• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

App of the day: Glympse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

App of the day: Glympse

A friend of mine introduced me to this one a few weeks ago, it's probably been around for ages but Ive only learned of it.
    It's cross platform and free. It allows you to broadcast your position on a map to one person or a group of them for a specific length of time (up to an hour). It will also show the route you have taken.
    Great if you're walking in the hills or meeting up with people.

...here ends my useful post of the year.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    A friend of mine introduced me to this one a few weeks ago, it's probably been around for ages but Ive only learned of it.
    It's cross platform and free. It allows you to broadcast your position on a map to one person or a group of them for a specific length of time (up to an hour). It will also show the route you have taken.

Thanks. This would have been really handy trying to get and keep people together for the Oranges and Lemons pub crawl a few years back.

Comment

Sounds stalkerish.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Sounds stalkerish.
        Ideal if you wanted your deadbeat gambler husband whacked.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Sounds stalkerish.
          No, it only works when you authorise it to broadcast your location to someone else. They can't just log in and see where you are, and once the broadcast time has expired, you would have to invite them to view it again.
          You can also request that someone shares their location, but it's up to them to agree to share, otherwise you won't know.
          The big difference between this and "Find My Friends" (apple) or whatever android has, is that this works cross platform, you can decide when you want to share your location, and groups can share what they are all doing
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Useful Google maps suffices for me though

Comment

FTFY

Very useful if you participate in country style dogging

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I've got that. Good when it works. Last time I tried to use it I was waiting 5 mins for position and gave up but I think that's because my android phone is very old and cheap as you would expect. Seem to recall GPS has always been rather crap but I've got a Garmin Oregon anyway.

PS Just tried it, Working ok.
                PPS After I turned GPS function on! Ahem.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 16 June 2017, 21:05.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  Ideal if you wanted your deadbeat gambler husband whacked.
                  Surely he'll be in the bookies (or the pub)?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Mind you, no idea how to use some things. Mine has these on-screen controls:

Top left shows normal view, 2nd left just puts circle among a lot of blank squares - guessing from icon it should show a world map, 3rd does nothing. Nothing on right does anything except centre location on screen.

Done searches, found no explanations. Can't find any images of a screen like that.

Anyone using it got any ideas?

PS Just went to bed last night and occured to me the top right is compass, points North. Still no idea about others. 2nd is a doughnut tracker maybe.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 17 June 2017, 08:52.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X