• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory Brexit DOOM™: BTL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tory Brexit DOOM™: BTL

Buy-to-let UK property sales fall by almost 50% in a year

Council of Mortgage Lenders downgrades forecast saying landlords are withdrawing from market in response to tax changes and tighter lending rules

The number of properties bought by landlords has almost halved in a year after a tax and regulatory clampdown, prompting a leading banking body to downgrade its forecasts for buy-to-let lending in 2017 and 2018.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders said buy to let had had a weak start to 2017, with lending falling faster than expected as landlords withdrew from the market in response to major tax changes and tighter lending rules.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...t-50-in-a-year

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Buy-to-let UK property sales fall by almost 50% in a year

Council of Mortgage Lenders downgrades forecast saying landlords are withdrawing from market in response to tax changes and tighter lending rules

The number of properties bought by landlords has almost halved in a year after a tax and regulatory clampdown, prompting a leading banking body to downgrade its forecasts for buy-to-let lending in 2017 and 2018.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders said buy to let had had a weak start to 2017, with lending falling faster than expected as landlords withdrew from the market in response to major tax changes and tighter lending rules.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...t-50-in-a-year
    Is that Tory doom as in doom because Osborne introduced the rules, or because it's believed that BTL investors are Tories? This needs to be made clear before glib comments can be made.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      or because it's believed that BTL investors are Tories?
      I don't think many of them will vote Tory anymore

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I don't think many of them will vote Tory anymore
        So are you telling me that Labour voters are selfish ba5tards and not the happy-go-luck altristic tree hungers that we are lead to believe?

Comment

Not much of a house price drop. Yet. I live in hope.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Not much of a house price drop. Yet. I live in hope.
            We'll get there.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              We'll get there.
              Sooner the better. The longer the bubble grows the worse it will be when it pops.

Comment

Isn't this what the tax changes were FOR... i.e. to drive behaviour not collect cash by stopping the well-to-do buying every single house as a BTL to make profit off the less well-to-do, so that pressure on property drops and more people can buy their own home?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Isn't this what the tax changes were FOR... i.e. to drive behaviour not collect cash by stopping the well-to-do buying every single house as a BTL to make profit off the less well-to-do, so that pressure on property drops and more people can buy their own home?
                  Exactly. However, sensible Conservative polices aren't fashionable.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Isn't this what the tax changes were FOR...
                    No, the tax changes were to raise much needed revenue in a relatively stealthy way.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X