PDA

View Full Version : EU court ensure 32 vetoes on Brexit trade deal

sasguru
17th May 2017, 14:46
Have we done this one yet? :D

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/eu-court-says-singapore-trade-deal-needs-national-080154056--finance.html

"Nicole Kar, head of international trade at law firm Linklaters, described the ECJ case as the most significant on EU trade policy for 20 years and said it would have "huge ramifications" for a future UK-EU deal.

Britain, she said, would need to decide if it wanted a more modest agreement likely to be backed or the most comprehensive deal possible that risked falling hostage to member states."

BlasterBates
17th May 2017, 14:56
Looks like a "quagmire" in the making.

Basically the EU is simplifying everything to only aiming for an exit deal i.e. the "bar bill" and the fate of EU/UK nationals; the trade deal negotiations will begin after the UK has left the EU and it is a "third country" :D

It looks like the UK will be offered a unilaterally dictated transition arrangement designed to protect the EU's interests.

Certainly getting interesting.

:D

AtW
17th May 2017, 15:06
It looks like the UK will be offered a unilaterally dictated transition arrangement designed to protect the EU's interests.

Erm, and whose interests should EU be protecting - own members or third country? All entirely predictable, that's why May went for election to get extra 2 years in power.

OwlHoot
17th May 2017, 15:33
Have we done this one yet?

2017-05-17 European judges clear path for a speedy post-Brexit trade deal by giving EU leaders the power to pass a free trade agreement by majority vote (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4513080/European-judges-clear-path-speedy-post-Brexit-deal.html)

The European Court of Justice said Brussels can ratify complex trade deals

It was feared Brexit talks could be stalled by various national parliaments

The ECJ said unanimity is only required in two fairly niche trade deal areas

BlasterBates
17th May 2017, 16:18
Angela Merkel in the German parliament has just stated that if there is no "Freedom of Movement" Britain will pay a price.

Lets face it FOM will be part of the deal, even if watered down a bit.

:laugh

darmstadt
17th May 2017, 16:40
Have we done this one yet? :D

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/eu-court-says-singapore-trade-deal-needs-national-080154056--finance.html

"Nicole Kar, head of international trade at law firm Linklaters, described the ECJ case as the most significant on EU trade policy for 20 years and said it would have "huge ramifications" for a future UK-EU deal.

Britain, she said, would need to decide if it wanted a more modest agreement likely to be backed or the most comprehensive deal possible that risked falling hostage to member states."

Have we done this one yet?

2017-05-17 European judges clear path for a speedy post-Brexit trade deal by giving EU leaders the power to pass a free trade agreement by majority vote (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4513080/European-judges-clear-path-speedy-post-Brexit-deal.html)

Er, I think so

AtW
17th May 2017, 17:05
Angela Merkel in the German parliament has just stated that if there is no "Freedom of Movement" Britain will pay a price.
Lets face it FOM will be part of the deal, even if watered down a bit.

Nope, it won't be - May put everything at stake on anti-immigration stance, she will just blame EU for "punishing UK", that's all - big painful spending cuts are yet to kick in.

OwlHoot
17th May 2017, 17:24
Er, I think so

No, I don't think so.

sas's post that started this thread, and the article he cited, was obviously intended to imply that EU countries' votes had to be unanimous, no doubt hoping to convince and thus worry casual readers this was such a stringent condition it would be impossible to meet.

But, as the article I cited made clear, in fact nearly all the relevant decisions will require only majority voting.

shaunbhoy
17th May 2017, 17:46
as the article I cited made clear, in fact nearly all the relevant decisions will require only majority voting.

Careful OH, you will have them rocking backwards and forwards in their safe spaces if you keep presenting facts to them.

SueEllen
17th May 2017, 20:52
Nope, it won't be - May put everything at stake on anti-immigration stance, she will just blame EU for "punishing UK", that's all - big painful spending cuts are yet to kick in.

It will be freedom of movement under another name.

May has been reading Thatcher biographies.

darmstadt
18th May 2017, 06:43
No, I don't think so.

sas's post that started this thread, and the article he cited, was obviously intended to imply that EU countries' votes had to be unanimous, no doubt hoping to convince and thus worry casual readers this was such a stringent condition it would be impossible to meet.

But, as the article I cited made clear, in fact nearly all the relevant decisions will require only majority voting.

Careful OH, you will have them rocking backwards and forwards in their safe spaces if you keep presenting facts to them.

Both articles are reporting on the same court case it's just the right wing media report has put their own spin on it, their alternative if you like.

jds 1981
18th May 2017, 07:57
Both articles are reporting on the same court case it's just the right wing media report has put their own spin on it, their alternative if you like.

Like the right wing guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/may/16/uk-brexit-boost-ecj-rules-trade-deals-parliament-ratification

The European court of justice has raised a ray of hope for British trade negotiators with a surprise ruling that will make it harder for national parliaments to block key components of any future post-Brexit deal between the EU and the UK.

In a long-awaited test case that had been expected to complicate the Brexit process, the court instead ruled that EU officials had exclusive powers to negotiate international trade deals without ratification by national and regional parliaments