• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bought Jethro's latest DVD - It grieves me to say it's crap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought Jethro's latest DVD - It grieves me to say it's crap

The first ten minutes were great, and then it was as if the quality fell off a cliff - stale, juvenile, and embarrassingly unfunny jokes.

These days, with the web, there's no excuse for a comedian not to at least come up with decent jokes. Hell, in no time I could pirate two hours of jokes from rec.humor (or could a few years ago - haven't checked it recently, and the quality may have declined since then).

But the DVD was worse worse than that - Jethro seemed to be just going through the motions, and came over as a poor spiritless imitation of himself in past years. And he gave far too much time to those yokels (his neighbours or drinking pals?), whose quality of jokes and delivery is about equal to my skills in brain surgery.

All in all rather disappointing.

edit: For those (including Xoggoth of all people) who haven't heard of Jethro, he's a Cornish stand-up comic whose stock in trade is a slightly drunken sounding delivery and coarse jokes.

He hasn't appeared on TV AFAIK. (I think he must realize his repertoire is too threadbare to carry a whole series - TV gobbles up material like a whale eating krill, and in any case he is up with or past Roy Chubby Brown on the crudity scale.) But he does a tour of live shows in two or three dozen towns each year. I saw him in Reading a couple of years back, and that show was brilliant.
    Last edited by Nipple Clamp; 19 November 2006, 22:16.

Who's Jethro?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Jethro was funny once. June 30th 1972, IIRC.

Since then he's been, and remains crap. Yes he's Cornish and some people find the Cornish accent funny, for about 3 minutes, not counting anyone who's ever been Cornwall or has ever lived there. That seems to be the basis for his whole act. "I'm Cornish, I have a funny accent and I swear a lot."

Don't bother.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

My relatives think he is brilliant. They are all from the west country and are in their seventies or eighties. Enough said.

Comment

I thought you mean Jethro Tull.

Oh well, I killed the thread after about 9 seconds.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Yeh I thought you were talking about Ian Anderson as well.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I thought he was talking about the seed drill - I thought that was pretty rubbish also
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Jethro, Chubby Brown and Jim Davidson, they don't make comdians like that anymore

Thank God
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                X