• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Expats in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Expats in Europe

I recall long time ago many here had properties in France, I think a few actually had their families living in France while they go contracting wherever required. Am sure some of you may have properties in Spain and the like... I expect the ones who were there for a while can get an EU passport.. what about the ones who just owned a holiday property?

What is the view with regards the Brexit now?? I have planned to move to Europe someday permanently, am contracting in Europe now, but would like to move permanently not for work, just to live there. I know its a bad time now with guarantee of UK expats rights living in Europe.. anyone have any thought on moving at this bad time??

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    anyone have any thought on moving at this time??
    Yes, don't delay and leave ASAP

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
      I recall long time ago many here had properties in France, I think a few actually had their families living in France while they go contracting wherever required. Am sure some of you may have properties in Spain and the like... I expect the ones who were there for a while can get an EU passport.. what about the ones who just owned a holiday property?

What is the view with regards the Brexit now?? I have planned to move to Europe someday permanently, am contracting in Europe now, but would like to move permanently not for work, just to live there. I know its a bad time now with guarantee of UK expats rights living in Europe.. anyone have any thought on moving at this bad time??
      On the legalities, a period of residency (not property ownership) is required to qualify for citizenship. Some countries (like Spain) do not recognise dual citizenship, but I don't know whether in practice they have a way of enforcing the repudiation of British citizenship.

Do you happen to have an Irish grandparent? Irish citizenship through birth or descent

Comment

My Dad and Step-Mother have lived in France for 3 years now. I'm sure they're not at any risk, but no doubt will have to jump through some red tape that never existed before, especially when it comes to healthcare and pensions. Well done kippers!

The problem is getting permission to stay indefinitely in one country doesn't necessarily give you permission to go roaming around the EU like it would have. Also even if you have several years of living in one country that may be wiped out if you leave and register anywhere else, for a short term contract for example.

So really you need to pick the country you want to live in, move there ASAP and never leave. And if A50 is held up as the cut off date for people getting a permanent right to stay, it may already be too late.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          On the legalities, a period of residency (not property ownership) is required to qualify for citizenship. Some countries (like Spain) do not recognise dual citizenship, but I don't know whether in practice they have a way of enforcing the repudiation of British citizenship.

Do you happen to have an Irish grandparent? Irish citizenship through birth or descent
          Yes you can repudiate your British citizenship. I checked
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            My Dad and Step-Mother have lived in France for 3 years now. I'm sure they're not at any risk, but no doubt will have to jump through some red tape that never existed before, especially when it comes to healthcare and pensions. Well done kippers!

The problem is getting permission to stay indefinitely in one country doesn't necessarily give you permission to go roaming around the EU like it would have. Also even if you have several years of living in one country that may be wiped out if you leave and register anywhere else, for a short term contract for example.

So really you need to pick the country you want to live in, move there ASAP and never leave. And if A50 is held up as the cut off date for people getting a permanent right to stay, it may already be too late.
            Once you have acquired citizenship, you are fine.

Comment

You can't expect to leave the Golf Club, taking your club tie with you, and not leave some money behind the bar to pay for the bunch of skint chaps you have been buying beers for the last 7 decades while they moan about you, to go home to your ex wife and sleep in the same bed.

I think I explained that so Bremoaners could understand it.

HTH
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Ironic.
                UK is sending people out from the UK after a request for British citizenship.

Comment

Make yourself valuable to your chosen country of residence. It is almost certain now Wrexit will shaft you. Here in Germany, apart from my language and engineering status, being able to demonstrate income in old age is important. At which point I just show them my UK BTL portfolio and we all

Got my integration exam coming up soon - habe ich ganz angst!
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Once you have acquired citizenship, you are fine.
                    Yes but that's 8 years, or at least it is in Germany. I think after 5 you get a EC permanent residence permit that allows you to move elsewhere in the EU (except Denmark, Ireland and that formerly great island that nobody talks about anymore), but you can get the right to stay in Germany permanently after a couple of years.

And citizenship is a big step. I can't imagine my Dad wanting to become a French citizen unless it's his only option.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X