• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone ever...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone ever...

Does anyone ever drive along a 2 lane dual carriageway in lane 1 behind someone else, then wait for someone who insists on driving only in the overtaking lane to approach, then overtake the car in front to get in the way of the overtaking lane hogger. Then pull into lane 1 and put your foot to the floor causing the overtaking lane hogger to pull in or look like an idiot?

No - me neither...

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Does anyone ever drive along a 2 lane dual carriageway in lane 1 behind someone else, then wait for someone who insists on driving only in the overtaking lane to approach, then overtake the car in front to get in the way of the overtaking lane hogger. Then pull into lane 1 and put your foot to the floor causing the overtaking lane hogger to pull in or look like an idiot?

No - me neither...
    Were they driving a white Mercedes AMG?
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

No. It's being stuck behind them when I'm in lane 2 that drives me nuts

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        No. It's being stuck behind them when I'm in lane 2 that drives me nuts
        JUst undertake. Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          overtaking lane hogger.
          I don't know who said the outside lane was the 'overtaking lane' - was that you?

I drive in the rightmost lane most of the time, unless someone is approaching whereupon I move into the overtaking lane ie the one you move into to let people overtake you. In your case that would be the inside lane.

When you say 'hogging' I assume you mean not moving out when someone approaches. Unless... unless you mean staying in a lane which is causing nobody any trouble at all except that I - totally unaffected - don't agree with your lane selection.

The logic of staying in the right-most lane available is it leaves space for people on the inner lanes to overtake without triggering a cascade in following vehicles.

I've never seen people react in the way you describe. Well one potential exception: they seemed to be more concerned in Benelux where on multi-lane motorways they spend all their time darting back into the inside lane like rabbits staying near the burrow.

Anyway, the interesting thing is you show a predisposition to rule-obeying and you should choose contracts where free thinking is discouraged. Are you i) German, ii) religious or iii) a jihadist?

Too be honest, if the road is relatively clear, I do tend to move into the inside lane because I know there are people like you who get upset by this kind of thing and if it's all the same then live-and-let-live.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
            I don't know who said the outside lane was the 'overtaking lane' - was that you?

I drive in the rightmost lane most of the time, unless someone is approaching whereupon I move into the overtaking lane ie the one you move into to let people overtake you. In your case that would be the inside lane.

When you say 'hogging' I assume you mean not moving out when someone approaches. Unless... unless you mean staying in a lane which is causing nobody any trouble at all except that I - totally unaffected - don't agree with your lane selection.

The logic of staying in the right-most lane available is it leaves space for people on the inner lanes to overtake without triggering a cascade in following vehicles.

I've never seen people react in the way you describe. Well one potential exception: they seemed to be more concerned in Benelux where on multi-lane motorways they spend all their time darting back into the inside lane like rabbits staying near the burrow.

Anyway, the interesting thing is you show a predisposition to rule-obeying and you should choose contracts where free thinking is discouraged. Are you i) German, ii) religious or iii) a jihadist?

Too be honest, if the road is relatively clear, I do tend to move into the inside lane because I know there are people like you who get upset by this kind of thing and if it's all the same then live-and-let-live.
            You have a predisposition to annoying people. Are you I) sasguru ii) sasguru iii) sasguru.

Then you are breaking the law. You will be upsetting people like "Big Blue Plymouth". The only reason we have to keep building wider roads is because morons like you don't pull in.

Personally I would have you all crucified at the side of the road as a warning to others.....

Comment

I drive in the rightmost lane most of the time, unless someone is approaching whereupon I move into the overtaking lane ie the one you move into to let people overtake you. In your case that would be the inside lane. ...
              Word of warning. It's a Bad Idea to spend long in the outside (rightmost) lane late at night on quiet dual carriageways, because you could encounter some idiot driving down it in the opposite direction!

What occasionally happens is that a drunk or confused driver wanting to turn right onto the dual carriageway from a side road forgets that they have to cross the gap in the middle, or turn left and head up to the next roundabout and back round, but instead just turns onto the outside lane of the carriageway on their side!

It may not happen often, but if it does then you and the other idiot both doing 70 MPH have a closing speed of 140 MPH. So you have little time to react, and practically none if you're on a bend or there is a vehicle to your left, and obviously a head on at that speed is not survivable.

This isn't such a risk during the day, or if the road is busy. But late at night, when visibility is poorer and there is hardly any traffic about, it is more likely (although thankfully not very likely).
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                It may not happen often, but if it does then you and the other idiot both doing 70 MPH have a closing speed of 140 MPH. So you have little time to react
                Especially if you are drunk.

Comment

Who taught you to drive? I'm serious about this because in the UK you are taught to stay in the left most lane unless over taking.

It even states it in the Highway code

Rule 160
                  Once moving you should

keep to the left, unless road signs or markings indicate otherwise. The exceptions are when you want to overtake, turn right or pass parked vehicles or pedestrians in the road
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X