• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Housing bust ‘likely in next few years’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Housing bust ‘likely in next few years’

Housing bust ‘likely in next few years’

By Chris Giles, Economics Editor

A housing market bust is likely within the next few years because house price growth has been grounded in unrealistic expectations of double-digit annual rises, a report by a prominent economist and former adviser to Gordon Brown will warn on Wednesday.

Throwing cold water on the current housing market euphoria, David Miles, chief UK economist of Morgan Stanley, says it is only possible to explain the more than doubling of house prices in the past decade if people’s demand for housing has been heavily influenced by expectations that the rapid price rises would continue.

-----------

Originally posted by AtW
    Housing bust ‘likely in next few years’

By Chris Giles, Economics Editor

A housing market bust is likely within the next few years because house price growth has been grounded in unrealistic expectations of double-digit annual rises, a report by a prominent economist and former adviser to Gordon Brown will warn on Wednesday.

Throwing cold water on the current housing market euphoria, David Miles, chief UK economist of Morgan Stanley, says it is only possible to explain the more than doubling of house prices in the past decade if people’s demand for housing has been heavily influenced by expectations that the rapid price rises would continue.

-----------

My willingness to accept a fiver from you is heavily influenced by my expectation that otherw will continue to be willing to accept it from me. That doesn't stop the monetary system from working.

Comment

Keep hoping AtW.
      Having been brave enough to enter the house market long ago I have absolutely no fear of negative equity, and some of us bought our houses to live in and it's 'worth' to me is all the money I continue to save in rent.

Edit: And no, I have no idea who has a spare £50,000.00 cash. Neither do I care.
      Boom boom boom boom
      A-haw haw haw haw
      Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
      Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by wonderwaif
        it's 'worth' to me is all the money I continue to save in rent.
        over interest, shurely?

Rent = money down the drain.
        Interest = what you pay to get something you want.

Rent = what you pay to get something you want.
        Interest = money down the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
          over interest, shurely?

Rent = money down the drain.
          Interest = what you pay to get something you want.

Rent = what you pay to get something you want.
          Interest = money down the drain.
          This has been done to death, so I'll let other people retread this ground..
          I have no intention of detailing my finances as there is no need.
          I'm quite happy for AtW to continue to hope for a property crash, and equally happy that for me buying beats renting by a huge margin.
          You can all keep renting with my blessing, you can even feel smug about it if you like.
          Boom boom boom boom
          A-haw haw haw haw
          Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
          Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by wonderwaif
            This has been done to death, so I'll let other people retread this ground..
            I have no intention of detailing my finances as there is no need.
            I'm quite happy for AtW to continue to hope for a property crash, and equally happy that for me buying beats renting by a huge margin.
            You can all keep renting with my blessing, you can even feel smug about it if you like.
            Indeed it has. We do all seem to be in different situations. For example, as I remarked yesterday, I'm buying for non-financial reasons, and NOT happy about it financially.

Comment

Doomed!

Comment

In a nutshell

Property will ALWAYS rise over the long term.

If you are looking to make a quick buck then maybe its not the time to take the plunge but over a 30 year period you are very unlikely to realise a loss on any property investment.

In 30 years time people will remeber fondly when you could buy a studio flat in the East End for 150K.

You can only really go on historical figures as nobody knows whats going to happen in the future.

In accounting terms owning a property is adding and asset to your portfolio and taking out a mortgage is essentially paying for an asset. Renting is a liability.

So yes there is a risk attached to owning property but ATW, isnt it the Russians that say , "he who risks , drinks champagne" or something like that.
                There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
                  In accounting terms owning a property is adding and asset to your portfolio
                  Moderator! A word to sunnysan please, for using the p-word!

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
                    Property will ALWAYS rise over the long term.
                    Really, why's that then.

I can accept that it's true that average property prices always rises.

But it certainly isn't true to say that *all* property prices will always rise. There are many examples of property in some areas reaching levels which are only justified because of some transitory reason, which then fall back when that reason disappears, never to reach the same heights again

Who's to say that: econonic stituation UK 200X, isn't a transitory reason.

BTW they used to say that there was no five year period where the stock market had lost money. They don't say that any more.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X