• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My simplistic way to determine inside IR35 rate.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My simplistic way to determine inside IR35 rate.

In a very simple terms what I do to get the inside IR35 rate for a given day rate is:

From the total gross out of IR35 deduct your expenses to get the profit.
    From the profit deduct the 20% corp tax + any dividend tax to get the net take home (X).

Now it is a bit of try and error with any salary calculator to get a net salary value = or ~ X.
    Bear in mind that for any figure will need to have 13% ErNIC taken out first, before you compare the salary.

Roughly this resulted in in-IR35 of £780/day for a normal £550/day out-IR35 in my case, but it will vary with you.
    Last edited by pscont; 22 May 2017, 15:03.

Won't it depend on expenses?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As I've stated previously, here's my approach:

1) Work out the take home you want / need / currently have after expenses
      2) Add your expenses onto that amount
      3) That becomes your new take home
      4) Plug that amount into an income tax calculator and see what the gross weekly / monthly figure should be to meet that take home
      5) If you are expecting to pay the apprentice levy from your rate, add 0.5% on to that

For example, if you want to take home £4000 a month plus £1000 a month expenses, you need to be looking for an annual gross rate of £7500 a month - so your £200 has now become £375 a day, which is an increase of 87% (somewhat higher than the 25-30% that some people bandy around).

£550 a day with no expenses minus corporation tax means you're looking for £8800 a month. To match that, you need to be after £15k a month gross, so around £750 - an increase of 36% (again, much higher than some guessed rates of what you need to increase your rate by). If you have an average of £30 expenses then your net income needs to go up by another £600 to £9400, and your gross rate to a shade over £800 per day (45%).

There are different ways to work out what you need to charge to match (or get close to) the outside IR35 rate - the only certainty is that the higher the expenses and the lower the rate, the percentage increase gets much much bigger.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It will of course, that's why it is simplistic.

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
          It will of course, that's why it is simplistic.
          Oh.. right. Thanks for that. How have your clients reacted to you asking for £780 a day so far?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Last Client Co insisted I went through this exercise with them, despite the fact that I told them it wasn't worth doing. When I told them it would be approximately double they were disinclined to discuss it further....
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Oh.. right. Thanks for that. How have your clients reacted to you asking for £780 a day so far?
              It is either this or they need to find someone else. Still waiting.

Comment

High expenses (such as working away from home during the week) while outside IR35 eats into any profit, so in some cases being inside IR35 with a suitable rate increase (e.g. 30%+) and also getting the client to swallow some of the expenses (e.g. accommodation) may even be slightly better than being outside IR35 and having to cover all expenses out of income.

I keep telling myself that anyway.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                X