• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMS Queen Elizabeth could be vulnerable to cyber-attack

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMS Queen Elizabeth could be vulnerable to cyber-attack

Now I'm fully expecting this story to be an elaborate hoax, I mean who in their right mind would spend £3.5bn on a new aircraft carrier running XP?

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...e-cyber-attack
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I mean who in their right mind would spend £3.5bn on a new aircraft carrier running XP?

Comment

Don't the majority of the UK's cash machines work on Windows XP still?
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

It will be fine, they will just run the latest malware patches!!
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Looks trident may also be running on win XP (or even older)
          When launching missiles they need to pay a ransom first to unlock the ransomware

Comment

R Adm Keith Blount, head of the Navy’s carrier programme, said: “This ship has been built in a very unique way: assembled in Rosyth but built around the UK in six different yards. This is the moment where that British shipbuilding expertise meets the professionalism of the Royal Navy to give us a ship to be proud of.”

However the coding was done by Bob Shawadiwadi.

Comment

First reported by the Register December 2015

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/1...xp_royal_navy/

The Royal Navy’s new aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth appears to be using Windows XP.

The ship is a year from completion, so there is plenty of time yet to bin it for a more up-to-date and secure version of the venerable operating system.

The Ministry of Defence is not returning our calls, but this could always be, as one reader says, “comedy wallpaper on a technician’s laptop...”

Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 27 June 2017, 07:38.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Now I'm fully expecting this story to be an elaborate hoax, I mean who in their right mind would spend £3.5bn on a new aircraft carrier running XP?
                Playing Devil's advocate, a Project of this size and duration will probably straddle half a dozen different versions of operating system.
                At least they have opted for one that is tried and tested to a reasonable extent..............even if it IS no longer universally supported!!
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

[Mark Deller, commander air on the Queen Elizabeth] added: “We are a very sanitised procurement train. I would say compared to the NHS buying computers off the shelf, I would think we are probably better than that.
                  Well that's my mind put at rest.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

A mate of mine was contracting on that as a tiler/fitter. I'd be more worried about tiles or wet panels in the bogs falling on my head than cyber attack.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X