• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A quick ? for the landlords

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick ? for the landlords

Legionnaires Disease. Let's face it - we've all contracted it at one time or another, but as long as they pay their rent on time we don't want our tenants to catch it.

Hence the need to complete Legionella checks.

But what, actually do these checks involve? I've read the checklist (below) but it doesn't really go into the nitty gritty. My property manager charges me 95 GBP to do one, so it is not a life or death amount, but I'd be interested in learning what others do. It's a domestic property.

http://www.highspeedtraining.co.uk/h...egionella1.pdf

This should help you

Legionnaires' disease - Legionella and landlords? responsibilities

You don't need to pay someone £95 for this.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Do you like movies about Legionnaire deserters who became Gladiators?

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        This should help you

Legionnaires' disease - Legionella and landlords? responsibilities

You don't need to pay someone £95 for this.
        +1

I did the assessment myself. My letting agent wanted to do their own assessment but it's just another way of charging you extra for something that isn't required.

In most UK properties the biggest risk comes from unclean shower heads and drinking water from a tank (hot water usually). If the tenants clean the shower properly and don't drink from the hot tap then there is a very low risk of LD.

I put together a statement to my letting agent and the tenant stating the risk, how to avoid it and that it would be reviewed if/when the water system is modified.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
          +1

I did the assessment myself. My letting agent wanted to do their own assessment but it's just another way of charging you extra for something that isn't required.

In most UK properties the biggest risk comes from unclean shower heads and drinking water from a tank (hot water usually). If the tenants clean the shower properly and don't drink from the hot tap then there is a very low risk of LD.

I put together a statement to my letting agent and the tenant stating the risk, how to avoid it and that it would be reviewed if/when the water system is modified.
          Do if the property has a combi boiler e.g. no water tank the tenant just needs to clean the shower head "regularly".

You are probably best saying how regularly.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Do if the property has a combi boiler e.g. no water tank the tenant just needs to clean the shower head "regularly".

You are probably best saying how regularly.
            Yes. I have system boilers so I cover both.

No one has questioned the notice so far and how often to clean the shower heads. It's the tenant's responsibility to clean the property whilst they are living there. You can lead a horse to water ...

I always insist the professional clean at the start/end of the tenancy includes all the shower heads.

Comment

Working...
            X