PDA

View Full Version : Brexodus has started

Eirikur
29th June 2017, 09:37
I notice it in my direct surroundings, where many EU financed research companies are based. Mostly top level educated Germans, French,Italian and Dutch nuclear scientists are leaving because of brexit, the increased racism as a result and fear subsidies for their jobs will be culled. I'm sure the brexiteers love to go back to Victorian times and go back to the coal fuelled steam age.

Also I see in some Facebook groups, I am member of, that many EU nationals are packing their bags.
Just read some of the comments on this article and you see why: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/29/brexodus-eu-nationals-citizenship-uk-brexit

SueEllen
29th June 2017, 10:00
Bye Bye

We don't need nuclear scientists, psychiatrists, lecturers, research scientists, nurses, fruit pickers ...

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 10:09
Bye Bye

We don't need nuclear scientists, psychiatrists, lecturers, research scientists, nurses, fruit pickers ...

It's far too late for psychiatrists.

sasguru
29th June 2017, 10:10
Problem is the cream (whether UK or EU citizens) can work anywhere and since Brexit has made the UK unappealing to many, the only people staying by definition will be people without options i.e. the dregs (whether UK or EU citizens).
And companies will move to where the cream are. That used to be London, now it will be elsewhere.
All this has its own inexorable logic and it won't happen overnight, but 5 years from now, the employment market in the Uk is going to be very different - and not for the better.

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 10:15
Problem is the cream (whether UK or EU citizens) can work anywhere and since Brexit has made the UK unappealing to many, the only people staying by definition will be people without options i.e. the dregs (whether UK or EU citizens).
And companies will move to where the cream are. That used to be London, now it will be elsewhere.
All this has its own inexorable logic and it won't happen overnight, but 5 years from now, the employment market in the Uk is going to be very different - and not for the better.

Sadly, the people who lack the capability to understand this will be the most affected.

Eirikur
29th June 2017, 10:22
Sadly, the people who lack the capability to understand this will be the most affected.

Which are the people who voted for Brexit

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 10:23
Which are the people who voted for Brexit

Largely (but not entirely).

Pip in a Poke
29th June 2017, 10:26

Look, I was reasonably on the fence over Brexit but we've got to accept the result and move forward.

All you naysayers are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy; the atmosphere is positively toxic thanks to all the bleating from the Guardian and their ilk & it is this that will be putting off investment in the country, not our exit from the EU.

And, while I'm at it, I'm not also a huge fan of Mr Trump but making the leader of the most powerful country in the world the focus of the "daily hate" isn't exactly going to ensure we're first in the queue for a trade deal is it?

BlasterBates
29th June 2017, 10:26
As the economy shrinks it is the highly paid skilled bit that will disappear, in particular the finance sector. The irony is that the skilled leave voters who voted to kick out the unskilled from the fruit farms, will themselves replace them.

sasguru
29th June 2017, 10:28
Look, I was reasonably on the fence over Brexit but we've got to accept the result and move forward.

All you naysayers are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy; the atmosphere is positively toxic thanks to all the bleating from the Guardian and their ilk & it is this that will be putting off investment in the country, not our exit from the EU.

And, while I'm at it, I'm not also a huge fan of Mr Trump but making the leader of the most powerful country in the world the focus of the "daily hate" isn't exactly going to ensure we're first in the queue for a trade deal is it?

sasguru off you cockwomble.
I'm sure the chairmen of industry base their decisions on the Guardian.

AtW
29th June 2017, 10:34

Sadly they will blame those who understood it

SueEllen
29th June 2017, 10:34

Eirikur is not the only person noticing this.

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 10:35

The 'talking the country down' argument. Nice!

AtW
29th June 2017, 10:35
As the economy shrinks it is the highly paid skilled bit that will disappear, in particular the finance sector. The irony is that the skilled leave voters who voted to kick out the unskilled from the fruit farms, will themselves replace them.

Nope - in Brexit Britain very few will be able to afford strawberries...

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 10:37
Sadly they will blame those who understood it

For talking the country down.

SueEllen
29th June 2017, 10:38

Grow your own - if you have a space for a hanging basket you can grow strawberries and tomatoes.

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 10:39
Grow your own - if you have a space for a hanging basket you can grow strawberries and tomatoes.

That's the spirit!

http://victorygardenww2.weebly.com/uploads/1/5/9/6/15967574/8674578_orig.jpg

Pip in a Poke
29th June 2017, 10:57

An inneresting little fact for you.

Do you know why strawberries are called strawberries? Well neither did I until recently after growing some myself.

I found that the berries were getting attacked by woodlice and, after consulting one of the many fonts of knowledge on matters horticultural in my local, it turns out that you need to have a layer of straw for the fruiting bodies to rest on. The woodlice and other critters, you see, don't like straw as they can't crawl over it.

And it's this practice of using straw in this manner that gives rise to the name strawberry.

I should have known that being a Somerset girl!

The_Equalizer
29th June 2017, 11:00

I'll send you some. I've got a few in the raised beds.

original PM
29th June 2017, 11:01

Do you know why strawberries are called strawberries? Well neither did I until recently after growing some myself.

I found that the berries were getting attacked by woodlice and, after consulting one of the many fonts of knowledge on matters horticultural in my local, it turns out that you need to have a layer of straw for the fruiting bodies to rest on. The woodlice and other critters, you see, don't like straw as they can't crawl over it.

And it's this practice of using straw in this manner that gives rise to the name strawberry.

And they are not even berries - did your font of all knowledge tell you that too?

https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=63171

The_Equalizer
29th June 2017, 11:02

You're confusing people. Getting your hands dirty is frowned upon by some on this board.

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 11:03
You're confusing people. Getting your hands dirty is frowned upon by some on this board.

They'll get used to it soon enough.

Pip in a Poke
29th June 2017, 11:05
And they are not even berries - did your font of all knowledge tell you that too?

https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=63171

What qualifies a fruit to be a berry?

We're all familiar with common edible berries that we buy from Waitrose, such as strawberries and raspberries, but why are these called berries and grapes, for example, are not?

A reasonable hypothesis is:

To qualify as a berry the fruit must be rotund in its morphology and its dimensions must lie within certain parameters.

This clears up our grape as it is not round and nobody can postulate that an apple is a berry as the magnitude of its dimensions exceeds certain bounds.

This does, however, leave the awkward question of the raspberry/strawberry axis.

In my mind they are incorrectly deemed to be berries. This is not unusual in the world of edible produce; indeed the strawberry isn't a true fruit as its seeds are not contained within the carpel. Furthermore , why is a tomato considered a vegetable when it us a fruit?

The_Equalizer
29th June 2017, 11:06
They'll get used to it soon enough.

It'll do them no harm.

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 11:06

We're all familiar with common edible berries that we buy from Waitrose, such as strawberries and raspberries, but why are these called berries and grapes, for example, are not?

To qualify as a berry the fruit must be rotund in its morphology and its dimensions must lie within certain parameters.

This clears up our grape as it is not round and nobody can postulate that an apple is a berry as the magnitude of its dimensions exceeds certain bounds.

This does, however, leave the awkward question of the raspberry/strawberry axis.

In my mind they are incorrectly deemed to be berries. This is not unusual in the world of edible produce; indeed the strawberry isn't a true fruit as its seeds are not contained within the carpel. Furthermore , why is a tomato considered a vegetable when it us a fruit?

In everyday terms they are berries. In botanical terms they are not true berries.

sasguru
29th June 2017, 11:20

Oooh 'ark at the horny-handed son of the soil.:laugh:laugh
You really are the epitome of mediocrity.

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 11:21
It'll do them no harm.

Yes, a leaner meaner Britain!

The_Equalizer
29th June 2017, 11:22

I'd love to know where you get this phrase from. Is it common slang in third rate public schools?

original PM
29th June 2017, 11:24

Well as Miles Kington said

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 11:24

You're being unfair. Our Brexiteer friends, having retreated from 'it will be a resounding success' to 'it is all the fault of the remonaners for talking the country down', are now entrenching in a 'we'll just have to make the best of it' position. Overall, that's fairly positive.

Troll
29th June 2017, 11:25
I notice it in my direct surroundings, where many EU financed research companies are based. Mostly top level educated Germans, French,Italian and Dutch nuclear scientists are leaving because of brexit, the increased racism as a result and fear subsidies for their jobs will be culled. I'm sure the brexiteers love to go back to Victorian times and go back to the coal fuelled steam age.

Also I see in some Facebook groups, I am member of, that many EU nationals are packing their bags.
Just read some of the comments on this article and you see why: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/29/brexodus-eu-nationals-citizenship-uk-brexit

A Deloitte study, published this week, reveals that nearly half of all highly skilled EU workers could leave the UK within five years.

How do we get rid of the remaining 50%?

Paddy
29th June 2017, 11:27

:rolleyes:

Do you also know that milk comes from cows?

Pip in a Poke
29th June 2017, 11:28
Well as Miles Kington said

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Ah, once a regular at the Hop Pole in Limpley Stoke.

Could never work out what he was doing working for the Independent. Perhaps it wasn't such a rabid lefty rag back then.

Eirikur
29th June 2017, 11:29

Back to the good old days

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KezhQ6waZT0/TAOv9Kh74YI/AAAAAAAAXHQ/gTKo3nh0Mi4/s1600/campscene2.jpg

BrilloPad
29th June 2017, 11:30
So will house prices start dropping now?

The_Equalizer
29th June 2017, 11:30
Back to the good old days

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KezhQ6waZT0/TAOv9Kh74YI/AAAAAAAAXHQ/gTKo3nh0Mi4/s1600/campscene2.jpg

Racist!!!! :grin

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 11:31

Carry on as you are. The trouble is the jobs will go with them, so it won't help you move up the food chain.

The_Equalizer
29th June 2017, 11:32
Carry on as you are. The trouble is the jobs will go with them, so it won't help you move up the food chain.

Still we'll take you down with us. :laugh

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 11:32
Still we'll take you down with us. :laugh

I thrive in chaos.

Eirikur
29th June 2017, 11:33
Racist!!!! :grin

Sorry i couldn't find pictures of stone age Britain with Asian and black minorities on it, please use imagination to include them

The_Equalizer
29th June 2017, 11:34
Sorry i couldn't find pictures of stone age Britain with Asian and black minorities on it, please use imagination to include them

No excuse. Racist!!!

SueEllen
29th June 2017, 11:36

What did the Romans for us?

The_Equalizer
29th June 2017, 11:37

Stop confusing the poor racist.

Eirikur
29th June 2017, 11:37

They modernised Britain. When they left Britain returned to the dark ages

Troll
29th June 2017, 11:46

How did we ever survive before EU membership?

Fronttoback
29th June 2017, 11:47

Time is passing by sas. Has your 1990 chess program made its opening move yet?

6 months he was at it!! 6 months :laugh

original PM
29th June 2017, 11:47
They modernised Britain. When they left Britain returned to the dark ages

Indeed - but exactly what were those dark ages - and were they really that dark?

‘Dark Ages’ | English Heritage (http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/learn/story-of-england/dark-ages/)

sasguru
29th June 2017, 11:48

Mainly by exploiting black and brown people and plundering their resources.
That option is off the table now, though.

sasguru
29th June 2017, 11:49

Are you still laughing at my teenage self? What do you think that says about you? :laugh:laugh

NotAllThere
29th June 2017, 11:51
Problem is the cream (whether UK or EU citizens) can work anywhere and since Brexit has made the UK unappealing to many, the only people staying by definition will be people without options i.e. the dregs (whether UK or EU citizens). ...No no no. Those who leave are the dregs. They just can't make it in the dynamic forwarding thinking innovative UK. :ohwell

The_Equalizer
29th June 2017, 11:51

I'd love to have been there for that conversation with his old man.

Dad: I've spent a huge sum of cash getting you to this point in your life, so son, what are your A-Level results...

sasguru
29th June 2017, 11:55
I'd love to have been there for that conversation with his old man.

Dad: I've spent a huge sum of cash getting you to this point in your life, so son, what are your A-Level results...

It's Ok I resat them and got AAA*B. Was in an inner city comprehensive then. One of the worst in London.

*One of the As doesn't count, it was General Studies.

The_Equalizer
29th June 2017, 11:58
It's Ok I resat them and got AAA*B. Was in an inner city comprehensive then. One of the worst in London.

Yeah, but what about the chess programme?

Fronttoback
29th June 2017, 11:59
Are you still laughing at my teenage self? What do you think that says about you? :laugh:laugh

The thing is, you haven't really progressed. You are still out of your depth.

Going through life like an austistic woodpecker - repeatedly smashing his beak on a lamppost. :laugh

sasguru
29th June 2017, 12:00
Yeah, but what about the chess programme?

It worked after a fashion. Taught me a lot. Including that sometimes you have to move on, something AussieSchlong didn't learn as he's still doing code maintenance in finance in middle-age.:laugh:laugh

Fronttoback
29th June 2017, 12:01

No S-levels? :eyes

sasguru
29th June 2017, 12:03
No S-levels? :eyes

Inner city comps didn't offer them as a rule.:rolleyes:

northernladyuk
The thing is, you haven't really progressed. You are still out of your depth.

Going through life like an austistic woodpecker - repeatedly smashing his beak on a lamppost. :laugh

I want to see kebuber operational in <6 months.

scooterscot

People will be saying the same thing of the coalition in a year's time when they've been shown to be totally inept. Mark my words.

Fix broken Britain. That's what Cameron said when he came into office. Oh how I laugh.

Fronttoback
29th June 2017, 12:05
It worked after a fashion. Taught me a lot. Including that sometimes you have to move on, something AussieSchlong didn't learn as he's still doing code maintenance in finance in middle-age.:laugh:laugh

It's in an infinite loop. It keeps trying to do pawn to e4 but can't quite break out of the loop that is checking if it's past sas bedtime yet.

Pawn to e4?
Is it bedtime? No, therefore it's start of day- GOTO 1
Pawn to e4?

sasguru
29th June 2017, 12:06
It's in an infinite loop. It keeps trying to do pawn to e4 but can't quite break out of the loop that is checking if it's past sas bedtime yet.

Pawn to e4?
Pawn to e4?

Oi back to code maintenance boy, or it's extra pole choking for you.

Fronttoback
29th June 2017, 12:06
Inner city comps didn't offer them as a rule.:rolleyes:

Bullsh1t! I did one

sasguru
29th June 2017, 12:08
Bullsh1t! I did one

Wow you must be a genius. Probably a millionaire director by now, eh?

The_Equalizer
Bullsh1t! I did one

You could be on to something there.

northernladyuk

Pawn to e4?
Pawn to e4?

I'm a chess player, not a coder, but I would expect that if coding, you would want to include the start square as well as the destination square.

Fronttoback
29th June 2017, 12:09
Wow you must be a genius. Probably a millionaire director by now, eh?

Oh god. I've had a good laugh again. Thanks.

I better do a bit of work. Bye for now.

The_Equalizer
29th June 2017, 12:09
I'm a chess player, not a coder, but I would expect that if coding, you would want to include the start square as well as the destination square.

Good point. It's important to be factually correct on CUK.

sasguru
29th June 2017, 12:10
Oh god. I've had a good laugh again. Thanks.

I better do a bit of work. Bye for now.

:laugh:laugh Indeed.

sasguru
29th June 2017, 12:10

But that's AussieSchlong's code. It's a bit special.

OwlHoot
29th June 2017, 12:12

So as well as all your other manifold accomplishments, you're a military genius too! :laugh

Fronttoback
29th June 2017, 12:13

You should know better then

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebraic_notation_(chess)

sasguru
29th June 2017, 12:14
So as well as all your other manifold accomplishments, you're a military genius too! :laugh

Well if you have any "manifold accomplishments" at all, humour isn't clearly one of them :D

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 12:14

That's originalPM. His Mum allows him 1 hour on Civ 5 before bedtime as a reward, if there are no skid marks in his pants.

scooterscot
29th June 2017, 12:15
Yes yes but when is a Strawberry dead?

billybiro

And again, I'm forced to post the image that sums up your opinion perfectly....

http://i.imgur.com/x3OXPpB.jpg

sasguru
That's originalPM. His Mum allows him 1 hour on Civ 5 before bedtime as a reward, if there are no skid marks in his pants.

:laugh:laugh:laugh Stop. Getting that belly laugh you get in CUK when you interact with the "Deep Losers".

northernladyuk
29th June 2017, 12:26
You should know better then

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebraic_notation_(chess)

I understand algebraic notation, but the long form (e.g. Ng1-f3) must surely be preferable when coding to the short form (e.g. Nf3), to avoid the occasional need to disamibguate (e.g. Ngf3). But I've never written a line of code in my life, so happy to be corrected. I would imagine in coding that even the piece descriptor ('N' for knight) is unnecessary and g1-f3 would adequately describe removing the piece that occupies square g1 and placing it on f3 (or perhaps removing the square g1 from the piece that occupies it and adding the square f3 to the piece - but that might be more complicated when managing captures??)

I do like the idea of coding so may teach myself some when I retire.

vetran
29th June 2017, 12:36

I'm assuming those stand for :

AnotherAnnoyingAhole Times Bullshit

They didn't tell you your real results were ungraded.

sasguru
29th June 2017, 12:41
I'm assuming those stand for :

AnotherAnnoyingAhole Times Bulltulip

They didn't tell you your real results were ungraded.

You went to all the effort of a completely inane and childish retort just for me? Ah bless.

vetran
29th June 2017, 12:42
You went to all the effort of a completely inane and childish retort just for me? Ah bless.

I like to sink to your level sometimes, its fun going that far down.

BrilloPad
29th June 2017, 12:44

I bet its better since you left. Weren't you the only one to get rapped over the knuckles with a ruler.

I am A1A1BC

Further mafs + special. Mafs + special. Physics. Chemistry.

Amizing I got an English "O" level.

darmstadt
29th June 2017, 16:09

Dunno, but you might want to have a look at the reasons why Britain joined the EU and that might with answering your question...

SueEllen
29th June 2017, 17:27
I bet its better since you left. Weren't you the only one to get rapped over the knuckles with a ruler.

To be fair most schools in London have got better hence the North-South divide in exam results.

DimPrawn
29th June 2017, 17:36
Bye Bye

Not if everyone is leaving, no. :happy

squarepeg
29th June 2017, 18:49

Four Europeans from our 20-strong team have already left. The remaining ones keep quiet when we ask them about extensions. We see a steady influx of Asians... when we talk to them they say they want to get ILTR and want to bring their families over. They are willing to work for less than Eastern Europeans. Was that the desired outcome?

SueEllen
29th June 2017, 20:20
Four Europeans from our 20-strong team have already left. The remaining ones keep quiet when we ask them about extensions. We see a steady influx of Asians... when we talk to them they say they want to get ILTR and want to bring their families over. They are willing to work for less than Eastern Europeans. Was that the desired outcome?

Cheap or efficient - pick one.