• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Donald Trump to dump the Paris agreement on Climate Change in 5 mins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donald Trump to dump the Paris agreement on Climate Change in 5 mins

Comment

Dumb. Predictable but still dumb.

Coal cannot compete with gas and renewables. He's selling a false prospectus to the miners.

The rest of the world will carry on with its transition to sustainable energy, and probably whack a carbon border tariff on American exports. Trumpty has forfeited the US seat at the cllimate table, for the sake of getting out of a non-binding agreement. Sad.

ELEANOR HALL: You're suggesting that the European countries and China could gang up on the US if it does withdraw?

LUKE KEMP: I certainly hope so, I think that would be a far more effective outcome than Paris ever could have been. If Europe and China combine their emissions trading schemes and apply a common border tariff against the US, that's much more likely to actually get Trump to act on emissions than simply caving into the demands of the US.

And when you look historically at international agreements, the ones that work almost always have material disincentives. When the international community wants to get things done, they use things like trade measures.

So, I think it's an opportunity to actually build something much better than Paris.
      From <http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2016/s4676829.htm>
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Trump blasts the few billions the US spends towards dealing with climate change. On the other hand the US spends 10's of Billions on conflicts around the world affecting everybody, which we all must accept like it or not.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          Dumb. Predictable but still dumb.

The rest of the world will carry on with its transition to sustainable energy, and probably whack a carbon border tariff on American exports. Trumpty has forfeited the US seat at the cllimate table, for the sake of getting out of a non-binding agreement. Sad.
          Exactly this.

Trump is fast driving the US towards protectionism. The world is a lot different since the 60's, much more globalised. I'm guess it'll hurt the US a lot more than the rest of the world.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Go Donald. About time somebody spoke some sense. I watched his speech and how anybody, love or loathe the guy, argue with anything he said. If we had more of that in this country our industry wouldn't be ruined by the bobs. Spot the theme though, India allowed to open as many mines as they like and pollute the environment while receiving huge sums of money. Does that country have no self-respect? Raping and pillaging other countries for their own ends. Hopefully this will be the beginning of the end. Next up a large wall between England and Scotland. The Scots want to be part of Europe? Off you go. Oh, they had the chance to leave the UK too recently didn't they? Bottled it.

Comment

US economy goes from strength to strength.

Now it has almost unlimited super cheap energy from coal and shale oil.

Comment

US are the second biggest polluter in the world gence Trump ducking out of the Paris accord.

Comment

Yeah because coal is the future
                  I have to admit it's quite funny seeing the cretins take over the world.
                  It's like Alice in Wonderland.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Yeah because coal is the future
                    I have to admit it's quite funny seeing the cretins take over the world.
                    It's like Alice in Wonderland.

Comment

Working...
                    X