• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dyson spheres

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyson spheres

Did anyone see last nights Horizon, about looking for life on other planets and the great silence.

I'm all for interesting scientific programs, but everytime I watch Horizon now I'm left as if I've watched something so dumbed down even the kids would say it was rubbish.

So the basis of looking for advanced civilizations across the universe is to assume that they must have created Dyson Spheres to capture their suns energy and that you can look for that drifting in front of a star.

Load of bollocks. If another advanced civilization existed, I'm fairly certain they'd start by working out free energy.

Next NLYUK will be telling us about the power of interstellar blow jobs and her hubby asking 'Did you ask Darth Vader.

Load of tosh.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Dyson spheres?

BBC are so dumbed down they are taking back handers from a man making overpriced hoovers.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

A Dyson sphere is a hypothetical megastructure that completely encompasses a star and captures most or all of its power output. The concept was first described by Olaf Stapledon in his science fiction novel Star Maker (1937), and later popularized by Freeman Dyson in his 1960 paper "Search for Artificial Stellar Sources of Infrared Radiation".[1] Dyson speculated that such structures would be the logical consequence of the escalating energy needs of a technological civilization and would be a necessity for its long-term survival. He proposed that searching for such structures could lead to the detection of advanced, intelligent extraterrestrial life. Different types of Dyson spheres and their energy-harvesting ability would correspond to levels of technological advancement on the Kardashev scale.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Dyson spheres?

Presumably a necessary precursor will be the existence of metrosexual alien beings?

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          Dyson spheres?

Presumably a necessary precursor will be the existence of metrosexual alien beings?

The stars are the aliens* and the black holes are aliens so dense they suck the life out of everything else.

*They communicate along dark matter highways that appear as a universe wide web. ET phoning home wasn't really using dial-up.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Those Dyson spheres sound like enormous conservatories and must be bleeding hot inside. I expect all the energy they capture must be used up in air conditioning.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

There is nothing else out there.

A friend who did a degree in genetics says half the class were religious by the end. Life is very hard to create.

I expect it was only the extreme conditions of the big bang that caused life in the first place.

We are getting a lot of threads from MF recently asking a lot of philosophical questions. Is everything okay?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                .. I expect all the energy they capture must be used up in air conditioning.
                Nah, they don't need air conditioning. They just leave their fridge doors open.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  and the black holes are aliens so dense they suck the life out of everything else.

Bit like my ex-wife

Brillopad.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

At first I thought what has be invented now that will cost far far too much?

He's pro Brexit you know?

qh stirring runs away from thread
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X