least it gives the opportunity of the experience of a theme park to kids whose parents couldn't otherwise afford it. But hopefully not a bad experience as in this case. Poor kids.

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Our baby has a pretty serious heart condition, so naturally we're now on a couple of Facebook support groups. It's pretty pathetic how schools are with people - I see some very big and angry arguments in my future.
            Focus on what you want for the child and how you can achieve it working with/through the system. A "stick it to the man" attitude makes people feel big and tough, but rarely results in positive outcomes. People who run into trouble are often simply bad at communication and unskilled at persuasion. People who raise what seem to be horrendous cases on FB groups may well be spinning what actually happened, and when all the facts are known, it can turn out the school was not entirely to blame.

Sorry to here about your sprog.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Ah well - at least it gives the opportunity of the experience of a theme park to kids whose parents couldn't otherwise afford it. But hopefully not a bad experience as in this case. Poor kids.
              I thought that the Parents still have to pay for it?
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                I thought that the Parents still have to pay for it?
                Of course they do, so Tiny Tim still ain't going.

Take your kids skiing in term time, it's absent without leave and a fine. If the school does it, it's £1500 and you pay for the teachers to go instead of you. That's ok then.

Comment

Yeh last two weeks of term kids do basically nothing and watch DVDs. It amazes me then how the schools moan and say that every day off makes a difference.

Our son was off for a few weeks with a serious illness but school made zero attempt to help him catch up. He was watching DVDs at the end of term too.

To be honest, we're off on holidays for two weeks at last week of aug holidays so he'll have a week off. In wales, no fines yet but it'd still be worth paying...
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Yeh last two weeks of term kids do basically nothing and watch DVDs. It amazes me then how the schools moan and say that every day off makes a difference.

Our son was off for a few weeks with a serious illness but school made zero attempt to help him catch up. He was watching DVDs at the end of term too.

To be honest, we're off on holidays for two weeks at last week of aug holidays so he'll have a week off. In wales, no fines yet but it'd still be worth paying...
                    But in Wales it doesn't matter what the schools teach them. You'll still land up on the dole queue with everyone else in Wales. Teach them to drive so they can get to England.

Comment

Working...
                    X