• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website with a simple database

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website with a simple database

I realise that this should be in technical, but I want some help on this quickly as I'll be getting involved in this tomorrow!!!!

I have been asked as to the possibility of hosting a database on the web. I have no web experience and only really ever used access as a database.

What would be the quickest and above all easiest way of getting a simple database up on a companies intranet? Having not used anything other than access, I'm completely open to any s/w - If it is possible, the client has even less experience in this field. Ideally I figured some form of SQL or mySQL as a means of generating the database but have no clue as to the way of generating the front end.

Can somebody please point me in the direction of a very easy tutorial to get me started so that I can run through it today. Cheers in advance
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

How quick does it need to be done?

AMP is probably the easiest way
    Apache, MySQL and PHP (php is very easy).
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

have a look at http://www.howtoforge.com. They have quite a few good tutorials for setting up a basic LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) server which should be all you need.

Comment

Just a note to follow on from Ard.. reply, this is can all be done on LINUX or WINDOWS. AMP is availbe for both
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

They certainly can, however if you use a Linux distro like Debian it is much easier to set it all up for linux as you can quickly install extra PHP and Apache modules with minimum fuss.

(apt-get rocks )

Either way, LAMP or WAMP the choice is yours

Comment

Even better you can just MySQL and PHP on Windows, thus making it just MP.

Comment

MySQL has Windows support, perhaps the quickest way to setup would be to install MySQL on a Windows machine, together with IIS...
              The rest is silence...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                Even better you can just MySQL and PHP on Windows, thus making it just MP.
                Don't you mean WIMP.... (Windows IIS Mysql PHP)

Not the top of the pile IMHO

Comment

I use my own stack written in assembly.

threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    They certainly can, however if you use a Linux distro like Debian it is much easier to set it all up for linux as you can quickly install extra PHP and Apache modules with minimum fuss.
                    Quick Q Ardesco. Ive just put ubuntu on a laptop to replace suse. It looks as if the debian apache install has fiddled with the standard apache config stuff . How do you use this 'sites-enabled' thing?
                    Is there a specific naming convention or do the entries need to match a vhost entry or something?

cheers.
                    wdmig

Comment

Working...
                    X