PDA

View Full Version : Website with a simple database

BoredBloke
20th November 2006, 14:32
I realise that this should be in technical, but I want some help on this quickly as I'll be getting involved in this tomorrow!!!!

I have been asked as to the possibility of hosting a database on the web. I have no web experience and only really ever used access as a database.

What would be the quickest and above all easiest way of getting a simple database up on a companies intranet? Having not used anything other than access, I'm completely open to any s/w - If it is possible, the client has even less experience in this field. Ideally I figured some form of SQL or mySQL as a means of generating the database but have no clue as to the way of generating the front end.

Can somebody please point me in the direction of a very easy tutorial to get me started so that I can run through it today. Cheers in advance

MrsGoof
20th November 2006, 14:40
How quick does it need to be done?

AMP is probably the easiest way
Apache, MySQL and PHP (php is very easy).

Ardesco
20th November 2006, 14:40
have a look at http://www.howtoforge.com. They have quite a few good tutorials for setting up a basic LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) server which should be all you need.

MrsGoof
20th November 2006, 14:42
Just a note to follow on from Ard.. reply, this is can all be done on LINUX or WINDOWS. AMP is availbe for both

Ardesco
20th November 2006, 14:45
They certainly can, however if you use a Linux distro like Debian it is much easier to set it all up for linux as you can quickly install extra PHP and Apache modules with minimum fuss.

(apt-get rocks :) )

Either way, LAMP or WAMP the choice is yours :)

AtW
20th November 2006, 14:48
Even better you can just MySQL and PHP on Windows, thus making it just MP.

Viktor
20th November 2006, 14:51
MySQL has Windows support, perhaps the quickest way to setup would be to install MySQL on a Windows machine, together with IIS...

Ardesco
20th November 2006, 14:51
Even better you can just MySQL and PHP on Windows, thus making it just MP.

Don't you mean WIMP.... (Windows IIS Mysql PHP) :talk:

Not the top of the pile IMHO :p

AtW
20th November 2006, 14:52
I use my own stack written in assembly.

threaded.

where did my id go?
20th November 2006, 19:27
They certainly can, however if you use a Linux distro like Debian it is much easier to set it all up for linux as you can quickly install extra PHP and Apache modules with minimum fuss.

Quick Q Ardesco. Ive just put ubuntu on a laptop to replace suse. It looks as if the debian apache install has fiddled with the standard apache config stuff :tantrum: . How do you use this 'sites-enabled' thing?
Is there a specific naming convention or do the entries need to match a vhost entry or something?

cheers.
wdmig

DimPrawn
20th November 2006, 20:15
For a simple website:

I would recommend the full J2EE treatment, with application servers clustered against a full Oracle Enterprise backend.

You know it makes sense.

HTH

EDS

Ardesco
20th November 2006, 20:40
With apache 2 you will have 2 directories, sites-available and sites-enabled. create a file in the sites-available directory (call it anything you want) and put in the site definition that you would usually put in your httpd.conf file (if using apache 1).

then on the command line do:

a2ensite <filename>

This will symlink the file into the sites-enabled directory.

To remove a site do the following:

a2dissite <filename>

This removes the symlink from the enabled directory without removing the cfg file.

Look here for more information:

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/207

It may seem cumbersome at first, but it can be quite useful when dealing with lots of sites.

(***Note*** Ubuntu is a slightly modified Debian build that I don't personally use. I'm assuming that Ubuntu is the same as Debian in this regard)

AtW
20th November 2006, 20:44
(***Note*** Ubuntu is a slightly modified Debian build that I don't personally use.

*cough* Nerd *cough*

Ardesco
20th November 2006, 20:51
Is it not slightly modified then AtW ?

I was assuming so since it installs with a full GUI. I only use linux for servers as unfortunatly I need to use programs like MS Office which don't work too well in Linux (and why screw about with WINE for an age to get the damn thing working at 90% when you can just run XP and be compatible with every majour peice of software out there)

I await your response so that I can see how I have made an arse of myself this time :rolleyes:

AtW
20th November 2006, 20:54
Sometimes one can see more with one eyes closed...

Ardesco
20th November 2006, 21:13
I was sitting here wondering what you are going on about when I suddenly realised i'm looking back at what i wrote first closing one eye reading the text, opening it and doing the same with the other eye....

Curse you and your Russian mind tricks!!! :)

Anyway I have no idea what you are on about AtW....

AtW
20th November 2006, 21:48
Apologies - I am high on thallium poweder tonight, I will get me coat...

Ardesco
20th November 2006, 21:54
heh :)

AtW
20th November 2006, 21:56
Use your mouse.

where did my id go?
20th November 2006, 22:22
Cheers Ardesco.

I'll read that linky. It just seemed strange, I think it is a debian thing, and ubuntu is pretty much debian +gnome.

'Nerd' from Alex is a bit Pot-Kettleish