PDA

View Full Version : Client expecting me to "train up" a permie

simplicity
20th June 2017, 19:28
I have had 2 requests to train up "wanna be" PMs in my current contract. The first person asked me a couple weeks ago and I've been mentoring her and sharing my approach etc. She is a PA and recently done Prince 2 and eventually wants a career change. Now today I get an email from this other person and feeling a little irritated. Especially when they seem to be wanting to hire a perm BA / PM (for 40k) for me to hand over to at the end of my 3 months.

What would you do? Is this IR35 compliant? I wouldn't have thought a contract PM should be providing personal development for permies. I'm all for knowledge sharing but the request I had today via email from the permie was very explicit in wanting to shadow me with a view to applying for future PM roles. What's the best way to decline this?

cojak
20th June 2017, 19:35
Funnily enough this exact same question reemerged today.

Have a look - my response would be the same.

But basically - ask for more money.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/120444-asked-train-another-contractor.html

simplicity
20th June 2017, 19:41
Funnily enough this exact same question reemerged today.

Have a look - my response would be the same.

But basically - ask for more money.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/120444-asked-train-another-contractor.html

Thanks just had a look at the other post- I guess the difference is im being asked to train up a permie rather than a contractor. Is there any mention of this being prohibited under IR35?

MrMarkyMark
20th June 2017, 19:43
Thanks just had a look at the other post- I guess the difference is im being asked to train up a permie rather than a contractor. Is there any mention of this being prohibited under IR35?

Couldn't be any further from, surely.

northernladuk
20th June 2017, 20:23

I'd read the guides again if I were you. ;)

cojak
20th June 2017, 21:49

No difference- if you notice there was a reference to IR35 which was reasonable as a D&C concern.

But if it's individuals asking you, just say that you're already mentoring one person and that's enough (and I'd wean the original one off as well if I were you - you're not a permie and are getting nothing for your good nature).

FrontEnder
21st June 2017, 09:44
If it's an individual asking you to train them, that's different to say the Dev manager asking you to train one of the team.

If it's the former I'd politely tell them where to go. "I'm sorry, but my contract here is only for to deliver XXXX. In depth training is not what I'm here for and spending too much time doing this risks the delivery of this project."

MrMarkyMark
21st June 2017, 09:46
If it's an individual asking you to train them, that's different to say the Dev manager asking you to train one of the team.

If it's the former I'd politely tell them where to go. "I'm sorry, but my contract here is only for to deliver XXXX. In depth training is not what I'm here for and spending too much time doing this risks the delivery of this project."

This, sorry I misread what you said.

These are individuals asking you not your Client Co engager?

Tell them to do one (politely).

Fred Bloggs
21st June 2017, 10:14
Isn't it an invoicing opportunity - "Would you train up our staff please?"

"Certainly, would you like to explain the scope of what you need. I'll put together a proposal for you."

Eh?

FrontEnder
21st June 2017, 10:31

To add to this, if the current one you're mentoring just asked you and it's not been agreed you've agreed to you're potentially breaching your contract.

Bee
21st June 2017, 13:04
Mentoring it's not the same as training.

I had a contract as a PM and my client assigned a mentor to me. I know, It's strange and I felt strange but at the end make sense because my mentor helped me to know the people from the different areas of the projects, make familiar with the tools, procedures, or in case if I need any assistance.

When I was in a Consultant company, as a PM in one of my projects the client also asked me to mentor a permie member of my team because he was going to replacing me after I leave. I'm not supposed to be in the same client forever, no problem with at and make sense for me.

You don't need to give him a full training how to be a PM but give him some guidelines.

I think that sometimes we need to measure if the relation that we have we the client it's more important than getting more money. At the end all of this it's common sense.