• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it time for Hard Brexiter Tories to vote Labour?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it time for Hard Brexiter Tories to vote Labour?

It seems the DUP and the Scottish Tories both want the softest of Brexits, including free trade and the free movement that implies, and in practice this would amount to no Brexit at all.

So since shadow chancellor John McDonnell has reaffirmed Corbyn's commitment to Hard Brexit, should the diehard Tories here who want a hard Brexit contemplate voting Labour next time?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

The Labour party's official position:

We will scrap the Conservatives’
    Brexit White Paper and replace it
    with fresh negotiating priorities that
    have a strong emphasis on retaining
    the benefits of the Single 0arket
    and the Customs Union – which
    are essential for maintaining
    industries, jobs and businesses in
    Britain. Labour will always put jobs
    and the economy first.
    which as you can see doesn't include a commitment to either leaving the single market or customs union, just a woolly phrase leaving everything open. Sound very soft actually.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 12 June 2017, 10:06.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      The Labour party's official position:

Sound very soft actually

I heard him on Radio 4 last night say in person that "Labour is committed to a hard Brexit".

(But of course I realize he is very keen to keep on side those many former UKIP voters who voted Labour this time.)

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        It seems the DUP and the Scottish Tories both want the softest of Brexits, including free trade and the free movement that implies, and in practice this would amount to no Brexit at all.

So since shadow chancellor John McDonnell has reaffirmed Corbyn's commitment to Hard Brexit, should the diehard Tories here who want a hard Brexit contemplate voting Labour next time?
        What advantages do you think a hard Brexit gives for Britain?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well actually I think they might end up like Switzerland but inside the Customs Union.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            What advantages do you think a hard Brexit gives for Britain?
            Primarily, no freedom of movement from EU countries.

(and yes, I know we are not currently in Schengen, and that UK governments including the present Tories have let the torrent of immigration continue unchecked. But all the same we must have control of our borders.)

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Primarily, no freedom of movement from EU countries.
              So why don't we just insist, as EU rules allow, that the only EU people who can come in (1) have private health insurance and (2) have a job offer that is highly paid enough that means no reliance on the state, even for tax credits?

And have other rules and regs like Switzerland, which means they only get the cream?
              Last edited by sasguru; 12 June 2017, 10:21.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

This is exactly why Brexit will be a disaster, because it is abundantly clear that freedom of movement will continue after what is now clearly going to be a Soft Brexit, after the Tories lost the GE, but a substantial number of companies will be relocating out of Britain, so leaving Britain poorer but still with freedom of movement.

Britain will have no influence on rules and regulations and will govern by "fax machine", as Norway does.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

That's why I think the Tories might split as disenchanted Hard Brexiteer Tories desert to UKIP and leave Labour and other parties to form a semi-permanent coalition perhaps including Scottish and pro-EU Tories.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    That's why I think the Tories might split as disenchanted Hard Brexiteer Tories desert to UKIP and leave Labour and other parties to form a semi-permanent coalition perhaps including Scottish and pro-EU Tories.
                    Yes. The best Brexit deal is to not Brexit.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X