• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK entering new golden engineering age

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK entering new golden engineering age

Crossrail being finished. London bridge upgrade being finished. Victoria station upgrade being finished.

Its just like the Victorian times all over again.

Now lets build some power stations....

The new aircraft carrier sets sail today. [emoji636]
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Crossrail being finished. London bridge upgrade being finished. Victoria station upgrade being finished.

Now lets build some power stations....

Bring back rickets
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Crossrail being finished.
        In September 2009 the project received £1 billion in funding. The money was lent to TfL by the European Investment Bank...I wonder who that is?
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Bring back rickets
          I worked with someone at JPM Angel Court who got rickets. Their ground floor office was particularly cramped and gloomy. The doctor prescribed him an hour walk every lunchtime.

sasguru got rickets a while ago. Too much time in the gimp outfit in NLyUK's basement....

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            In September 2009 the project received £1 billion in funding. The money was lent to TfL by the European Investment Bank...I wonder who that is?
            The UK is still part of Europe and has no plans to leave.

However I think it is very bad news. EIB will end up getting their money back and loads more. Why did the UK let them get a slice of the pie? Disgrace.

The UK has had way too much foreign investment over recent years. UK train passengers pay over the odds so that the owners, mostly European governments, can put the money into their own rail networks.

Well done the EU for tucking us up for so many years. However enough is enough.

Comment

The UK is still part of Europe and has no plans to leave.

However I think it is very bad news. EIB will end up getting their money back and loads more. Why did the UK let them get a slice of the pie? Disgrace.

The UK has had way too much foreign investment over recent years. UK train passengers pay over the odds so that the owners, mostly European governments, can put the money into their own rail networks.

Well done the EU for tucking us up for so many years. However enough is enough.
              Nothing to do with the EU but the Tories grand plans to have a UK PLC. The state shouldn't own anything apart from the minds of the people but it doesn't matter if other countries own the country
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Crossrail is 73 miles. HS1 is 68 miles.

I can't find a number for how many thousands of miles of railways the Victorians built, but I'm sure it's more.

Edit: 23,440 miles at the time of WW1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeching_cuts
                Last edited by VectraMan; 26 June 2017, 07:57.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Crossrail is more of an example of a golden age for engineering in Germany:

Crossrail’s sixth and seventh tunnelling machines on their way to London - Crossrail

"Both machines have recently completed their factory testing at the Herrenknecht factory in Germany and are now in the process of being dismantled, boxed up and transported to Rotterdam, where they will be put on a ferry to Tilbury in Essex. "

Fookwit Brexiters.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

There are no British companies that build power stations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Power_Systems

Rolls-Royce Power Systems AG is the name of a German industrial concern
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_Company

the General Electric Company, or GEC, was a major UK-based industrial conglomerate
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northe...ing_Industries

Defunct 1989
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 June 2017, 08:10.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X