• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella company questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just canvassing opinions on umbrella solutions -- Orange Genie or Parasol IT are two that seem most likely, but neither have responded to my enquiries - not very encouraging!

Mainly I want to here opinions from people who have used the services, but I also have a couple of other questions:

1. is it just for contracts that fail IR35?

2. Prosperity4 mentioned an allowance of £21 per day allowed if day exceeds 10 hours including travel.
    £5 if over 5 hours. Is this correct?

3. Are there any hidden elements like termination fees?

4. Are all contractors on their books covered by indemnity/liability insurance?

Are there any other questions I should ask.

I use Contractor Umbrella and they have never given me any problems. It doesn't just have to be for IR35 failures.
    I would worry about any company who told me the Inland Revenue were going to give me money just to go to work - which of us doesn't work 10 hours a day - sounds like complete crap to me.

Rest of it depends on the company themselves - happy hunting

Comment

Don't use Prosperity 4.

Comment

Brolly

I've used Parasol for the last two or so years now and they have been good.

Comment

Re: Brolly

so srbenson what have you decided to do

Comment

Well, Prosperity4 charge 6%; ParasolT didn't respond to my enquiries, so I think it'll be Orange Genie, who did repond promptly and ask my questions, and cap costs at 2.5% of 40/hour..

I'm not interested in the foreign currency loophole approach, seems too risky

PS Most of them use the same expenses calculations -- if you're more than 5.1 miles from work and the day is more than 10.5 hrs including travel. Seems valid.

Comment

srbenson

Why have you decided to use an umbrella company as opposed to the limited company/accountancy route?

Comment

I've had one for several years, lots of pain, compounded by G**nt -- just closing it, revealing more f**kups. And the contract fails IR35 AFAICT (first one for me in quite some time).

Comment

What’s that you say? Your limited company was fecked up by Giant?

As a (former) fellow sufferer you have my sympathies, but it doesn’t have to be like that. There are good accountants around.

Comment

Fair enough - I know how frustrating a bad Accountant can be and the one you mention seems to figure high on the expensive and useless scale, according to others on this forum.

I have been in a similar situation to you albeit with a different accountant but it's amazing what difference a change to an immeasurably better and cheaper Accountant can make. I currently spend less than 15 mins a month on my accounts and have no causes for concern.

Limited Company/Accountant is still the best way to go, even if you are caught by IR35 - check out some previous threads on this subject.

As regards IR35 - Is your Agency/Contractor contract IR35 friendly with a substitution clause, mention of a project, etc?

Talk to my Accountant

Comment

Working...
                    X