• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit Policy Papers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Policy Papers

So while everyone in the UK is either focused on the election or X-Factor, the EU released the draft proposals for the negotians re. Brexit. Actually there are only 2 so far as they're the 2 that they want to work with first, one regarding citizens rights and the other regarding the financial settlement. Although they're drafts, after reading them I suspect that these are very close to the final thing:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/publ...egotiations_en

Now we know that May said the UK government wouldn't put their negotiating strategy out into the public domain but David Davies has actually published a working document giving some guidelines:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

I have only skimmed through and am no expert, but it looks very reasonable to me. I can't see anyone objecting to the rights of citizens being paramount, and I think that we should obviously make any payments that we have actually committed to. There will need to be an adjustment for infrastructure that we part-own, obviously, but that will form part of "the negotiation".

I still wish it wasn't happening though.

Comment

IV. Enforcement and dispute settlement rules
      (1) The Commission should have full powers for the monitoring and the Court of Justice of the European Union should have full jurisdiction corresponding to the duration of the protection of citizen's rights in the Withdrawal agreement.
      (2) Citizens should thus be able to enforce their rights granted by the Withdrawal Agreement in accordance with the same ordinary rules as set out in the Union Treaties on cooperation between national courts and the Court of Justice, i.e. including a mechanism analogous to Article 267 TFEU for preliminary reference from UK courts to the Court of Justice of the European Union.
      Fook that
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Look on the bright side, although the European Court of Justice will still preside over the UK, the UK government won't have to attend all those incredibly boring, tedious meetings that will decide the legislation it will enforce.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

ECJ will only apply to any EU citizens, the UK Govt will have a free hand to do whatever Empress May likes to the poor sods who are not protected by Europe...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            ECJ will only apply to any EU citizens, the UK Govt will have a free hand to do whatever Empress May likes to the poor sods who are not protected by Europe...
            Like they have already.

I guess people will have to resort to the European Court of Human Rights instead....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X