• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retired — and still paying off the mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retired — and still paying off the mortgage

and we're smiling about it.

Should move to Germany or France spend half that amount get twice the size or retire sooner and enjoy life.

Why are Brits so keen to work until the grave?

More and more of us are having to take out 30, 35 or even 40-year loans, but there are risks

Lauren and Jamie Nazareth may be 69 when they make their final repayment
    Lauren and Jamie Nazareth may be 69 when they make their final repaymentTOM STOCKILL
    There was only one way for Jamie and Lauren Nazareth to move up the property ladder — take out a 39-year mortgage, but they could still be paying off this debt in retirement. The couple, both 31, signed up for a £450,000 loan with the Family building society last August to buy a house in Hanwell, west London.

The couple could be 69 by the time they make their final repayment. Their current state pension age is 68.

They are among the growing number of homeowners having to borrow for longer to afford their repayments. But, by doing so, they pay more interest and build up equity in their home more slowly. They are also less protected if interest rates rise and property prices stall — or even fall.

Last week the Bank of England’s chief economist, Andy Haldane, suggested a rate rise may be on the cards later this year. It would be the first since 2007. His comments come amid growing signs that the property market is cooling. Sales last year were 7% lower than in 2015, according to Lloyds.

David Hollingworth of the broker L&C said: “When an increase in interest rates does come it will push up monthly payments; something that is compounded by taking the mortgage over a longer term. Paying off the mortgage at a slower rate means homeowners will have a bigger balance to contend with.

“The current slowing rate of house price inflation is a timely reminder that homeowners can’t simply rely on rising prices to build their equity.”

More than 60% of first-time-buyer loans are for longer than 25 years, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders — double the number a decade ago. Just over a third (36%) of those moving home borrow for longer than a quarter of a century.

But for homeowners looking to secure a mortgage, especially with a smaller deposit, extending the term could be the difference between getting a deal and having to stay in rented accommodation or a property that is too small for their family.
    source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/m...gage-q92bfc2m0

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Bunch of scumbags at the Co-Op tried to push us to 34 years for a £285k mortgage, citing "affordability" and saying we could make overpayments to bring the term down, managed to borrow £234k (first property fell through) over just over 15 years with First Direct instead - I think it may be more affordable in the long run!

Comment

Bonkers. The difference in payments between 25 years and 40 years is not much.

So looking at £100k, 5% :-
      25 years : £585/month, £175k
      40 years : £482/month, £231k

Young people need more lessons on debt, interest rates, and statistics. And mostly, the importance of avoiding debt.

Comment

On the other hand, house prices always go up. So you should borrow to the hilt. The bubble cannot be allowed to pop.....

Comment

At each remortgage I reset to 35 years but overpay monthly the difference to a 20 year mortgage, so if I'm benched I won't need to panic about high mortgage payments and can just pay the lower amount

Comment

The Next Chapter is Lifetime Mortgages

Paying off the mortgage is so last century.

I've got a big mortgage and only pay interest. I'm stuffed if I'm going to bung a load of cash into paying off something I don't need to when for a fraction of the monthly figure I can drive around in a 160 mph sports car, overtaking all those mortgage-paid Quashqai drivers with unashamed swagger.

I was shocked to find my mate Johnny - who's got shed loads of assets - had actually cleared up one big mortgage with equity release.

The old days of building up next eggs are dead and buried.
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Bonkers. The difference in payments between 25 years and 40 years is not much.

So looking at £100k, 5% :-
              25 years : £585/month, £175k
              40 years : £482/month, £231k

Young people need more lessons on debt, interest rates, and statistics. And mostly, the importance of avoiding debt.
              Boomers can teach the young how to live beyond their means then slide the debt binge over to them to pay. Made up to full final salary retirement doesn't come cheap you know.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

There's arguments for and against longer term mortgages. The main disadvantage is that if you take a 35 year term and take this long to pay the mortgage back, then you will of course pay a lot more interest. If I take say a £500,000 mortgage and use a rate of 1.5%, you would pay £2000pcm over 25 years and £1530pcm over a 35 year term. The big difference is that after 2 years you will have a loan of £466,000 compared to £477,000.

For a lot of first time buyers, they are throwing everything into the pot in terms of a deposit so a longer term can make more sense here. Once they have furnished the place and rebuilt the war chest to a suitable level of comfort, it would be worth taking advantage of the 10% overpayment facility and getting the mortgage paid down as quickly as possible to simulate a shorter term. This obviously takes discipline however.

A lot of this will come down to personal preference. For some, they will want to take advantage of historically low interest rates and be mortgage free as soon as possible whereas others will feel that they can get better returns on their money elsewhere.

Comment

I'm SO glad we resisted the urge to push ourselves with a mortgage. £30k down on a £170k house. Could have easily gone mad and used the deposit to buy something far more expensive.

Yeah, it's not a mansion, but we like it and the sub £600pcm mortgage gives us huge peace of mind and made it realistic to take out an additional home improvement loan, which will obviously be paid off far sooner than the mortgage. Reckon it's worth £200 - £220k now, after our work and I'm quite happy there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    Paying off the mortgage is so last century.

I've got a big mortgage and only pay interest. I'm stuffed if I'm going to bung a load of cash into paying off something I don't need to when for a fraction of the monthly figure I can drive around in a 160 mph sports car, overtaking all those mortgage-paid Quashqai drivers with unashamed swagger.

I was shocked to find my mate Johnny - who's got shed loads of assets - had actually cleared up one big mortgage with equity release.

The old days of building up next eggs are dead and buried.
                    Hard to get a resi mortgage (at least a good/competitive one) that allows interest-only payments now.

I prefer to have my debts paid off. That way I don't "have" to work to sustain a certain level of lifestyle.

Having said that, debt is so cheap right now so I released a heap of equity from my home so that I could pay off more expensive investment debt and also bought myself a 160mph (electronically limited) car

The important thing for me is to have debt only if it is "managed debt" i.e. self-servicing and for investment. I don't want to leave my kids with a debt pile as their inheritance. And in my middle age I don't want to worry about finding £thousands each month to pay the mortgage or the bills.

Comment

Working...
                    X