• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trip to the firing range

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip to the firing range

Birmingham school trip to firing range criticised - BBC News

Was this a good or bad thing?
    Good
    69.23%
    Bad
    23.08%
    The target should have been Theresa May aka AW's mum
    7.69%

Bit young for it, I think - and very naive to not consider the backlash of having a photo like that!

Probably not a brilliant decision, overall, the more I think about it. Kids don't really understand the nuances of killing to save life. At that age they're still going to be learning about the overall concept of Police (and other emergency services). I'd leave the detailed introduction to public order and armed policing for a few years, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Bit young for it, I think - and very naive to not consider the backlash of having a photo like that!

Probably not a brilliant decision, overall, the more I think about it. Kids don't really understand the nuances of killing to save life.
      However they do like guns?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        However they do like guns?
        So? Mine likes eating grass, but I still don't let him!

Comment

Elder son went clay pigeon shooting aged 10. Baby bp 10 this year and wants to do the same.

Those clay pigeons are a menace and must be culled....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Elder son went clay pigeon shooting aged 10. Baby bp 10 this year and wants to do the same.

Those clay pigeons are a menace and must be culled....
            So, firstly - I don't see clay pigeon shooting as the same. That's a sport, the same as target shooting. What was demonstrated here, though, was the concept of a pistol as a self defence weapon - I think that's a bit of different game, personally.

Plus, these kids were what, 7? Like I say, I just think a bit young and I must admit it doesn't sit right with me.

I don't think guns are evil - I've been shooting plenty of times, including at military ranges with proper rifles and those enemy style targets), but there's a fine line. Interestingly, even when I was a teen shooting rifles with cadets (So, what, 15 years or so ago) there was an element of care in what photos were taken and what was encouraged and discouraged. Officially, you'd only ever see prone position shooting - not more tactical positions, such as standing or on a knee. Likewise, pistols weren't really allowed (Not sure if that was a full on ban, but I got to shoot pistols once and it was treated as a hush hush exercise)
            Last edited by vwdan; 27 June 2017, 11:59.

Comment

I remember being taken mullet shooting aged 14. The fact that it was illegal made it even more fun.

Comment

Whats wrong with air guns?
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Didn't know you were AssSnob's dad.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You should do. It'll help him cough up furballs. Or am I thinking of something else?
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X