• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zopa ISA (finally)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zopa ISA (finally)

Zopa receives full FCA authorisation

I've been quite pleased with my small investment in Zopa (3% in 6 months to date) so this seems good news.

The less risky options are only targeting 3-4% annually but it seems to me the higher risk one is actually still quite low risk? i.e. they factor in defaults to their projected returns. So far I have missed payments of 21p!

To me it seems a good balance between getting f-all on a cash ISA, and the much higher risks of a stocks & shares ISA. Especially as BTL is getting the tax squeeze.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Brilliant.

It was only a few weeks ago I rang them up again to check where it was

I've now got 80k in Zopa getting 4.5%, plus a 0.5% bonus for being an early investor.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Give me that £80k, I'll give you £100k next week.

Send to this address: D9QwbX9wky9XFp7Nz4ECV6fbvnRd8W2tzN
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Most of our cash ISAs have been moved into S&S as interest rates collapsed, if they allow transferring of existing ISAs that would be extremely handy.
        That said with the ever increasing ISA allowance, and two people's to use up, taking money out of a small cash ISA to put in something like this probably won't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Most of our cash ISAs have been moved into S&S as interest rates collapsed, if they allow transferring of existing ISAs that would be extremely handy.
          That said with the ever increasing ISA allowance, and two people's to use up, taking money out of a small cash ISA to put in something like this probably won't be an issue.
          When I spoke to them they said that they would be taking transfers.

If you have existing loans, those cannot be transferred into ISAs, you'd have to sell them and then move your yearly limit over.

Would be interesting to see how they will split it though. Normally deposits are split 100 times, so when I put 20k in once I landed up lending people £200 each which is not what I wanted to do.

Comment

Transferring existing loans was probably impossible, though I don't know the mechanics. It was one of the reasons I put in a paltry £2k last autumn - to get a feel for the platform at a level I could afford to lose, in advance of hoping to utilise their ISA once it became available.

Splitting the money is their main way to minimise risk... what would you want to do differently and why? My main issue with their system is the 3 products cover a huge number of options. I'd rather like to be able to fine-tune this.

Comment

They do split your money when you put it in. But they split your deposit in 1/100 of what you put in.

So if you put in £2000, then 100 people get £20 which is a small amount.

When I put it in £20000, then 100 people got £200 each. I'd rather it was 1000 people with £20 each just to spread the risk.

Anyway, the trick is, is to deposit in small chunks 1/2 k at a time

Comment

Oh I hadn't twigged that detail, I thought they sliced it the same regardless. Good to know.

I also think their default account for new deposits implementation is incredibly clunky. Why can't I deposit then allocate, or have a different BACS reference for each account?

Comment

4.5%?
                  meanwhile bond market is making 7%
                  Capital Group Global High Income Opps (Class Z) Income Fund Price & Information
                  Last edited by diseasex; 11 May 2017, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                    Historically 7% you mean? I bought some kind of bond with a guaranteed 4% return in my S&S ISA. S&S tend to do best but only on average. You might find the time you need the case, there ain't any. 3-4% at very low risk seems quite attractive to me - with some more risky investment topping it up once you have a buffer at that level.

Comment

Working...
                    X