• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is FRM worth pursuing for a Developer / Tester?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is FRM worth pursuing for a Developer / Tester?

As some of you might already be one, I just wanted to know, if it is worth investing time & effort for FRM (Financial Risk Manager), if you are a developer / tester?

I am technically sound but my Finance domain expertise is almost zero. I was wondering if it is really worth doing FRM or CFA 1 to enhance my chances to continue working in Finance Sector? I understand the exams are bit tough.

If you are working in the sector it is enough to read a book, as long as you understand it.

I've had quite a few interviews based on "I read a book". That's all the analysts do, they build models based on what they read in a text book, a lot of them don't have a formal qualification in finance, they've picked it up on the job.

However having said that, I would say a formal qualification is always better, I personally do have a formal qualification in accounting and finance, but the interviews were based on what I read in the book and not the basic stuff I learned years ago.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 June 2017, 08:04.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
    X