• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We Need More Police On The Beat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Need More Police On The Beat

To anyone of a certain age, the shrinking presence of the police on out streets is quite staggering.

Where I grew up, some of the villages around had police houses where the local bobby would live and glowing blue light outside made us feel safe and provided certain reassurances. Not that there was ever any crime round here.

That's because the the local pc would know all the scroats & what they were up to.

Nowadays, even the towns round here don't have police stations. In fact, even a place the size of Bath closed its police station in 2014.

Bath's police station is to be sold to the University of Bath, while adjoining land will be bought by the council in a £7m deal, the force has confirmed.
    Contracts have been exchanged on the Manvers Street site and the sale is due to be finalised at the end of October.
    In April, the force said it wanted to reduce the number of buildings it occupied across Bristol and Somerset by 36% by 2019.
    It included closing 12 police stations in Bristol and Somerset to save money.
    Ch Supt Caroline Peters, the new area commander, said the force "understood the importance" of having a police presence in Bath.
    They've now been relegated to a counter in the local council's "One Stop Shop"

I don't buy this line that the Labour party is going to put more police on our streets. Wasn't it them in the first place who saddled them with mountains of paperwork & introduced the PCSO aka the "plastic plod" with all the clout of a traffic warden?

I guess, like a lot of our institutions, they were infiltrated with Common Purpose placemen back in the Blair years who are more concerned with prosecuting so called "hate crimes" rather than dealing with the day to day crime that affects the average Joe. Yes, we have our robocops as we've all seen on BBC Television over the weekend but I'm a firm believer in coming down hard and nipping stuff in the bud and that can only be done by putting beat police back on our streets and giving them the authority to do their job.

By selling/closing Police station buildings they are doing exactly that - putting more officers on the streets, literally...

Comment

Doomed!
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        By selling/closing Police station buildings they are doing exactly that - putting more officers on the streets, literally...
        What they actually do is consolidate the operation into a huge Fort Knox like reqional HQ - normally located on some business park off a motorway junction, miles away from the local populace where the rates are cheap, I presume (and where there are fewer proles to actually give them any work).

Comment

The plan is that the police should be able to do most of their work on the street. We currently have a situation where a PC visits a victim to take a statement writes it on paper then brings that paper back to a station to retype it into a computer. But that time is time not spent being visible on the street.

There needs to be a way to move the paperwork to combined use of body camera and some form of tablet technology.

But the fact of the matter past all of the rhetoric is that its hard work seeing what the average police officer has to deal with. They are not robots and need support and can't run on a 90% uptime management target.

Comment

I though all the Somerset police stations were moved to Bridgwater due to the amount of crime there. Mostly CUK citizens settling their differences....

Comment

We have street pastors out in town at weekends to look out for the vulnerable when the streets are filled with drunks and the fuzz is busy loading them into the black marias.

Maybe more private security is what will happen until we finally get Robocop, if there's a gap that needs filling and communities are frustrated at relying on a central force that has been decimated.

Seems everyone is being encouraged to become a plod helper, with the rise of dash cams and prevalence of smartphones. Seen the Police appealing for personal footage to be uploaded, rather than wait for CCTV evidence, so once again technology can be of use if administered appropriately.

In the meantime get down to the gym for some MMA training and make use of your citizen's arrest.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

fact, even a place the size of Bath closed its police station in 2014
                No police station in Bath??? Gordon Bennet! Even my small town still has one.

Certainly the number has dropped enormously, many villages used to have a police house where the village bobby lived. There was one up the top of my road.

Not sure that's really necessary but one of several Tory policies I haven't liked is the reduction in our police and border forces. Not that I believe Labour will reverse that, given the damage they will do to our economy with their reckless spending and destruction of incentive, they could never afford to.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 5 June 2017, 19:38.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  No police station in Bath??? Gordon Bennet! Even my small town still has one.

Certainly the number has dropped enormously, many villages used to have a police house where the village bobby lived. There was one up the top of my road.

Not sure that's really necessary but one of several Tory policies I haven't liked is the reduction in our police and border forces. Not that I believe Labour will reverse that, given the damage they will do to our economy with their reckless spending and destruction of incentive, they could never afford to.
                  Nope it's moved out of town which is not such a bad idea when you concider the tulipe traffic in the centre. It used to be on Manvers Street which is by the station and most of the time rammed to a standstill so trying to leave the area on an emergency call would suck by any standards. I think it's now on the ring road.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I though all the Somerset police stations were moved to Bridgwater due to the amount of crime there. Mostly CUK citizens settling their differences....
                    Why would there be a lot of crime in Bridgwater?

I lived there for a few years as a child in the Quantock village of Spaxton and went to school at the Haygrove School.

I have fond memories of traipsing into Bridgy of a lunchtime and having a shufty round Cornhill Indoor Market.

Some of the pubs could be a bit rough but that was par for the course in those days...

Comment

Working...
                    X