• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6167504.stm

I am sure this will come as no surprise to anyone but London council tax payers beware!

News manipulation:

Notice it isn't 1 billion only 900 million!! & certainly will not be the last cost creep.

I also read about the toxic cleanup of the area hasn't yet begun - wonder which home county will get all that contaminated top soil!

It will make the Millennium Dome project look good

Update - now it's doomed for sure:

" This project is under control"
    Tessa Jowell
    Culture secretary
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BBC
      The expected cost of the 2012 London Olympic park has risen 40% since the games were won in July 2005. The new £3.3bn estimate, which does not include a revised security bill or regeneration costs, is still far below the £8bn some critics say is likely.
      "Still far below"? There's plenty of time - at this rate of increase, about 30% a year, we'll be looking at over £10 billion by 2012!

If one considers other recent capital projects like the Scottish parliament, it could be as much as £30 billion!

Unusual for a Labour government to mismanage costs!

Comment

Cheaper than a war with Iran.

But not as much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6167504.stm

I am sure this will come as no surprise to anyone but London council tax payers beware!
          So:

They hadn't been planning on paying VAT.
          They hadn't planned for inflation in transport costs.
          They hadn't planned to write in that it should be done on time, so now they'll pay "delivery partner" CLM an extra £400m for that.

Comment

That's one contract I don't want to get as a PM........!!

Comment

Textbook

Classic 'Chinese water torture' status reporting, as written about by Ed Yourdon in "Death March", on a grand scale.

Look on his works, ye lesser project managers, and despair.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
                Classic 'Chinese water torture' status reporting, as written about by Ed Yourdon in "Death March", on a grand scale.

Look on his works, ye lesser project managers, and despair.
                To know Yourdon, you must be of the older generation, TL.
                I wonder how many project managers know of him.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Govt reckons £3.3bn, Evening Standard reckons £6bn. I wonder which will be closer, come 2012?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

What's a few billion quid these days?

Stick a couple of extra taxes on evil motorists and tax dodging IT contractors and it will be paid for in no time.

Comment

Working...
                    X