• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halifax Clarity card - £500 limit - whats the point?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halifax Clarity card - £500 limit - whats the point?

Could even break that limit claiming benefits.

Thought it'd be nice to have - for foreign spending. Currently got a santander one but this one is a bit better.

So I go on online chat, yes should be ok. I apply - congrats you're accepted. Credit limit £500! So I go back on chat and point out its useless for me - can ask for an increase in 6 months. Waste of my time.

Seems people like Halifax are not going to win much business from others if they give out these sort of limits. Appreciate banks are mega cautious these days, but its not going to much of a risk for them to give me £5K limit (which would be ok for me). When I've got about 80K limits on other cards. Don;t see to see the big picture - obviously now I'm going to tell them to stuff the card and stick with my amex (that I spend about £30K a year on).
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Might be good for a complete tight wad who has to start an internet forum discussion before he spends a tenner
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Could even break that limit claiming benefits.

Thought it'd be nice to have - for foreign spending. Currently got a santander one but this one is a bit better.

So I go on online chat, yes should be ok. I apply - congrats you're accepted. Credit limit £500! So I go back on chat and point out its useless for me - can ask for an increase in 6 months. Waste of my time.

Seems people like Halifax are not going to win much business from others if they give out these sort of limits. Appreciate banks are mega cautious these days, but its not going to much of a risk for them to give me £5K limit (which would be ok for me). When I've got about 80K limits on other cards. Don;t see to see the big picture - obviously now I'm going to tell them to stuff the card and stick with my amex (that I spend about £30K a year on).
      Did you have to declare your income in the application?

Comment

Reasonable for a first credit card or if you have dodgy credit. Probably they can see you're on benefits and not to be trusted.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Some people like a low limit credit card that they can use for occasional internet spending - a friend of mine deliberately has one that has £2000 on it because he thinks that if anyone scams the number then they can't get very far with it (ignoring the usual protections etc etc).

To only be offered £500 implies a poor credit history. Whether that means that you have a clean history so no chance of them making lots of money from you, or whether you have a poor payment record, or something in between - only you know.

But if I was offered something with that low limit, I'd check what a financial records search might turn up just in case.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Reasonable for a first credit card or if you have dodgy credit. Probably they can see you're on benefits and not to be trusted.
            Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Some people like a low limit credit card that they can use for occasional internet spending - a friend of mine deliberately has one that has £2000 on it because he thinks that if anyone scams the number then they can't get very far with it (ignoring the usual protections etc etc).

To only be offered £500 implies a poor credit history. Whether that means that you have a clean history so no chance of them making lots of money from you, or whether you have a poor payment record, or something in between - only you know.

But if I was offered something with that low limit, I'd check what a financial records search might turn up just in case.
            But it's a great opportunity for PC to try to rebuild his credit history. Next step, lose the prepay leccy and gas meters.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              Might be good for a complete tight wad who has to start an internet forum discussion before he spends a tenner
              Hehe!

It could also be useful for upping your credit score, if this isn't already pristine.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

There are a few options here: http://www.uswitch.com/credit-cards/...ds-unemployed/

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Aye. Have checked. credit is v good indeed.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X