• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CatFlap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CatFlap

Damn cats,

we paid not a small amount of money last week for a man to come along, remove a panel of toughened doubleglazed glass from the wintergarden and replace with a new panel containing a cat flap

and the cats won't use the cat flap

Milan.

How may we assist you in this doings?
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Put the cats outside and wait. Don't let them into the house.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

And you'll be invaded by neighbourhood felines sweeping up....

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          Damn cats,

we paid not a small amount of money last week for a man to come along, remove a panel of toughened doubleglazed glass from the wintergarden and replace with a new panel containing a cat flap

Milan.
          In English, we call it a conservatory.

We went through a similar process. Got a cat, had the unit replaced with a new one with the catflap (linked to our cat's RF tag) installed (900CHF!). Eventually we got the cat to use it with the help of cat treats. Now - a year later - we're having all the doors and windows replaced in the house.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
            Damn cats,

Milan.
            I suggest you tie the cat flap wide open to start with and entice the cat with a food bowl the other side to go through it.

Then each day for a week, loosen the string holding it open so the cat must push the flap a bit more each day, until eventually you can remove the string entirely and the cat(s) should happily barge through it as intended.

The only slight snag is that this will make the flap "unidirectional" to start with, and I'm not sure how one gets round that, short of having two "one way" flaps side by side.
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 14 June 2017, 09:12.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Surround the cats with fire outside, so the only escape is through the cat flap.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

thanks all great advice

the investment in the new glass in the wintergarden/conservatory/orangery must pay off

I was up at 4am this morning to let the buggers in because they won't use the new flap

(they have magnet to enable entry)

Milan.

Comment

Double glazing's a pain.

I've replaced a couple of windows in my house but stuck with the original single glazing (shh, don't tell the council) because,well, just because...

So I can whip a pane out, take it up the local glazier who cuts a section out for a couple of quid and I put it back in with some fresh putty and fit the cat flap. Sorted

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                    Double glazing's a pain.

I've replaced a couple of windows in my house but stuck with the original single glazing (shh, don't tell the council) because,well, just because...

So I can whip a pane out, take it up the local glazier who cuts a section out for a couple of quid and I put it back in with some fresh putty and fit the cat flap. Sorted
                    Double glazing is only really good for sound insulation. To preserve heat, just get heavy curtains.

Comment

Working...
                    X