• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT not worth it anymore?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT not worth it anymore?

Hello

I am new here and i was hoping from some advice. I have been interested in computers for quite a while now, and have various vocational qualifications. I was about to start an IT degree, but after reading a lot of sites and articles and hearing from different IT pros i'm not sure its an area to get into if you want to earn decent money. There seems to be a lot of problems in IT, and although i like it, i'm wondering if i should look elsewhere for more steady career prospects. I notice that it has been mentioned a few times about becoming a tradesman. Is it a lucrative thing to get into?

Thanks.

"Is it a lucrative thing to get into?"

Answer = No.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by rge
      Hello

I am new here and i was hoping from some advice. I have been interested in computers for quite a while now, and have various vocational qualifications. I was about to start an IT degree, but after reading a lot of sites and articles and hearing from different IT pros i'm not sure its an area to get into if you want to earn decent money. There seems to be a lot of problems in IT, and although i like it, i'm wondering if i should look elsewhere for more steady career prospects. I notice that it has been mentioned a few times about becoming a tradesman. Is it a lucrative thing to get into?

Thanks.
      Only do it if you love it.

If you want big money I would go to finance.

Comment

Originally posted by rge
        I notice that it has been mentioned a few times about becoming a tradesman. Is it a lucrative thing to get into?
        Don't choose the profession on the basis of expected monetary returns - there are enough fools who will do that and this will lead to inevitable drop in rates, so you will end up doing job that you don't really like while getting crap pay.

Comment

Originally posted by rge
          Hello

Thanks.

If you wanna work for someone else, ie web developer of some sorts, or .NET dev.. work in an agency for low rate pay for a few years, then go freelance.. .NET devs get about 450 a day at the moment.

If you're gonna succeed at this though, you do have to love it. Nothing is worse than reems of code, a deadline, and the wish that you were elsewhere..

To make good money, you really need to be good.
          To be or not to be... or get someone else to be, and take the slack for it.

Comment

definite go for something u love doing

I wish I had gone into sports management or something to do with sports.....don't know why I didn't...although I didn't go into IT for the money, just that there was all the hype on IT when I was doing my a-levels back in 1996.......the newest thing......

How does one become a football agent???

Basketball coach??? Not in demand in UK...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
              I would disagree. if you want the big money get yourself CORGI registered and do gas work. You can charge up to £80/hour (although i think the average is £50/hour) and people will pay it.

Majority of the work will be cash in hand or cheque. Make sure your company name is your name (e.g. Joe Bloogs Gas Fitters) and when they ask who to make the cheque payable say Joe Bloggs. Put what you want through the company and take the rest as and when you feel like it with very little chance of anybody tracing the money.

No IR35 to worry about, and once you are registered as a Gas Installer you will always find work.

I have a mate who quit coding to go and do this and he's doing very well for himself, works when he feels like it and brings in much more than he did from coding. I sometimes think about doing it myself, maybe when Plan B is bringing in a lot more money

Comment

Do Law and/or Accountancy.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Divorce Solicitors make tulipe loads of money and are all completely devious feckers who I hope die a horrible death.

Not that I'm bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
                    Agreed. You can do IT in the finance sector and get very good money. Even tape-changers!

Comment

Working...
                    X