• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PS Advertised Jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS Advertised Jobs?

After all the doom and gloom re: PS IR35 in April I was expecting to see a whole load of PS jobs turn up on the job sites as incumbent contractors were all jumping ship. This doesn't seem to be the case though. Not seen any obvious increase in PS roles cropping up on Jobserve. Was the 'doom and gloom' just scare mongering then, or did contractors jump and the PS clients have just not re-advertised?

Having not worked as a contractor in PS maybe these roles are advertised somewhere else and not JS?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

They might just have put plans in place to deal with everyone leaving. I know my old client started looking for permies to replace the contractors which is a very long process so too early to judge if it is a success or not.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have nothing to base this on but I'd not be surprised if most sucked up the change and are in blissful ignorance of the possibility of retro inspection.

Comment

Ive seen quite a lot of PS roles advertised on jobswerve. Essentially those working in the PS are permie tractors, content to stay in one place for years and years on end, not wanting to be 'out of work' so sit tight.

Id even imagine despite the tax hits they are now experiencing in their deemed inside IR35 role that the majority will still sit tight and take the lesser money.

You've also got to take in view many PSB's probably think they can work around the Treasury's demand re IR35 determination. I read something like 60% of determinations post April 2017 are still outside. Treasury and HMRC will surely tighted their grip on this either by changing the ESS tool or, changing contract terms to determine more inside determinations.

I'll predict now that from next April and beyond, the current 60% outside determination will reduce to 50% and lower. This is government FUD after all.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
          .. Treasury and HMRC will surely tighted their grip on this either by changing the ESS tool or, changing contract terms to determine more inside determinations...

I wonder if there will be insurance to cover those deemed outside but later (and possibly retrospectively) deemed inside by the PS client when under pressure from HMRC, or when HMRC do an investigation into the contract specifics?

If no insurance products cover this new angle, then I'd be very concerned about the implications, after all insurance companies will cover anything they think they have a chance of paying out less than they make on the premiums.

As for fewer job ads than expected, maybe the PS clients are going with the big consultancies instead. Something some say was the real intention behind the clampdown on off payroll 'staff'.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post

Id even imagine despite the tax hits they are now experiencing in their deemed inside IR35 role that the majority will still sit tight and take the lesser money.
            Broad, huge, enormous generalisation by me here but... yeah. I've been gobsmacked by how many agencies are reporting "almost" 100% successful transfers from Ltd to Umbrella, despite the significant net pay hit. Huge variance by sector & pay rate obviously, but only a single recruiter admitted to me over the last 3 months that half their workforce (Nurses) took "unexpected holiday" or just walked away.

I think we'll generally see a steady decline in contractors willing to work "caught" placements instead of mass walk-outs.

Rob@Numbermill

Comment

Working...
            X