PDA

View Full Version : Hammond blames Brexit for Tory election failure

BlasterBates
14th June 2017, 16:15
Hammond - young people voted Labour to stop Brexit (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4598694/Theresa-PM-says-Michael-Gove.html)

We can see where this is heading, can't we, he is even talking directly with his counterparts in Europe.

:D

jamesbrown
14th June 2017, 16:19
I know what you mean, but it seems unlikely that he'd be sacked in current circumstances :D

But there's no harm in "consultation". None at all. Just like the Brexit Select Committee.

Steve Baker can solicit views :D

northernladyuk
14th June 2017, 16:21
I know what you mean, but it seems unlikely that he'd be sacked in current circumstances :D

But there's no harm in "consultation". None at all. Just like the Brexit Select Committee.

Steve Baker can solicit views :D

Sack him? They can't afford the lost vote in the Commons.

BlasterBates
14th June 2017, 16:27
So when May appears at the negotiations next week presumably the EU commission will be quaking in its boots when May say that the government is fully behind her for a Hard Brexit.

jamesbrown
14th June 2017, 16:47
Sack him? They can't afford the lost vote in the Commons.

Precisely. Seems very unlikely. :D However, in his defence, he's been revisiting the idea of the CU on a biweekly basis, so he's at least consistent.

NotAllThere
14th June 2017, 17:48
Precisely. Seems very unlikely. :D However, in his defence, he's been revisiting the idea of the CU on a biweekly basis, so he's at least consistent.

CU? The university Christian Union? I thought that was the Liberal chap.

woohoo
14th June 2017, 17:55
He should get back to learning how to drive a bloody electric car rather than meddling in things he knows nothing about.

VectraMan
14th June 2017, 18:53
Good to see there's someone left from the proper Tory party.

BrilloPad
14th June 2017, 19:02
So when May appears at the negotiations next week presumably the EU commission will be quaking in its boots when May say that the government is fully behind her for a Hard Brexit.

May won't get a word in edgeways.

PurpleGorilla
14th June 2017, 19:37
Brexit was irrelevant:

Foxes
Kids dinners
Dementia tax
Police cuts (terrorism)

WTFH
14th June 2017, 19:38
May won't get a word in edgeways.

Well, first she'll have to wait until they stop laughing at her

jamesbrown
14th June 2017, 19:41
CU? The university Christian Union? I thought that was the Liberal chap.

I thought university CU was a little too enlightened for the Liberal chap? Isn't he more Old Testament?

WTFH
14th June 2017, 19:52
I thought university CU was a little too enlightened for the Liberal chap? Isn't he more Old Testament?

Isn't that the bit that talks about killing all who disagree with God, that the sin of Onan is punishable with stoning, as is adultery, divorce, and eating meat from animals with cloven hooves? But some of those are from the historical bit, not the laws bit. (Kinda like the Quran)

Oh yeah, and how do you think her new BFFs - the DUP (who say the Pope is the Anti-Christ) are going to react if they read that they are getting into bed with a "Papist"?

http://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2017/03/10/theresa-may-is-britains-first-catholic-prime-minister-says-michael-gove/

jamesbrown
14th June 2017, 20:45
Isn't that the bit that talks about killing all who disagree with God

I think so, but the Liberal chap only kills people in his head. He doesn't actually do it. He just imagines doing it, which is probably fine and not totally incompatible with being a Lib Dem. With the DUP, all of their unsavoury views are devolved, so that's also perfectly fine.

Eirikur
15th June 2017, 07:31
Both tories did bad and labour did well because of May, labour is misleading itself thy did well because of comrade Corbyn

motoukenin
15th June 2017, 08:36
Don't think May will be doing much of the negotiating and David Davies and Hammond are now talking about a soft Brexit, which technically is not a Brexit, I am going to do a 30K falling knife bet on pound going up 5% I am so confident this will happen my girlfriend is already spending the 6K I am about to make.

BrilloPad
15th June 2017, 08:39
Don't think May will be doing much of the negotiating and David Davies and Hammond are now talking about a soft Brexit, which technically is not a Brexit, I am going to do a 30K falling knife bet on pound going up 5% I am so confident this will happen my girlfriend is already spending the 6K I am about to make.

The MF strategy. What could possibly go wrong?

motoukenin
15th June 2017, 08:44
The MF strategy. What could possibly go wrong?

When your betting against moronic stupidity you will always win in the end

BrilloPad
15th June 2017, 08:51
When your betting against moronic stupidity you will always win in the end

I don't think Einstein agreed with you....

OwlHoot
15th June 2017, 08:54

Absolutely - The World can stay Stupid longer than you can stay Solvent! :laugh

Mordac
15th June 2017, 09:04

If it's not Brexit, it won't wash. If we go to the EU in sackcloth and ashes we will be properly crucified (apologies to my fellow atheists for the Biblical metaphors). That certainly won't help the pound, so it looks like you could be down £36k.

Shame. :violin:

BlasterBates
15th June 2017, 09:11
That's why there should simply be a reversal of Brexit. It makes no difference if the UK stays or does a Soft Brexit, there will still be outrage, therefore they should simply go the whole hog and call it off.

In fact I very much suspect that is going to happen, unless the Hard Brexiteers pull their weight behind a Soft Brexit.

Ambrose says as much in the Telegraph, that the push for a Hard Brexit is going to result in no Brexit at all.

A hard Brexit risks no Brexit at all (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/06/14/hard-brexit-risks-no-brexit/)

motoukenin
15th June 2017, 09:15

When I was at University in the UK I became very interested in Lyapunov Exponent and Entropy, OK a bit Geeky but started to realise that you can make money out of this because uncertainty drives the markets but calculating this uncertainty is certainly possible.

With Brexit do understand there are limits which the UK cannot exceed and therefor this is not a truly chaotic event which Einstein was describing and therefore one which I am guaranteed to make money on.

motoukenin
15th June 2017, 09:25
If it's not Brexit, it won't wash. If we go to the EU in sackcloth and ashes we will be properly crucified (apologies to my fellow atheists for the Biblical metaphors). That certainly won't help the pound, so it looks like you could be down £36k.

I will point you to Schrodingers Theory, the cat is neither alive or dead right now

BlasterBates
15th June 2017, 09:27
Indeed there is an important point is that most people would accept a Brexit which would result in an economic boom. That is if the economy picks up as negotiations get under way, NHS waiting lists drop and rail services improve, public opinion will swing behind Brexit, and the Brexiteers will bask in glory. However if the economy turns down, inflation picks up and public services deteriorate, it will be bye bye Brexit.

motoukenin
15th June 2017, 09:39
Indeed there is an important point is that most people would accept a Brexit which would result in an economic boom. That is if the economy picks up as negotiations get under way, NHS waiting lists drop and rail services improve, public opinion will swing behind Brexit, and the Brexiteers will bask in glory. However if the economy turns down, inflation picks up and public services deteriorate, it will be bye bye Brexit.

Had a strong feeling that Brexit was more about immigration than anything else, something that most people even remoaners agreed with but putting that explosion back in the bomb was never going to work, funny watching people try tho.

Mordac
15th June 2017, 09:46
I will point you to Schrodingers Theory, the cat is neither alive or dead right now

It's got sod all to do with Schrodinger's Theory (which was always either bollocks or drug induced anyway). If the UK backs down now, the "punishment" for showing dissent could well be more catastrophic than any short-term consequence of Brexit could ever have been. And if we end up staying as we were, we're nothing more than the EU's second biggest cashpoint machine. I will take a "softer" Brexit, but it has to be Brexit, and something we can walk away from when the cost becomes prohibitive.

northernladyuk
15th June 2017, 09:48
It's got sod all to do with Schrodinger's Theory (which was always either bollocks or drug induced anyway). If the UK backs down now, the "punishment" for showing dissent could well be more catastrophic than any short-term consequence of Brexit could ever have been. And if we end up staying as we were, we're nothing more than the EU's second biggest cashpoint machine. I will take a "softer" Brexit, but it has to be Brexit, and something we can walk away from when the cost becomes prohibitive.

Stop this defeatist scaremongering immediately. The UK is in charge because the UK is a net contributor and has a negative balance or trade with the rest of the EU.

sasguru
15th June 2017, 09:49
Indeed there is an important point is that most people would accept a Brexit which would result in an economic boom.

Brexit cannot result in an economic boom -it's a physical and logical impossibility.
Even Brexiters have stopped saying we can make up for putting a few spokes in the wheels of EU trade by trading with other countries.
Because:

1. Other countries aren't that interested in a middling European power with hardly any indigenous manufacturing industry.
2. Other countries are not interested in opening up their service industries to us - why would they create more competition for their natives?
3. The US will look after Number 1 - itself.

For a year now I've been waiting for a Brexiter to tell me how this post-Brexit economic boom can happen.
But not a single one from Boris and David Davies downwards can do so.
Why? Because its wishful thinking, pie-in-the sky bollocks, similar to Corbyn's magic money tree.

northernladyuk
15th June 2017, 09:51
Brexit cannot result in an economic boom -it's a physical and logical impossibility.
Even Brexiters have stopped saying we can make up for putting a few spokes in the wheels of EU trade by trading with other countries.
Because:

1. Other countries aren't that interested in a middling European power with hardly any indigenous manufacturing industry.
2. Other countries are not interested in opening up their service industries to us - why would they create more competition for their natives?
3. The US will look after Number 1 - itself.

For a year now I've been waiting for a Brexiter to tell me how this post-Brexit economic boom can happen.
But not a single one from Boris and David Davies downwards can do so.
Why? Because its wishful thinking, pie-in-the sky bollocks, similar to Corbyn's magic money tree.

As the Danish Finance Minister said:

There are two kinds of European nations. There are small nations and there are countries that have not yet realised they are small nations.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/14/road-to-brexit-is-paved-with-amusement-danish-and-brave-faces-british

motoukenin
15th June 2017, 09:52

Listen to Hammonds speech on Thursday and embrace the science Mordac

UK Chancellor Philip Hammond Mansion House speech opposing 'Hard Brexit' - Business Insider (http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-chancellor-philip-hammond-mansion-house-speech-opposing-hard-brexit-2017-6)

sasguru
15th June 2017, 09:53
It's got sod all to do with Schrodinger's Theory (which was always either bollocks or drug induced anyway)..

Why is it that you take pride in showing what a thick, ignorant cretin you are?
Genuinely interested in the answer.

sal
15th June 2017, 09:54

He is already down at least £4.5k, since 5% of 30k is 1.5k, not 6k that his GF spent already

northernladyuk
15th June 2017, 09:55

It's fierce competition for the CUK Cretin of the Year Award this year, so they're just doing their best.

motoukenin
15th June 2017, 10:16
He is already down at least £4.5k, since 5% of 30k is 1.5k, not 6k that his GF spent already

Didn't say I was buying 30K of sterling, your spending far too much time coding and not enough time actually making any money, shameful.

OwlHoot
15th June 2017, 10:25
It's fierce competition for the CUK Cretin of the Year Award this year, so they're just doing their best.

"they're" and "their"? All sounds a bit 3rd person to me, considering you're also a prime contender! :laugh

Mordac
15th June 2017, 10:28

It's hardly ignorant to conclude that the cat is always dead, either by the radiation or the poison. If it's the radiation, the cat will appear to be alive, depending on when the box is opened, as death by radiation poisoning is a more gradual process. It's pointless to theorise on cat behaviour, as Beansey has recently demonstrated. :wink
Anyway, to summarise, introducing Schrodinger's Theory into the Brexit discussion is utterly cretinous (to borrow your term).
I take pride in very little, pride is a bit too much of a subjective concept, but that's probably a discussion for another thread (or day).
I'm actually quite chuffed that you think I'm a "thick, ignorant cretin" because that's how you seem to describe anyone who doesn't share your views, particularly about the EU. Are you scared you might be wrong? :wink

northernladyuk
15th June 2017, 10:28
"they're" and "their"? All sounds a bit 3rd person to me, considering you're also a prime contender! :laugh

We know that's not true.

BrilloPad
15th June 2017, 10:31

There is already a clear winner. Its just second place to be decided.

Mordac
15th June 2017, 10:32
We know that's not true.

No, fair point; cretin-status is more of an "unattainable aspiration" in your case, love. :smokin

northernladyuk
15th June 2017, 10:33
There is already a clear winner. Its just second place to be decided.

We're not even halfway through the year yet! NigelUK or GB9 might turn up again yet.

motoukenin
15th June 2017, 11:15
No, fair point; cretin-status is more of an "unattainable aspiration" in your case, love. :smokin

Had you down as accountancy type maybe SAP or PA definitely not scientific type, now with the "love" bit on the end of that statement more leaning on a shovel type while posting on a smartphone.

:smile

AtW
15th June 2017, 11:18
We're not even halfway through the year yet! NigelUK or GB9 might turn up again yet.

Only in a re-run...

sasguru
15th June 2017, 11:24
Had you down as accountancy type maybe SAP or PA definitely not scientific type, now with the "love" bit on the end of that statement more leaning on a shovel type while posting on a smartphone.

He's certainly not a business type given how he got completed shafted by his agent.:D

sasguru
15th June 2017, 11:26
I'm actually quite chuffed that you think I'm a "thick, ignorant cretin" because that's how you seem to describe anyone who doesn't share your views, particularly about the EU. Are you scared you might be wrong? :wink

No I describe thick, ignorant cretins as thick, ignorant cretins whether or not they happen to share my views.

HTH.

OwlHoot
15th June 2017, 13:34
Ambrose says as much in the Telegraph, that the push for a Hard Brexit is going to result in no Brexit at all.

A hard Brexit risks no Brexit at all (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/06/14/hard-brexit-risks-no-brexit/)

I've a lot of time for Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, but in that article (as much of it I could read without paying!) he misses a massive point that invalidates his whole idea of an orderly Brexit over several or many years: Most MPs and MSM media outlets (such as the BBC), now and probably for the foreseeable future, are against Brexit and will be fighting ceaselessly to undermine and dilute it.

So now, because of a combination of political misjudgements (e.g. by Cameron) and good luck, we have an opportunity for a complete Brexit we should go at it hammer and tongs and get the damned thing done decisively, contrary to what he claims.

BlasterBates
15th June 2017, 13:42
I've a lot of time for Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, but in that article (as much of it I could read without paying!) he misses a massive point that invalidates his whole idea of an orderly Brexit over several or many years: Most MPs and MSM media outlets (such as the BBC), now and probably for the foreseeable future, are against Brexit and will be fighting ceaselessly to undermine and dilute it.

So now, because of a combination of political misjudgements (e.g. by Cameron) and good luck, we have an opportunity for a complete Brexit we should go at it hammer and tongs and get the damned thing done decisively, contrary to what he claims.

That's what the government was trying to do, but the General election has torpedo'd their plan. Remain Tories deserted the party. There will be another election and if the economy tanks that means a Labour government. If you read their manifesto they are not committed to a Hard Brexit, and further more they probably won't get a majority so it will be a "coalition of chaos" they will have to call a second referendum, an SNP and Lib Dem demand. In the midst of an economic downturn that will basically destroy Brexit. :D

The only hope to get a Brexit is for the Hard Brexiteers to reach out to Remain Tories. That doesn't look like it will happen because they can't accept the GE result, which rejected Hard Brexit.

northernladyuk
15th June 2017, 13:43

Ambrose is magnificent.

Mordac
15th June 2017, 17:35

Wrong on all counts. Except for the shovel...
:igmc: